• Dec 27th, 2006 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 13, 2006
298 posts
33 upvotes

Condo Owner: Legal to do renovation?

I am a new condo owner trying to do reno on den. Can I get my own contractor to do it without any legal issues?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
465 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
So what does it state in your condo agreement regarding renovations?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5756 posts
187 upvotes
GTA
seven wrote:
Dec 25th, 2006 9:11 pm
I am a new condo owner trying to do reno on den. Can I get my own contractor to do it without any legal issues?
What type of reno's are you thinking of anyways?????

sk
[OP]
Aug 13, 2006
298 posts
33 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:
Dec 25th, 2006 10:07 pm
What type of reno's are you thinking of anyways?????

sk
Renovating the den into small bedroom. I imagine there will be some drilling involved here and there. But nothing major like breaking through the walls and so on.
Dec 10, 2006
40 posts
If you are a condo owner (as opposed to rent), you can generally, and this is just a general statement, do whatever you want to the inside of your unit, with the exception of changing anything structural, like removing a load wall (not a good idea anyway).

Having said that, you should review the condo agreement.....but for all intents, you OWN the inside and "commonly own" the outside.

Furthurmore, such renovations are at your expense (so DYI or your own contractor), although the condominium corporation may reserve the right to approve the work, usually to make sure you haven't changed anything structural.
Banned
Oct 3, 2006
1710 posts
1 upvote
It depends on the condo there are some that will not even let you change the floor.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2313 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, read the agreement. For my reno's i had to provide a detailed plan of what changes were to be made. Electrical and plumbing. They requested pictures for their records of the plumbing in the event of a leak. Also you may not be able to renovate morning till night, I was limited to 8am-5pm. Not on weekends etc. But by the sounds of what you're doing it shouldn't be much of a deal.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18183 posts
131 upvotes
GTA
I'm not sure if it's legal or not, but we were able to do just that (change the small den into a bedroom by adding a wall). Added a door and light switch, that was it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5142 posts
388 upvotes
Markham
Check with management office. We changed from carpet to wood flooring w/o any issues

Just have to specify time of renovations. I know some buildings require board approval for renovations
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Apr 4, 2006
416 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
seven wrote:
Dec 25th, 2006 9:11 pm
I think it's best to look into this with your management company first. I vaguely remember a regulation passed not long ago regarding the number of people that can occupy a unit. Something about X amount of square feet per person etc. So before renovating check with the company or your lawyer.