Careers

Computer Science or Finance in British Columbia?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2013 4:32 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Which is a better career in BC?

• Total votes: 18. You have voted on this poll.
Computer Science

56%
Finance

44%
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
139 upvotes
Don't bother with finance imo, it's a 4-year education where you'll just end up using basic math skills afterwards when you're on the job. If anything, socializing/networking/presentation is more important than the actual hard content you learn.

CS requires a certain mindset and aptitude though, you'll find out soon enough.
May 17, 2011
306 posts
39 upvotes
GVRD
dealguy2 wrote: Also not quite true in my experience. In consulting if you get a "blended rate" contract where every resource is billed at the same rate, the margins are sky high if you fill it with fresh grads. So consulting firms are usually good places for fresh grads to hit up.
I'm not a technical guy (in finance) but I suspect there's a big difference in the types of projects and how each company operates here. For an ERP system our company isn't going to send a fresh grad to start mucking around with the coding under most circumstances. Sustaining a system and fixing bugs, sure but most of our workforce (and opportunity) is in development.
You need the right experience as well. It's all about what you know.
Yes, programming language is important.

Like I said in Vancouver from what I can see the in demand skills right now is CS provided you have the right skill set and experience. I wouldn't study what's hot right now though because by the time you graduate, things can change dramatically.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Dilton wrote: Which part of Canada has a better IT job market than BC/Alberta?
Ontario. BC/Alberta/Sask/Manitoba is basically the kiss of death if you're in IT and want a job.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
127 upvotes
tylaw83 wrote: This is a very big mis-conception. The only commonly taken finance paths that regularly outpaces the careers of other professionals is investment banking and management consulting

-only about 5% of finance grads will make it in
-60-70% will leave within two years and never return to an investment bank/firm
You are statistically more likely to make the nba than make md at an investment banking firm.

If you have a degree in physics it will not help you get into consulting or ibanking. Sure you can point to some example of some guy who did it once, but that guy likely had connections as in direct relatives in positions to hire him.

And to correct you its 90% get fired in 2 years (not rehired) and of those about another 5% who enjoy torture do an mba and come back to ibanking.

I also suspect its lower than 5% of finance grads making into ibanking. In Ontario you have more ibank hiring than anywhere else in canada. You have a few target schools who make up 90% of the hires or more (Ivey, Queens, Schulich, U of T). In that order. And unless you go the first 2 you need an A-average or better. And thats about 10-15% of those classes. Now you also have to consider the MBA's who want in on those jobs too. and you see its more than just the 5% not making it.
Jun 18, 2012
77 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
I can't speak for IT but for any BCom, it honestly boils down to grades and networking. If you don't do well in either its very unlikely you'll even find a 30k job. If you have good grades and have built a good network, jobs will come to you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
noreason wrote: 'm not a technical guy (in finance) but I suspect there's a big difference in the types of projects and how each company operates here.
Yes well there are big differences I guess but every company puts fresh grads on both new builds and maintenance because it makes no difference really. As for maintenance vs new builds well the money's in maintenance and the fun's in new builds which do you think is more important for a business?

noreason wrote: Yes, programming language is important.
Nope. Being able to learn a new language quickly is important. It's just a matter of picking up a book if you know what you're doing. If not well you're not cut out for it.
noreason wrote: things can change dramatically.
Yes in my mere 13 year career I've worked with 6 different programming languages and 4 different dbms. Heck when I started my firm hadn't even done a web app yet and now that's pretty much what most people want.
Not a political sig
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
Why is everyone looking to do Finance these days ? Is it because they want to be on the side of capitalists and banks who profit off other people's work, i.e: "If you can't beat them, join them" ?
May 17, 2011
306 posts
39 upvotes
GVRD
dealguy2 wrote: Yes well there are big differences I guess but every company puts fresh grads on both new builds and maintenance because it makes no difference really. As for maintenance vs new builds well the money's in maintenance and the fun's in new builds which do you think is more important for a business?

Nope. Being able to learn a new language quickly is important. It's just a matter of picking up a book if you know what you're doing. If not well you're not cut out for it.

Yes in my mere 13 year career I've worked with 6 different programming languages and 4 different dbms. Heck when I started my firm hadn't even done a web app yet and now that's pretty much what most people want.

Hey, like I said I'm an accountant who happens to be high tech finance and totally agree with you about the margins on maintenance. However all the high profile stuff is new builds and where management seems to be focusing their efforts which does seem contradictory. I assumed they stuck junior folks in maintenance because it was easier but you're saying it's not the case - you learn something new everyday =)

I love being in high tech, lots of perks, playing with the latest mobile gadgets and not having to wait years until they refresh your computing hardware =P
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
SnoopDop wrote: Why is everyone looking to do Finance these days ? Is it because they want to be on the side of capitalists and banks who profit off other people's work, i.e: "If you can't beat them, join them" ?
Business is one of the most popular majors. Money is a big motivator, and it's 4 years for one degree you need that isn't very difficult to acquire.

- Engineering: A lot of students can't survive the workload and are terrified of higher-level math- Calculus alone is enough to drive shivers down their spines. But on average, it's the most-earning Bachelor's degree.
- Accounting: Just as popular as Finance, if not even more
- Marketing: Job prospects not as good as Accounting/Finance, but it's a "funner" field for some more creative people.
- HR/Logistics: Not very popular... guess a lot of people don't consider them in the first place?
- Trades: Negative social stigma... Gives the "I wasn't smart enough to do school" image, especially if you're from a foreign background. But then it has one of the best job prospects and pays extremely well. To throw in the stereotype, you normally downright can't do it if you're asian for 'obvious' reasons.
- Doctor or something in the medical field: fierce competition to just to get into Med school, and a lot of schooling
- Law: too much schooling for many people, "piles of paperwork and long hours" stereotype, and getting into law school is extremely difficult
- Computer Science/Software Engineering: Not something a lot of people consider, but job market is pretty good if you have the necessary qualifications, although it's difficult to move up high in the corporate world compared to finance/accounting because you compete with outsourcing.
- Teaching: Competitive to get into, and it's one of those jobs where you can't go for if you're a money-minded person- you must really have a strong passion for it- enough to relinquish the opportunities of climbing high up a corporate ladder. Not many people teach to "make money", unlike Finance and Accounting. Hate it or love it.
- Various technicians or specialties you do by getting a special diploma/certification: social expectation to get an university degree.. especially if you're from a foreign background that sees a College diploma a tier below an university degree. Typically less advancement available, but it depends.
dealguy2 wrote: Also not quite true in my experience. In consulting if you get a "blended rate" contract where every resource is billed at the same rate, the margins are sky high if you fill it with fresh grads. So consulting firms are usually good places for fresh grads to hit up.
Yea I met 3 students I met when I used to study CS who got co-op interviews very quickly and all got hired after their first interviews. They had no prior experience programming, so by the time they grad it might be even easier. Seems like some firms just want some enthusiastic hands to help out in an increasingly digital world. Average wages are higher than the bread-and-butter business ones.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
127 upvotes
SnoopDop wrote: Why is everyone looking to do Finance these days ? Is it because they want to be on the side of capitalists and banks who profit off other people's work, i.e: "If you can't beat them, join them" ?
For the wining is right, but also, no other job will pay you 6 figure out of undergrad. Not medicine, not engineering, not anything I can think of. That is what the whole hype over 4 business schools in Ontario is about. Problem is no more than 3-10% will get these jobs and most of them are very well connected or finish near the top of their class. And if you are competing against people who study day and night who got into these schools in the first place odds are against you. Not even wall street pays as high for the same ibanking jobs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)