• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2010 3:07 am
Tags:
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada

Computer repair recommendations in GVA... Comp won't power on.. Burning smell

My comp doesn't turn on. When I took it out of sleep mode I heard a spark type of noise and burning smell. I replaced the psu but still no power. I press the power Button and the case fans flickers/pulses for a split second.

Any ideas On a fix or repair shops that can help me fix this. ?? Don't really feel like replacing mobo since I don't know this is the prob.

Anywhere in Richmond, or Surrey
22 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Could you post the specs of the desktop? How old is the pc? Is this a brand model of a desktop (Dell, HP..)?

Open the side/top cover of the pc and with a good quality light look for burnt or bulging capacitors on the motherboard. If you have a low quality magnifying glass, that can also help you pinpoint the culprit. At this point, I'd say your mobo may have departed.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
2414 posts
171 upvotes
eldiablo wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 8:22 am
Could you post the specs of the desktop? How old is the pc? Is this a brand model of a desktop (Dell, HP..)?

Open the side/top cover of the pc and with a good quality light look for burnt or bulging capacitors on the motherboard. If you have a low quality magnifying glass, that can also help you pinpoint the culprit. At this point, I'd say your mobo may have departed.
that's one possibility, another one would be his psu did blow out and his replacement didn't have enough power to power up the machine.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lol, don't think that's possible. The psu will attempt to carry the load before it fails.

The POST is being inhibited by a short which allows the case fans to power on for about a sec. Can't see the psu being too small. If the poster felt competent enough to replace the psu, then I'd say he would definitely ensure the psu is adequate for the pc.

Sep 26, 2008
629 posts
30 upvotes
Take it to NCIX. They have very good technicians there. And they charge fairly.
Jul 22, 2004
812 posts
109 upvotes
Montreal
probably a blown capacitor on the motherboard.

look for small cylinders that have a bulging top or that look like some liquid or goo leaked out of the bottom.

they can be changed, but most of the time it's not worth the work. just get a new motherboard.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
eldiablo wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 8:22 am

The computer is built by myself. It's been running for over two years. Only problem I was having is. It's Been running pretty hot. When this happened it was in sleep mode. So it wasn't hot at the time. All I did was click the mouse button to take it out of sleep mode. Then I heard the noise and proceded with the smell.

Will try the suggestions when I'm home and report back.

Thx
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
My guess is PSU went boom and took out something else.

Test your replacement PSU on another computer to isolate the issue.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
flyz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 3:20 pm
My guess is PSU went boom and took out something else.

Test your replacement PSU on another computer to isolate the issue.
to test the old psu, just jump pins #13 and # 14 on the 20/24-pin main motherboard connector. With this method, I would add some load to +12 Vdc rail as presence of the correct voltage does not mean that psu is working correctly. It is absolutely imperative to jump the correct pins as choosing the wrong orientation may damage a functional psu.

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuv ... volt2.html

@willy; I am assuming the permanent residency of that jumper is due to a burnt/damaged trace.

Here is an image of something I dug up from an archive.

[OP]
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
ill be taking this into ncix to get a cost on fixing.

no burning capacitors
no burning on mobo
everything is plugged in correctly
removed everything and reseeded
tried starting with basics: cpu/fan, ram, vid card
tired w/o vidcard, same thing

all im getting when i press the power button is a flicker of the fans. theres a blue light on the mobo ("asus") that flashes red. then back to blue after the quick flicker of the fans.

also tried jumping the power sw pins, same result. just the flicker.

thanks for the suggestions. anything else i can try.

i dont really want to replace mobo and still not have it working.

im wondering if i even needed to replace the PSU in the first place. can these be returned? Anyone know?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7664 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Fans and a slight flicker - I replaced the P/S and it resolved the problem.

However, your system running HOT might of caused the P/S to fail too.

If you could find the reason your system running hot, it would might prevent a future failure. (i.e vents/heatsink/fans clogged with dust - easy as we rarely vacuum around our computers!)
[OP]
Oct 31, 2007
564 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
took it to ncix, theyre tech said it the mobo... so i bought another mobo and ill see if this fixes the problem.

he said he also didnt see any burn marks.

if its not the mobo i will return it, 15% restock fee (better than paying the tech $80 hr) and go from there.

i had some important files, could the HD be fried? If it was the HD the computer should still boot, right?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3116 posts
348 upvotes
akyyyy wrote:
Jun 18th, 2010 11:09 pm
took it to ncix, theyre tech said it the mobo... so i bought another mobo and ill see if this fixes the problem.

he said he also didnt see any burn marks.

if its not the mobo i will return it, 15% restock fee (better than paying the tech $80 hr) and go from there.

i had some important files, could the HD be fried? If it was the HD the computer should still boot, right?
I doubt it's the HD problem if the PC won't turn on. Start with as fewest parts as possible, and work your way to the all the parts, each time powering off before adding parts.
e.g.,
1. PSU, mobo
2. + video card
3. + keyboard

Eventually, you'll figure out which part is the culprit.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond Hill
recordman wrote:
Jun 19th, 2010 7:16 am
I doubt it's the HD problem if the PC won't turn on. Start with as fewest parts as possible, and work your way to the all the parts, each time powering off before adding parts.
e.g.,
1. PSU, mobo
2. + video card
3. + keyboard

Eventually, you'll figure out which part is the culprit.
If I can just add one thing to this suggestion; Under these conditions I usually do my preliminary testing on a wooden desk/table (a non-conducting,non-static surface) everything removed from a pc case. If you plug your hdd (just power) and let it spool up, you should feel the centripetal force of the spinning platters.

× < >