• Apr 6th, 2018 9:52 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1726 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

Condo upgrades

First time condo buyer. I bought a pre-construction condo and the time for electrical upgrades are being offered. It is for capped ceiling outlets, kitchen led lighting and conduits for TV mounts. The cost for materials are obviously cheap so I'm basically paying for the labor.

So I'm wondering if you decide to do this later, how hard is it? As I never had a condo before, like how hard is it to fish wire around the ceilings and walls? In a house, you can easily go to the attic but in a condo how is it done?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8427 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Firestorm ZERO wrote: First time condo buyer. I bought a pre-construction condo and the time for electrical upgrades are being offered. It is for capped ceiling outlets, kitchen led lighting and conduits for TV mounts. The cost for materials are obviously cheap so I'm basically paying for the labor.

So I'm wondering if you decide to do this later, how hard is it? As I never had a condo before, like how hard is it to fish wire around the ceilings and walls? In a house, you can easily go to the attic but in a condo how is it done?
If you do it later ... you need Building Management approval and also apply for a permit after approval received.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Feb 22, 2009
157 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
also, if you do it later, you should wait until the condo closes. so you wont have them and other inspectors in/out of your place and they may see the new work.

as per getting permission. meh, i guess its what your doing. if the guy is licenced and insured i would personally just do it.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Firestorm ZERO wrote: First time condo buyer. I bought a pre-construction condo and the time for electrical upgrades are being offered. It is for capped ceiling outlets, kitchen led lighting and conduits for TV mounts. The cost for materials are obviously cheap so I'm basically paying for the labor.

Dunno about your condo, but my last condo has solid concrete ceiling and walls between units.
So it would be impossible to fish any wire thru them.

The interior walls are drywall and metal stud. I imagine it won't be easy to get wires thru them either.
I actually did the TV conduit and ran some wire vertically myself. That was easy because it is just drywall and wire going straight up and down.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1740 upvotes
capped ceiling outlets - Does that spot come with ceiling hanging light?
kitchen led lighting - Up to you. If condo come with under cabinet lighting, then this upgrade is pointless.
conduits for TV mounts - Yes, if you want the nice clean look without electrical wire running down, when you hang your TV up.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1726 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
The ceiling outlets is just the outlets. No hanging light. I agree the lighting is useless so I'm definitely not going for that.

So I guess it might be hard to do this later. I guess I'll go for the outlets and mount.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)