• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2014 2:55 pm
Tags:
Mar 31, 2009
2 posts
GTA

Comwave VOIP

Hi, I'm considering switching to a VOIP service and ditching the landline. Other than the sketchy 911 issue, it can be quite a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with Comwave? They are doing a huge marketing effort now and the deals seem pretty good although I'm hesitant on going with a VOIP.

Thank you,
dcwailin
45 replies
Feb 28, 2011
396 posts
266 upvotes
dcwailin wrote:
Mar 21st, 2012 11:00 pm
Hi, I'm considering switching to a VOIP service and ditching the landline. Other than the sketchy 911 issue, it can be quite a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with Comwave? They are doing a huge marketing effort now and the deals seem pretty good although I'm hesitant on going with a VOIP.

Thank you,
dcwailin

I would suggest going with something like freephoneline.ca or voip.ms
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1093 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Don't go with Comwave. They are horrible. Do a search here and you will find many complaints
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1738 posts
441 upvotes
Comwave has a history of signing customers up for services they didn't order, providing mediocre service, and making it extremely difficult for customers to cancel when they don't receive the service as advertised. It just goes to show you that with good advertising, even the crappiest product will sell to people who make impulse decisions without doing their research first. I'm glad you came here and asked us ;)

If you have a technical background and you like to tinker, VoIP.ms provides a great deal of call routing features you won't find anywhere else. If you want something you can plug in and have work without much trouble, AcroVoice will provide pre-configured hardware and similarly excellent service.

Good luck and let us know how things go :)
Mar 21, 2012
7 posts
NORTH YORK
Do not go with comwave, by FAR the worst voip company out there (all suck to be honest, but comwave is just horrible)
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1738 posts
441 upvotes
ManUStar wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 1:56 pm
all suck to be honest
Actually, there are in fact a handful of EXCELLENT Canadian VoIP providers, and also a few good American VoIP providers that provide service to Canada...though if your experience is with Comwave, it's not surprising that would be your opinion. If you're still having VoIP problems, I will be happy to help you :)
Sep 5, 2011
8 posts
Toronto
dcwailin wrote:
Mar 21st, 2012 11:00 pm

Thank you,
dcwailin

Hi @dcwailin,

Comwave is the largest VoIP provider in Canada, and while there may be the odd the consumer who has had a bad experience, the other hundreds of thousands of happy customers can't all be wrong. We stand behind the quality of our service and offer the most aggressive pricing in market. You really have nothing to lose because we offer a 90 day no obligation, satisfaction guarantee period during which time the service is FREE. If you have any specific questions, please reach out to our Sales team 1-866-518-0958 or email us letushelp@comwave.net. Alternately, you can visit us online www.comwave.net

Thank you for considering Comwave VoIP.

Sincerely,

The Comwave Team
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1503 posts
526 upvotes
GTA
We have been using Telehop (www.telehop.com) in the GTA for about nine months. Seems to work well and have no problems or concerns. They have plans starting at $8.99 a month...We have also used their long distance products in the past without any issue. I have never done any research to see what other have to say about them but I have no complaints.

If you are into tech you could go with DellVoice / Fongo (discussed elsewhere on RFD) get an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) pay DellVoice / Fongo for the codes ($50 I believe) and basically have free phone to most places in Canada and cheap international long distance. If you want to port your current number they can also do that for a fee ($25 I believe).
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1738 posts
441 upvotes
ComwaveTelcom wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 5:02 pm
Comwave is the largest VoIP provider in Canada,
Could you please elaborate on that statement? Largest in terms of what, number of customer accounts?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2757 posts
289 upvotes
Montreal
PianoGuy wrote:
Mar 25th, 2012 4:06 am
Could you please elaborate on that statement? Largest in terms of what, number of customer accounts?
My bro-in-law had it and didn't have a good experience with them. Lousy quality phone conversations and also issues with cancellations.

I've been with VOIP.ms for oh about 5 months now and only had 2 minor issues with the server I chose dropping for an hour but can easily change to another server. I didn't bother with FPL because of the script fees which is just stupid. You can pick up an ATA and do a few tweaks on your own and you're off. Great call quality and half cent a minute atleast you're not paying monthly besides for your DID.

Think of it at $9/mth that's about 1800 minutes on VOIP.ms excluding the DID fee.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
Here's my personal experience with comwave.

I got the voip bundle. It was cheap 14.95 or something. The sent me the voip box and set up was pretty easy. I had so many problems with people calling and my phone wouldn't even ring. Whenever I called in to tech support. I would get some person probably in India who barely spoke any English and all I could really make out was something about my internet connection not being fast enough. I had Shaw extreme. So whatever. I signed for a 1yr contract so about 1yr and 3 months later I.called to cancel. They said I had to pay my early cancellation fee for 9 months. Because I had not called in to cancel within the final 2 weeks of my 1yr contract, they did me a favor and resigned me up for an additional year so I "could enjoy the service at the lower rate" wtf?

Com wave is without a doubt one.of.the extremely few companies (in fact perhaps the only one). That I would avoid, even if they paid me. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. They are the only company I have ever been compelled to go to the BBB for. I did file a complaint with the BBB and they can't do much anymore, but what that did was actual get me someone that actually helped me get out of my early cancellation fees cut down. Funny that I couldn't get any help from the idiots I dealt with before I went to the BBB.

They also never gave me my deposit for my voip box rental back. But for 50 bucks it was worth it just to never have to deal with that joke of a company ever again.

I honestly do not know how they are in business still. Wait, yes I do. They get people stuck in contracts and make it next to.impossible to cancel service. Genius.
Mar 13, 2008
578 posts
27 upvotes
I've been really happy with free phone line, been using them for a year now, had an upfront fee of about $120 to get my number ported, the hardware, and the login information, plus i topped up $5 for some long distance a couple times, i think it is the way to go. Zero issues with them, and in fact I find the call quality+features better then what I had with both bell and rogers.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1738 posts
441 upvotes
ComwaveTelcom wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2012 5:02 pm
Comwave is the largest VoIP provider in Canada,
Hi ComwaveTelecom, I would still like to have some more information to back up this claim.
Jul 15, 2003
277 posts
43 upvotes
I've only tried Comwave via the PlayBook app.

I ensured that my Internet connection was not being used by anything else and I had a full 20 Mbps pipe available. I also confirmed that the PlayBook had a solid wifi connection.

I made a few test calls to different land lines on different days, and although I was able to hear the other end perfectly fine, they were unable to hear me at all. I tried using the built in mic as well as a headset with the same results. In some instances my voice was too low to be heard, others it broke up constantly.

I've never tried their "home phone" service.
× < >