Locked: concert ticket buying

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2012 11:21 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 21, 2012
24 posts

concert ticket buying

hi all call me paranoid but I thought it'd be best to post here to ask.

I'm buying tickets off someone for a concert and I was just wondering if there has been any real reports of faking tickets? In the same breath I was wondering is there the possibility of someone selling me a hardcopy ticket and then using a printed version of the ticket rendering my ticket useless?

Just wanted someone to shed some light on these concerns. I realize it's the risk involved with buying from scalpers and what not but nonetheless i'd like to know how risky it all is.

Thanks in advance!
Share:
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
tranarama wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm buying tickets off someone for a concert and I was just wondering if there has been any real reports of faking tickets? In the same breath I was wondering is there the possibility of someone selling me a hardcopy ticket and then using a printed version of the ticket rendering my ticket useless?

Just wanted someone to shed some light on these concerns. I realize it's the risk involved

Ticket may be entirely legit...but then all the original buyer has to do is say their tickets were lost or stolen, and yours gets cancelled.

These days...buy with caution.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6226 posts
444 upvotes
Victoria
The secondary ticket market can be risky. As mentioned above, the seller can claim their tickets lost and have them reissued.

For me if I'm buying 2nd hand tickets I usually want a hardcopy pair. With ticketfast tickets, sometime could literally print out 100 copies. It seems way easier then going the lost/stolen route.

Don't forget though. Alot of the time tickets are held back for concerts. For promotions, family, guests, fan club etc.... Usually in the weeks like leading up to the show (especially the last week or day of) good tickets get released. If you've got patience, just check the TM website every day, and maybe a few times a day once you get closer to the concert. I've never been shut out of tickets. Alot of the time they'll release really good side stage tickets. Mainly because they don't know what the view is until they start setting up the stage. Once they ensure the speaker stacks don't block the view, they'll sell more of the side stage tickets.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
hard tickets are the way to go...... those places that email you a printable version with the bar code are very risky. my ex used to work for a radio station and for some events (koolhaus) they actually emailed the winner a printable version to save time. they had a huge problem one event where about 50 of the same ticket was printed off and sold to unsuspecting buyers. of course only one person got in and the rest eventually were turned away but it was a disaster with people threatening lawsuits and making scenes.

i know the same can actually happen with hard tickets, especially with season ticket holders. they can get up to 2 replacement sets over the course of a season (basically 2 games out of the whole season) so i'm sure it's be tried before to scam for some cash.

i would go though a legit ticket place unless you know and trust the person you are dealing with.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
24 posts
well see the tickets are for floors which I doubt will have any more released.

i'm asking the guy for hard copy tickets not a print out or anything but i'm assuming even with hardcopy tickets the seller could just say they were lost and have them reissued? I guess best is to buy with caution either way.

Thanks for addressing all angles though guys, much appreciated!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12749 posts
3649 upvotes
Just a FYI but StubHub and Ticketmaster both offer the ability to buy someone else's tickets with a guarantee if they are invalid. Doesn't help you when buying on Kijiji, but if you're that concerned you could purchase through one of these places.
Jul 27, 2006
566 posts
3 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
tranarama wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 11:29 pm

Just wanted someone to shed some light on these concerns. I realize it's the risk involved with buying from scalpers and what not but nonetheless i'd like to know how risky it all is.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, there have been real reports, documented and resulting in fraud charges. If you have any doubts, don't go through with it.
::Heatware:: 6-0-0
::Location::
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
24 posts
TrevorK wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 2:04 pm
Just a FYI but StubHub and Ticketmaster both offer the ability to buy someone else's tickets with a guarantee if they are invalid. Doesn't help you when buying on Kijiji, but if you're that concerned you could purchase through one of these places.

i've heard about this with ticketmaster. any idea how I could go through with this then? it'd actually be easier since the guy has ticketmaster tickets after all and i could just use the company as a precautionary mediary then. also stubhub does this too? any idea how eactly?
Jan 31, 2012
1 posts
NORTH YORK
Hey there Tranarama!

My name is Emilee and I am writing from StubHub's Executive Customer Care Team and I am happy to explain how our guarantee works.

StubHub offers the FanProtect Guarantee on every order to ensure our buyers receive the correct tickets in time for the event, and that they will be authentic & valid for entry. As sellers take full responsibility for their listings, they agree that if they for any reason sell misrepresented or invalid tickets, that they may be charged for any payment received, as well as the cost of replacement tickets and any compensation issued to a buyer for their negative experience. This proves to be extremely costly for sellers.

