Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
1383 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto

Comwave, Internet Home Phone for $9.95 month

My ex girlfriend told me about this deal (she's really good at finding them i.e. cheap lol). Anyways, $9.95/month but you have to signup for 2 years. Activation fee is waived but you have to put a $50 refundable deposit for the box that hooks to your modem. The voice quality seems really good from what i heard... anyways if you have cable internet, this seems like a pretty hot deal to me... i just signed up today. Also they have a free long distance # so people in Canada can call you for free.... and you can take the box with you to use anywhere in the world too apparently! Check it out people!

http://www.comwave.net/CDN/iPhone/index.htm

111 replies
Oct 20, 2005
31 posts
In this low-cost VOIP market, IMHO, vbuzzer is millions years better.

I had been with comwave for 6 mth since the "RFD special" promo launched years ago. Quality was so-so and LD charge was not cheap. Then some "billing mistake" happened. Although it was resolved nicely I still wanted to jump ship 'coz vbuzzer appeared. As you can imagine, comwave guys became really nasty and didn't want to refund my deposit, making up loads of excuses - first "we haven't recv'ed the voip box", then "the box is damaged". When i asked for proof, they said "it would take 3-5 mths to locate it", later they even claim they no longer can find it, perhaps discarded it .... :mad:

I'd never go back to these cheap S and will tell everyone I know to stay away from their lousy business.
Jun 18, 2003
595 posts
36 upvotes
Port Moody
I too have to fight with comwave to get my deposit back --- strongly not recommended !
Jul 5, 2005
132 posts
3 upvotes
I also have a fight with Comwave to get my deposit back. I cancelled the service after months of poor quality service. I sent the comwave unit back via Canada Post and they claim they never received it. They are trying to bill me $250 for the "lost" unit and won't give me back my deposit. I even have a receipt showing from Canada Post showing that I shipped the unit back.
Steer clear of Comwave!!!!

It's too bad this horrible company is likely going to cash in on their "i-phone" name when Apple begins to market in Canada...

If anyone else has had a problem with a Comwave deposit, please post. I am interested in knowing how widespread this problem is.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
3388 posts
1 upvote
8675309 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2007 11:21 pm
I also have a fight with Comwave to get my deposit back. I cancelled the service after months of poor quality service. I sent the comwave unit back via Canada Post and they claim they never received it. They are trying to bill me $250 for the "lost" unit and won't give me back my deposit. I even have a receipt showing from Canada Post showing that I shipped the unit back.
Steer clear of Comwave!!!!

It's too bad this horrible company is likely going to cash in on their "i-phone" name when Apple begins to market in Canada...

If anyone else has had a problem with a Comwave deposit, please post. I am interested in knowing how widespread this problem is.
should've shipped it with xpresspost which would've provided you with a tracking mean.
Oct 20, 2005
31 posts
I've been sending rented equipments back to Rogers / Bell by using plain parcel service from Canada post, never run into a problem, until with comwave.

yeah, I should've sent by Xpresspost, but isn't our society largely based on trust ? There just shouldn't be any place for this kind of company to survive.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
$9.95 for iPhone. It is a great deal. ;)
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
1383 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, hm maybe i should cancel before its too late... anyone have any positive experiences getting their deposit back???
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
"Hello? *Knock* Hello? Thousands of Canadians are switching to comwave iphone! Goodbye phone company, hello iphone!"

Anyone who watches G4 HATES comwave -.-
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
best canadian voip provider are.

les.net
vbuzzer.com
atlasvoice.com
inphonex.com
dolphintel.com
axvoice.com

les.net is hands down the most simple voip provider in canada. you pick a did. you picka termination and bam your set to go in toronto it's 8.88 unlimited did and if you want termination it's 14.65 unlimited.

vbuzzer is simply the cheapest if you are in the gta area. and their service and setup is great.

the rest are all good and are pretty much in the same lane. but i highly reccomend the top 2.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
I have comwave. They suck. Like an idiot I signed for 2 years :( now I am pooched.

I would pick anyone over comwave at this point. I had to file a complaint with the BBB just to get service. Funny how much help I actually got when I complained to the BBB. From ZERO service, to the head tech calling me left and right to get my issues resolved. Any company that offers zero service until they are in trouble is bad in my books.

Stay away from comwave. Take that from a current customer - who would NOT be if he did not sign a contract :(
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1584 posts
99 upvotes
Montr
silvery wrote:
Feb 6th, 2007 9:34 pm
My ex girlfriend told me about this deal (she's really good at finding them i.e. cheap lol). Anyways, $9.95/month but you have to signup for 2 years. Activation fee is waived but you have to put a $50 refundable deposit for the box that hooks to your modem. The voice quality seems really good from what i heard... anyways if you have cable internet, this seems like a pretty hot deal to me... i just signed up today. Also they have a free long distance # so people in Canada can call you for free.... and you can take the box with you to use anywhere in the world too apparently! Check it out people!
They are absolutely the worst. Wasted *hours* in customer support only for them to acknowledge known problems. Hidden fees. Rude agents. Man, if I could pay money to cost them money, I would. Oh yeah, bad phone service.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
infamouskid wrote:
Feb 7th, 2007 3:14 am
best canadian voip provider are.

les.net
vbuzzer.com
atlasvoice.com
inphonex.com
dolphintel.com
axvoice.com

les.net is hands down the most simple voip provider in canada. you pick a did. you picka termination and bam your set to go in toronto it's 8.88 unlimited did and if you want termination it's 14.65 unlimited.

vbuzzer is simply the cheapest if you are in the gta area. and their service and setup is great.

the rest are all good and are pretty much in the same lane. but i highly reccomend the top 2.
"Best" is subjective. Les.net, vbuzzer, and a lot of the others may be cheaper, but do not have all the bells and whistles on a Vonage subscription.

I mean, the ability to receive my voicemails over email is fantastic. I would have paid an extra $10 / month easily if my landline provider had offered this feature. Now I get it free with Vonage.And Simul-ring - thats so useful I can't even describe it. I never even dreamed that would be available with my previous telco.

Also in many areas of the country, Vonage is your only option for a local DID. Most of these other guys only cater to the huge centres.
Feb 4, 2005
434 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
Take a look at NetFone (www.netfone.ca). I've been with them for a year. There were initially a few problems in Ottawa, but once they switched from Sprint to Allstream for their local connection to the PSTN, the service has been great.

12.95$/month + GST gets me unlimited LD to Canada (they say only major urban centres, but I've called rural areas and have never been charged) and all the other usual perks of call display, call waiting, voice mail, etc. They also have the voicemail-to-email option. Pretty unbeatable in my book.
× < >