Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Computer Monitors

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2013 12:17 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Mar 15, 2013
289 posts
27 upvotes
How is the Tiger Direct AOC 27"? Is it an IPS monitor?

Should we expect better deals on 27" IPS monitors less than $200 for Boxing Day?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2287 posts
716 upvotes
Nova Scotia
bubbabyte wrote: I'm looking at getting a 27" monitor, but could care less about the korean 1440p ones, so please don't tell me all the wonderful benefits of it..lol

So far Tigerdirect has the AOC 27" for $189
Staples has LG 27" for $199
and FS has the HP 27" for $199

which is the better monitor between all 3? Being used for graphic design and gaming.
TY for the summary. Please PM me if you pick one and why since I want one at this price range. Currently debating between FS and Staples.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind IPS still worthless for graphic design and photoshop without proper calibration.

Gaming and photo-editing monitors don't mix lol. One needs fast response, the other is colour accuracy.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
goonx126 wrote: Keep in mind IPS still worthless for graphic design and photoshop without proper calibration.
You can still use it for web design though.
Jul 23, 2011
73 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver
I want to know the answer too. I plan to buy a 27" monitor, but I do not plan to use for design and gaming. So IPS is a bonus.
Will all of them be sold online?
bubbabyte wrote: I'm looking at getting a 27" monitor, but could care less about the korean 1440p ones, so please don't tell me all the wonderful benefits of it..lol

So far Tigerdirect has the AOC 27" for $189
Staples has LG 27" for $199
and FS has the HP 27" for $199

which is the better monitor between all 3? Being used for graphic design and gaming.
Mar 23, 2012
91 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
niucool wrote: I want to know the answer too. I plan to buy a 27" monitor, but I do not plan to use for design and gaming. So IPS is a bonus.
Will all of them be sold online?
+1 ..me too looking to buy one.
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
For many popular monitors, you can find calibrated setting values from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm. Not perfect but works if you don't have the calibration equipment.
goonx126 wrote: Keep in mind IPS still worthless for graphic design and photoshop without proper calibration.

Gaming and photo-editing monitors don't mix lol. One needs fast response, the other is colour accuracy.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
beerbear9 wrote: For many popular monitors, you can find calibrated setting values from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm. Not perfect but works if you don't have the calibration equipment.
There is still variation between production and batches. Moreover, nowadays a lot of manufacturers mix and match the panels depending on price and stock. Some can come from LG and others are Samsung within the same model.

For the "average" user, any IPS panel is better than the TN that they were probably using. No doubt.

But for someone who is serious about colour work and accuracy, getting an IPS doesn't mean you get the right colours. With the explosion of amateur photography, a lot of people don't understand what colour reproduction really is. Getting a IPS will not make their photos look better BUT a spectrophotometer will. (and ideally have both) Even $3000 displays and $10000 displays need to be calibrated or else they're no use for graphic/photography editing.....
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
I'm considering the HP 27BW only because Dell doesn't seem to have any deals :(
Anyone have any other opinions for something in the 200 to 250 range tops?

Is there still a chance Dell will have something else on sale for BF or is the current selection it?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

Very True. Color is vital for me, although I haven't calibrated in a few weeks :) I don't do photography, graphic design and gamma color, blah blah for those not to interested :)
We now live in a Nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.
- Christopher Hedges
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5832 posts
1676 upvotes
cool. looking for a bigger display so may jump on the fs or bb 27 incher.

can you order online for ispu or delivery on bf or should I be there at 6am?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
Aggy wrote: cool. looking for a bigger display so may jump on the fs or bb 27 incher.

can you order online for ispu or delivery on bf or should I be there at 6am?
I'm hoping we can buy online because I want to get the $25 paypal discount and cash back % on this.
Jan 13, 2009
31 posts
Where do you find the HP 27" for $199.99?
Jun 20, 2013
48 posts
24 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote: I'm considering the HP 27BW only because Dell doesn't seem to have any deals :(
Anyone have any other opinions for something in the 200 to 250 range tops?

Is there still a chance Dell will have something else on sale for BF or is the current selection it?
What are your thoughts on dell u2412 at $249. It's $120 off the regular price of $369. I'm leaning towards that model.
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
Emsubs wrote: What are your thoughts on dell u2412 at $249. It's $120 off the regular price of $369. I'm leaning towards that model.
Where? Dell.ca is still $319.
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
Do agree. But if you are serious about colour, then you have to buy a calibrator. :)
goonx126 wrote: There is still variation between production and batches. Moreover, nowadays a lot of manufacturers mix and match the panels depending on price and stock. Some can come from LG and others are Samsung within the same model.

For the "average" user, any IPS panel is better than the TN that they were probably using. No doubt.

But for someone who is serious about colour work and accuracy, getting an IPS doesn't mean you get the right colours. With the explosion of amateur photography, a lot of people don't understand what colour reproduction really is. Getting a IPS will not make their photos look better BUT a spectrophotometer will. (and ideally have both) Even $3000 displays and $10000 displays need to be calibrated or else they're no use for graphic/photography editing.....
Nov 13, 2009
878 posts
242 upvotes
I tried out a FHD screen on a 14'' laptop today, and noticed that Windows 8 handles scaling much much better than Windows 7 (at least with all built-in apps). So if you are using Windows 8, you may not need to worry about small fonts etc (just to update my comments on 27'' 1440p monitors :) )
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
namm wrote: Where do you find the HP 27" for $199.99?
Future Shop I believe.