Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2977 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:51 pm
There was a typo on my post. The only utilities included in maintenance fee is water. Hydro is out of pocket.
Only unit hydro is metered.

Your fan coil is still shared, which means AC and heating. It takes energy to provide central air to unit, that is not metered.

Take out your last AGM package, add up corp's hydro, water and gas expenses then divide by # of units, you get a true picture.

So the $20 hydro charge out of the $75 is mainly for cooling extra body giving off heat in summer i.e. less than 6 months.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2977 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
imperial1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:51 pm
You got me there I didn't do an in-depth breakdown anywhere close to that. You're right I guess I am pretty frugal.. barely used the A/C / heater (got a nice breeze from the balcony / windows in the summer and I'm pretty sure my computer / plasma TV contributed to heat in the winter lol).. dishwasher twice a week and laundry once a week. I used the stove to cook a couple times a week (bought food the other times) and of course daily showers. That said my condo was also on top of lots of things (energy efficient bulbs throughout the entire building, energy efficient windows, even efficient toilets and shower heads lol.
Yup. But it's difficult to make cooling tower/boiler more efficient, and those are still subject to abuses.

Most people don't know, so they turn off central air to save hydro. Actually you only pay a fraction per unit time usage, the corp pays the majority.

Therefore, fairness is concept like smart grid, we can only get closer but not possible to get there.
May 5, 2012
223 posts
45 upvotes
CALGARY
Just an innocent question...

By that logic, would 2 people living in a 2 bedroom unit incur a savings of $150 in condo fees since we do not use our 'allotted' utilities?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1865 upvotes
Edmonton
starbelow wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:13 pm
Just an innocent question...

By that logic, would 2 people living in a 2 bedroom unit incur a savings of $150 in condo fees since we do not use our 'allotted' utilities?
They would, if they cared enough to go to the AGM and could persuade a majority to vote in a change to the condo bylaws... But if they just want to complain about their condo fees in the comfort of their living room, then they save nothing. And if they tried to withhold the $150/month off their fee payments, they would find themselves slapped with a lien on their property, most likely.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2977 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
I think it goes like this:
1BD~up to 2 occupancy
2BD~up to 3 occupancy
3BD~up to 4 occupancy

OP had a infant dependent, and corp wanted to charge $75/mo., because they can.

Am I the only one curious OP's board's reply?
Jan 15, 2017
477 posts
280 upvotes
OP, I don't think that it is normal, but I think you may be in a difficult place. Most ON cities have occupancy rules that provide for 2 people per bedroom. Your condo board may have brought in its rule to recover fees, but the rule violates occupancy guidelines and is most likely unenforceable. The problem though is that by complaining to the board, you may force the board to seek legal advice on its rule and this bring to the board's attention its requirement to adhere to the occupancy guidelines. This may very well force the condo board to issue you a directive to meet the occupancy guidelines. (either someone moves or you all move).

Before you open a pandora's box that you may later regret, on this you really should seek the advice of a condo lawyer.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36370 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:59 pm
OP, I don't think that it is normal, but I think you may be in a difficult place. Most ON cities have occupancy rules that provide for 2 people per bedroom. Your condo board may have brought in its rule to recover fees, but the rule violates occupancy guidelines and is most likely unenforceable. The problem though is that by complaining to the board, you may force the board to seek legal advice on its rule and this bring to the board's attention its requirement to adhere to the occupancy guidelines. This may very well force the condo board to issue you a directive to meet the occupancy guidelines. (either someone moves or you all move).

Before you open a pandora's box that you may later regret, on this you really should seek the advice of a condo lawyer.
I always thought that condo boards are allowed to enact any by-law... PROVIDEd that it doesnt violate human rights.

For example... you can't have a by-law that says no purple and sky blue people allowed.
But you can say "no pets allowed"...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3296 posts
1260 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Adding this to the many, many reasons I f'ing hate condos and all their BS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9319 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 12:32 pm
Adding this to the many, many reasons I f'ing hate condos and all their BS.
Yupp. I guess a place like Vancouver, want to enjoy the great weather and lifestyle, where housing is super expensive, gotta accept the rules of the game there.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3296 posts
1260 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
at1212b wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:08 pm
Yupp. I guess a place like Vancouver, want to enjoy the great weather and lifestyle, where housing is super expensive, gotta accept the rules of the game there.
I don't find Vancouver's weather great at all. I'm from Victoria (which has much better weather than Vancouver with only about 1/2 the rain). Dreary, wet grey depressing place much of the time IMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2977 posts
230 upvotes
GTA
The exception to the rule of the condo game being ponzi scheme is land value, period.

According to Law of People's Thermal Dynamic:
1. People=entropy, civilized people=less entropy, barbaric people=more entropy
2. High population density=entropy/head x # of people=High entropy
3. Speed at which building runs down itself less upkeep~ Total amount of entropy
4. Building ran down quickly~people with much higher entropy moving in
...Back to #1

Conclusion, given enough time, all buildings approaches slums. The only bldgs that doesn't, because the majority of people lived inside it were capable of realizing the land value i.e. conveniences thus prevented from the minorities to run it down, through escalating fees.

It's not about competent directors, management or engineers. It's about the type of people the location attracts and the entropy density each head brings in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9319 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:14 pm
I don't find Vancouver's weather great at all. I'm from Victoria (which has much better weather than Vancouver with only about 1/2 the rain). Dreary, wet grey depressing place much of the time IMO.
I guess maybe temperature wise, outdoor beauty. All the things Vancouver people love about Vancouver and why its so desireable to live there.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4606 posts
847 upvotes
Mississauga
If it was voted on, then it was enforceable. You should refer back or ask for minutes from that AGM to determine whether quorum was even met.

When I first got my big dog, the Property Manager sent me a registered letter telling me I had to get rid of the dog or move by a certain date because it was over 25lbs. I just ignored the letter. In the mean time, she had come outside while I was out with the dog to speak to me about it. I simply said, I have all the documents from the official Turnover Meeting, and all meetings since that time that specifically stated two pets max per unit, with no weight restrictions. This particular "bylaw" she was trying to enforce was never voted on, and does not legally exist, etc. (Certain types of bylaws have to be voted on, while others can just be created by the Condo Board.). I asked her to email me all the documentation, of which she never did.

In any case, one of the board members lived across the hallway from me, and owned a dog (same name coincidentally), and I told him, the property manager tried to tell me I can't keep my dog because such and such. I told him no such thing exists, and he agreed. Property manager was removed from her duties (aka fired!). :)

Point being, if this was just talked about at the AGM, but not voted on. You may have some recourse.
Sep 24, 2012
638 posts
224 upvotes
CALGARY
happened to one of my friend who live in Donmills-Sheppard condos. when he asked about it, he was told the bylaw was agreed and signed and he has no choice but pay for it. he has a young child with him as well.
he mentioned that a lot of 1 BR condos have occupancy of over 4, dont know how true it is though