Home & Garden

Concrete Holding Tank

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 8:27 pm
Tags:
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts

Concrete Holding Tank

I recently built a cottage and have a 1650 concrete holding tank. My full line is 54". I recently had it emptied and so there is not much in there but it seems to be freezing. Anything I can do to prevent this? Something I can add? It has been really cold here. I likely won't have to empty it for a month or so but was just wanting to keep it liquid.

Thank you
9 replies
Jan 3, 2013
719 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
Is the line freezing or the contents of the tank? If line then it sounds like a pitch problem with the line.
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts
Hi thanks for reply, line is good its contents of tank. Do you think plumbing antifreeze would help?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
Lay some 2" foam over it then pile 3-4 feet of snow on top of it. That will trap the heat in the ground and prevent the cold air from freezing it
Jul 11, 2017
960 posts
1279 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: Lay some 2" foam over it then pile 3-4 feet of snow on top of it. That will trap the heat in the ground and prevent the cold air from freezing it
Do this, and put a 100 watt light bulb in the tank. We used to get a couple of bales of hay and spread them around on top of the tank every fall.
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts
It might be too late for straw there is alot of snow on it. Ultimately I think a big part of problem is it is only used on weekends. Straw may help but I think use is bigger problem.
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts
The dryer vent is about 10 feet from opening of holding tank lid. What if I temporarily hooked up hose to tank?

That would warm it up?
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts
Or what about those Ice melt pellets?

Its a concrete tank so it should be Ok?

Also it appears that far end near house entrance of pipe is open water. So that is good. Going to be 0 c here for a few days so that is good.

Appreciate your comments Thank you everyone!!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
Princeofbelair wrote: I recently had it emptied and so there is not much in there but it seems to be freezing.
It is a good idea not to pump the septic tank out just before winter as you need a good amount of bacteria in the tank to keep it working.
When I have it done in the spring/summer they always leave fluid in the tank to jump start the bacteria working again.

I do not know your location so in warmer parts of the country this may not be necessary.

Keep your tank and the lines to it covered with snow. No shoveling or walking on it to compact the snow.
Apr 7, 2017
11 posts
Thanks to all figured out a solution. Pond heater, bought at Peaveymart. It just floated around in tank and within a day it was all liquid. This past winter never had issue. I think alot depends on what happens at begining of winter with weather.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)