Off Topic Archive

Locked: [conclusion] my sofa is fake leather. here's how to find out.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2008 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
11945 posts
1038 upvotes
Toronto

[conclusion] my sofa is fake leather. here's how to find out.

So i purchased a sofa and they seem kind of shady. I was wondering how can i easily spot if the leather on the sofa is fake or real? thanks

Edit: So the sofa they delivered to us is fake leather. I removed a piece of leather at the bottom of the couch and i could peel the plastic off the fabric completely. the plastic i peeled off was also bery stretchy as i can stretch it like a rubber band.

good thing we only put $100 down and have not paid in full yet.
Share:
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Really hard to say.
A lot of companies only put actual leather on the parts you sit on a vynil match the rest.

Or the leather could be bonded and still be considered leather.

I actually had a very bad experience with EQ3- was going to buy 4 small chairs, said 100$ leather on the salestags and they were not cheao.

But went back to the store w my mother and she asks how easy it is to take the covers off or to clean the chairs.
My mom then took one of the chairs and undid a tab on the bottom (was just a snap- not much) and she was shocked to find it was fabric with the leather-like material.
I ended up canceling a pretty big order with them too.

Palliser is the company that makes eQ3, so not sure how much bettter that are.
I ended up calling palliser head officr and apparently they knew about this already!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
11945 posts
1038 upvotes
Toronto
the problem is that we ordered a sofa set 3 weeks ago and they finally delivered our sofa the other day but refused to deliver it during the day. We suspected that they didn't want to deliver it in broad daylight. Anyhow, we also ordered 6 leather kitchen chairs and they all had no box that day. Just the chair alone like it was a display model.. They also brought us the sofa but they did not bring the ottoman. The sofa looked a bit awkward and the "leather" looked alike throughout. Even on the non seating sufaces, there would be the same type of leather which got us suspicious. We decided to call them up and tell them we demand our real leather sofa we ordered and they told us they made a mistake with our order and that it will be available tomorrow. I only put a $100 payment for all of this. I just hope they bring in the real leather sofas tomorrow.

Here are some tests i've done:

i cut out a small piece of leather from our suzuki leather seating surfaces in our suv. when i burned the piece, it burnt quickly and smelt like burned plastic

but when i took a small leather piece under the sofa where its not visable, i burnt it and it took awhile to burn it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
2874 posts
132 upvotes
Which store is this?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
boonjaca wrote:
Oct 1st, 2008 9:12 am
Which store is this?
+1

sk
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7740 posts
147 upvotes
the bottom of all leather chairs are plastic (bonded leather). Usually the seating surfaces are leather. I would call the furniture store and ask of the couch is bonded leather or top grain leather. Bonded leather is basically low quality leather bonded together. Top grain is actual quality leather.
× < >