None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke

Condensate Pump decided to die.

The other day I noticed a puddle of water around the base of my furnace. I relized that the condensate pump was working extra hard but not pumping water through the waste hose.

I shut down my HUM (flow through) and emptied the water in the condesate reservoir.

Now that everything has dried up, I put in a new pump but it seems that the water is being pumped through the hose but the reservoir was not draining. :mad:

The old condensate pump was a 65GPH Model VCMA-15UL, new replacement is a 80GPH Model VCMA-20UL. Should not have an issue pumping water out but. I'm at a loss??

Anyone have any ideas? What should I check out?
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1292 posts
180 upvotes
As long as you see that EXCESS water is drained out, you are fine . There is always water left in reservoir in all condensate pumps . It does not throw out all condensation .
Techhead wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 10:30 pm
The other day I noticed a puddle of water around the base of my furnace. I relized that the condensate pump was working extra hard but not pumping water through the waste hose.

I shut down my HUM (flow through) and emptied the water in the condesate reservoir.

Now that everything has dried up, I put in a new pump but it seems that the water is being pumped through the hose but the reservoir was not draining. :mad:

The old condensate pump was a 65GPH Model VCMA-15UL, new replacement is a 80GPH Model VCMA-20UL. Should not have an issue pumping water out but. I'm at a loss??

Anyone have any ideas? What should I check out?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
The issue is that the water does not drain, it pumps but goes no where. The reservoir fills to the point that it starts to spill over.

All I can come up with is that the line outside is frozen and that is what 's causing it to over fill.

Nowhere for the water to go but all over the floor.

I'm going to buy another lenght of 1/2" hose and run it to the floor drain for now.
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1292 posts
180 upvotes
Here is another remedy to prevent freezing your hose . Run your hose along with your Vent taking flue outside . If the vent has a close contact with this hose , it keeps it warm enough to prevent freezing . Secondly do not have very long termination outside . Smaller the better . Last but not least always use transparent hose .
Techhead wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:58 am
The issue is that the water does not drain, it pumps but goes no where. The reservoir fills to the point that it starts to spill over.

All I can come up with is that the line outside is frozen and that is what 's causing it to over fill.

Nowhere for the water to go but all over the floor.

I'm going to buy another lenght of 1/2" hose and run it to the floor drain for now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
But I do not have a High Efficency Furnace so no venting out side. :lol:

I hit Lowes and picked up a lenght of 3/8" inside dia. clear and ran it to my floor drain.
This will do for now and entertain the cats at the same time. They seem to like the sound of flowing water. :cheesygri

Now to wait a few days for the humidity to rise to its proper %.
Jan 19, 2013
101 posts
38 upvotes
First of all the condensate line should never go outside it ll freeze
It should be going to a drain (laundry tub or attached to sewer pipe)
Check make sure your line is kinked or anything
If your floor drain is by the furnace and not in the way of anything its fine just to run the tubing right into there
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
1chinaman wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 1:34 am
First of all the condensate line should never go outside it ll freeze
It should be going to a drain (laundry tub or attached to sewer pipe)
Check make sure your line is kinked or anything
If your floor drain is by the furnace and not in the way of anything its fine just to run the tubing right into there
13 yrs and never an issue with the line run out the wall, untill this week.
The floor drain is 25' from the furnace room and laundry is even further.

I've fixed it for now, when I get a chance I'll see what's going on outside.
× < >