Though it is extremely rare to encounter issues at the event, StubHub is always available to assist our buyers. If any StubHub customer experiences any issues at the event, we urge them to call us immediately. Our #1 goal is to get every fan into their event without a hitch, and we'll be happy to make any situation right for you.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, or if you would like assistance in securing tickets, just give us a call at 1.866.STUBHUB and any of our representatives will be happy to assist you. You can also email us at yourfeedbackmatters@stubhub.com and we'll be happy to reach out regarding your concerns.

For more information on StubHub's Fan Protect Guarantee, Check this out - http://www.stubhub.com/guarantee/

Thanks!

Emilee
Executive Customer Care
www.StubHub.com
Jul 5, 2004
21325 posts
1570 upvotes
There's no such thing as a 100% guarantee that the tickets will be legit. Millions of people buy tickets all the time and most have a positive experience. There will always be some who get ripped off though. You can go through Ticketmaster or Stubhub and they do have guarantees which will help protect you. Still though, there's always a chance of getting bad tickets. You will likely get refunded later, but you may or may not miss the event, and you may or may not be out gas money, hotel money, etc.

There's always risk with tickets. With that said, I would feel very comfortable purchasing from Stubhub.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12749 posts
3649 upvotes
tranarama wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 7:50 pm
i've heard about this with ticketmaster. any idea how I could go through with this then? it'd actually be easier since the guy has ticketmaster tickets after all and i could just use the company as a precautionary mediary then. also stubhub does this too? any idea how eactly?

Stubhub does this by charging the seller back if the tickets are deemed fraudulent. I'm not sure how ticketmaster does it, but I'm sure it's the same concept.

The catch is that you (and I assume the seller) will pay fees to use these services. They make their money too (and I'm sure quite a lot of it). Do you think a seller would agree to pay $20 to use this service if he can sell it via Kijiji without that fee?
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
61 upvotes
Just accompany the seller to the venue, surrender the ticket when you're inside and then hand over the cash. If the seller refuses saying no time, I'm unavailable blah blah blah...... then consider this a big red flag.
Jul 5, 2004
21325 posts
1570 upvotes
jackiechan511 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 7:13 pm
Just accompany the seller to the venue, surrender the ticket when you're inside and then hand over the cash. If the seller refuses saying no time, I'm unavailable blah blah blah...... then consider this a big red flag.

This will surely backfire on the buyer and he'll end up with no tickets. I sell a lot of tickets and I would never do what you suggested. What if the buyer doesn't show up, suddenly I'm stuck with tickets I don't want. I have so many people e-mail me telling me they want tickets, we agree on a price, and then I never hear from them again. I would never risk waiting until the last second to sell tickets. I would sell them to someone else if I was presented with this idea and so would any intelligent seller.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
24 posts
thanks emilee for the info!

@shaner thanks for the response! does ticketmaster have it's own listing area or something? I can't seem to find it. If I can't do it any other way i'll most likely just go to stubhub. The only thing that i'll be missing is the event really the show is in Toronto so in essence i'll just be losing out on time and the actual show itself haha
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6684 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
tranarama wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 11:02 pm
thanks emilee for the info!

@shaner thanks for the response! does ticketmaster have it's own listing area or something? I can't seem to find it. If I can't do it any other way i'll most likely just go to stubhub. The only thing that i'll be missing is the event really the show is in Toronto so in essence i'll just be losing out on time and the actual show itself haha

Kijiji is your cheapest way. Stubjub rapes you with fees AND delivery charges (and the seller fees too!). Tripple dipping doesn't work with me.

Ticketmaster has Ticketexchange. Craigslist in the states is the best - do what you can to get hard tickets, but e-tickets just try to get some sort of trust level and assess the situation. Call them on a cell, get their work email or something, etc. if it is an expensive ticket.

I buy between 20 and 40 tickets a year, mostly on craigslist & kijiji and haven't had a single issue.

Stubhub is nice in that if your tickets don't work at bigger events (NFL) they have staff there waiting who will fix or give you new ones.

Also, for the record, do a search for the tickets/seats as well. The last UFC in Toronto had my credit card somehow stolen in my ticketmaster account and $1500 spent on two tickets. It emailed me right away so I knew, and after it got taken care of by Visa/Ticketmaster, I posted on kijiji craigslist twitter about it so that if people were searching for those seats, they'd see and not buy them. I assume someone bought them scalped and were denied at the door anyway, because ticketmaster cancelled them immediately.
× < >