Shopping Discussion

Computer just got stolen - How can I find it???

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2011 11:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 16, 2005
954 posts
2 upvotes

Computer just got stolen - How can I find it???

Hi all,

(pardon if this is not the right area, looking for some help)

My home got broke into and PC tower and xbox was stolen. Police have no leads but I am checking Craigslist, ebay, kijiji etc. Anyone have luck in finding their stolen items for sale? What other sites should I be checking? Any other tips??????

Thanks
9 replies
Feb 11, 2007
745 posts
237 upvotes
Dave12345 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 10:54 am
Hi all,

(pardon if this is not the right area, looking for some help)

My home got broke into and PC tower and xbox was stolen. Police have no leads but I am checking Craigslist, ebay, kijiji etc. Anyone have luck in finding their stolen items for sale? What other sites should I be checking? Any other tips??????

Thanks

The Xbox should be easy to find if you registered it. Once someone goes online with it, Microsoft will be able to trace it. As for the PC, was it a name brand PC? More than likely you might be out of luck with that because the person will strip it or wipe it clean.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2005
954 posts
2 upvotes
Xbox was never played online (never registered) and the pc was custom built (antec case, AMD quadcore, 2x1tb hd etc).

I honestly dont expect to find it, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has had luck or tips that might help...
Jul 5, 2004
23771 posts
3303 upvotes
Even if the xbox was registered I doubt microsoft would trace it and tell you where it is.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4097 upvotes
Ottawa
jayp_1 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 11:06 am
The Xbox should be easy to find if you registered it. Once someone goes online with it, Microsoft will be able to trace it. As for the PC, was it a name brand PC? More than likely you might be out of luck with that because the person will strip it or wipe it clean.

How does that work in these cases? Does Microsoft release the IP of the user to you and you call the RCMP to have them file the paperwork with the user's ISP to release their name and address to them so they can get the swat team to raid the house of a poor 13yr old kid who got a deal on kijiji with the money he earned on his newspaper route?

Or does Microsoft release the info directly to the RCMP so they can file the paperwork to get a name/address to release to the local authorities? So your municipal police can get a judge to issue a search warrant on the 13yr old's parents' house?

:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
I hate losing stuff myself, but sorry to say but you're SOL at this point. Both things can be sold on the street quickly. If you're diligent enough then Craigslist and Kijiji is your best bet.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Did you at least connect the X-Box to the net at least once to download updates or whatever? Each unit has a unique ID as well as the obvious serial number. If it ever goes online again, it shouldn't be too hard to track it down if the authorities get involved. - There was a case in NYC where one guy had his 360 stolen and the one that did it sent him a message on Live taunting him, using that system. He was easily found and arrested.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5143 posts
1174 upvotes
Kanata
Cas77 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2011 4:16 pm
How does that work in these cases? Does Microsoft release the IP of the user to you and you call the RCMP to have them file the paperwork with the user's ISP to release their name and address to them so they can get the swat team to raid the house of a poor 13yr old kid who got a deal on kijiji with the money he earned on his newspaper route?

Or does Microsoft release the info directly to the RCMP so they can file the paperwork to get a name/address to release to the local authorities? So your municipal police can get a judge to issue a search warrant on the 13yr old's parents' house?

:facepalm:

I didn't know MS did that, but why the sarcasm? Even if the kid bought it off Kijiji with his hard earned money from his newspaper route, it's still a stolen property and it will be confiscated and given to the original owner if it ever gets found.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Banned
Feb 25, 2011
7 posts
4 upvotes
ottawa
Did you write down the serial numbers? if not it will be very hard to track them down. Good luck.