• Sep 14th, 2017 4:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
766 posts
178 upvotes
, ON

Condo extra fee for occupant

My condo management recently issued a letter advising that since I am living in a 1 bedroom plus den with my spouse and 1 young child, I will be charge for extra $75 per month on top of the regular maintenance fee. Their reasoning is because accordance with bylaw any suite where the number of occupants exceeds 2 persons per bedroom will be charged this extra fee.

Is this normal? I mean we are a family of 3 (father, mother and a young son) and cannot afford to buy 2 bedrooms condo. What is my right to fight and refuse this extra fee? I understand if the fee is charge to roommates that non direct family or total strangers (for people who is over renting their suites). It is not like I have to tell one of our family members to move out to avoid the fee.

Anyone with experience? Please help.
43 replies
Feb 12, 2008
144 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Ask for a copy of Declaration of Covenants / Bylaws , and confirmation of its last modified date.

If its in there, you would have automatically accepted terms when you purchased the unit. To confirm you did purchase and not rent / lease correct?

Ps. If you could please share the verbiage regarding this, i'm very curious on this clause.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
Gosh condos are terrible. Having said that, it makes sense. The more people in the unit, the more of the condos features you use.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
766 posts
178 upvotes
, ON
MrCeddy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:42 pm
Ask for a copy of Declaration of Covenants / Bylaws , and confirmation of its last modified date.

If its in there, you would have automatically accepted terms when you purchased the unit. To confirm you did purchase and not rent / lease correct?

Ps. If you could please share the verbiage regarding this, i'm very curious on this clause.
I am the owner and living in the condo with my spouse and a young child.

This is what the letter says:

RE:  IMPORTANT:   Toronto Standard Condominium Corporation (TSCC) No. –  
  Occupancy Standard (Bylaw 13, Article 6) Enforcement Effective October 1, 2017 
the Corporation in Article 6 of Bylaw No. 13 (adopted last year at the 2nd Annual Meeting) 
which deals with the Occupancy Standards.  In this section of the 
Bylaw the Corporation is provided the authority to levy a fee when more occupants reside in a 
unit than the City of Toronto intended to reside in that suite when the building was originally 
built. 
We would like to advise all residents that in accordance with Bylaw No. 13, Article 6 any suite 
where the number of occupants exceeds 2 persons per bedroom (as defined within the 
bylaw) will be charged a fee of $75 per month for each occupant that exceeds the Occupancy 
Standard. This enforcement will take effect on October 1, 2017.
This $75 fee was arrived at based upon a calculation of reasonable costs incurred by the 
Corporation by individuals who contravene the Occupancy Standard. This Occupancy Standard 
is based upon the City of Toronto’s own Occupancy Standard that the building was built to 
accommodate.  
Newborns up to twelve (12) months old are exempt from this levy upon receipt of the child’s 
birth certificate by property management.  If your family is expected to grow in the near future, 
please provide a copy of the birth certificate within two (2) weeks. 
Breakdown of $75 Occupancy Levy:
$20 ‐ hydro (electrical) utility consumption
$20 ‐ water utility consumption
$15 ‐ gas utility consumption 
$15 ‐ usage (wear and tear) to common elements
$5 ‐ administrative fee for efforts by management to collect these funds

Those suites who management recently confirmed exceed the Occupancy Standard of 2 
persons per bedroom will be receiving a suite‐specific chargeback letter from management 
indicating the amount of the total levy they are required to pay going forward based upon their 
specific suite.    
Note: Those Owners who lease out their suites are responsible to ensure their tenants do not 
exceed this Occupancy Standard or they risk being charged back these levy amounts, which 
are collected in the same way as Common Element Fees and therefore subject to lien if left 
unpaid.
Should you have any questions about this or any other matter, please feel free to contact us to 
discuss.

Feb 12, 2008
144 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
I am no expert in this area, merely sat on a board for a few years.

Did Bylaw No. 13, Article 6 exist when you purchased or was it recently written. If it existed but not enforced your out of luck (in my opinion), however if it was recent written in, normally unit owners need to vote on it.

Creative way to increase condo fees! If your condo fees are low perhaps just accept it, hydro, gas and water fees are not cheap.

Hope this helps... and Good luck!
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Move to the new condos with separate meters for utilities..better and more fair for everyone

Seems like majority of owners voted and passed the bylaw which is no small task to accomplish
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1013 posts
768 upvotes
There is no way in hell this can be legal.

But I guess in a province where dogs can't be evicted or charged extra fees anything is possible.

Someone humor me and provide evidence that this is in fact legal.
Feb 21, 2010
408 posts
69 upvotes
Scarborough
This is a nice way to keep sticker maintenance fees low so that it is easy for owners to sell their units to uninformed buyers
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4751 posts
2791 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
It would appear that $55 of the $75 is based on utilities usage assumptions. So, OP just happened to leave out that utilities are included in the maintenance fees.

My guess that there is owners stuffing 4-6 people in these units resulting in much higher utility costs than those units with 1-2 people, which the 1-2 people units are having to subsidize.

That said living in a condo without separately metered utilities is a joke and encourages overuse by those that don't care or overcrowded units.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7552 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
They want to see birth certificates? Sheesh.

And 1 year old+ are no longer exempt. Do they imagine 2-10 year olds using the "common elements"?

$5 to collect when the amount will be rolled into the existing fee (and I'm sure there is a collection fee in that as well).

But I guess this is par for the course of living in a condo with shared expenses. You unnecessarily penalize families with ridiculous fees that cannot be justified for any additional member that would be any age in elementary school.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5108 posts
662 upvotes
This post is the exact reason I will only ever buy freehold properties.

Have young child so now you are being charged an extra $20 for hydro $20 for gas etc etc? What BS
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1149 posts
182 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:10 am
My guess that there is owners stuffing 4-6 people in these units resulting in much higher utility costs than those units with 1-2 people, which the 1-2 people units are having to subsidize.
I would also wonder if this is the reason.

Premise sort of makes sense but the $75 per month seems excessive. OP, how old is the building?
Mar 10, 2009
189 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
alex_d10 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:17 am
I would also wonder if this is the reason.

Premise sort of makes sense but the $75 per month seems excessive. OP, how old is the building?
Based on the letter that the OP posted, it notes that they had their 2nd annual meeting last year so I'm guessing the building is 3 years old now? A 3 year old condo doesn't have separate meters for each unit? That to me is ridiculous. I would never buy a condo unit unless each unit was separately metered for hydro.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
Your time to fight it was when it was voted on. If that happened before you bought your unit, it would have been in the bylaws that you agreed to when you purchased it. Just part of the fun of living in a shared space, I guess...

C
[OP]
Apr 22, 2014
766 posts
178 upvotes
, ON
I bought the unit from drawing plan. So I am the original owner and has been living here since. The condo is about 3 years old and the only utilities are included in the maintenance fee is water. Hydro is out of pocket. I never attended the AGM but even if I did it looks like they got the majority vote. The reason of the fee is due to some units are over rented.

Is this even legal? Can I refuse to pay?
Last edited by anotherbargainhunter on Sep 13th, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.