• Aug 6th, 2018 10:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA

Condo window leak - who pays?

So we had a severe thunderstorm in the last hour, and I found that my sliding windows on the west side leaked and water flowing down wall. I just caught it in time and managed to soak it up with towels. The window sills were full of water and it "overflowed" on to my inside window sill.

Help please.
1. Is there a way I can fix this myself and how?
2. If I had to get someone to fix it, will the condo board pay for it, or me?
3. I was searching at Homestars.com but it looks like the companies are for installation or big jobs. Will a handyman be able to fix the window? Not sure how they will fix it if the problem is on the outside as I'm on the 17th floor.

Have to get it fixed soon because if I'm at work and this happens, and there's water damage downstairs - well that's another huge expense :-(
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Pictures needed

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: So we had a severe thunderstorm in the last hour, and I found that my sliding windows on the west side leaked and water flowing down wall. I just caught it in time and managed to soak it up with towels. The window sills were full of water and it "overflowed" on to my inside window sill.

Help please.
3. I was searching at Homestars.com but it looks like the companies are for installation or big jobs. Will a handyman be able to fix the window? Not sure how they will fix it if the problem is on the outside as I'm on the 17th floor.

Have to get it fixed soon because if I'm at work and this happens, and there's water damage downstairs - well that's another huge expense :-(
Windows would be common elements in a high rise, condo will pay, just inform the PM, they'll take care of it

It's not hard to replace window , may take a while to custom size the window though
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
You should have a superintendent on duty even though it's a holiday. Call them, your gatehouse or your security/front desk and have them come up and look. Take pictures. Put down tons of towels in case (to stop more water damage). Write down everything (when you called, who came up, what they said, what they told you) and the time/date, etc. As long as it's not your fault (leaving a window open or something stupid), the condo is on the hook for this and will take care of it.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11231 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
Catnippy wrote: So we had a severe thunderstorm in the last hour, and I found that my sliding windows on the west side leaked and water flowing down wall. I just caught it in time and managed to soak it up with towels. The window sills were full of water and it "overflowed" on to my inside window sill.

Help please.

Condo pays for it. Let the property manager know. Don't waste your time, money or energy on this OP, just let the property manager know.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Jan 7, 2006
763 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
The condo corp paid for my window leak when I lived in a condo (Toronto). Depending on if your building has a "standard unit definition", it will cover interior damage upto a certain point, usually walls and ceilings are included but not flooring (but the concrete pad under would be).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
I mopped it all up when it stopped raining, so pictures won't help anymore. Will wait and see how hard it rains tonight. Have added towels and newspaper all around the window. All my windows were closed tight because I have the aircon on. Thanks for your input, all ...
Nov 5, 2009
383 posts
331 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: I mopped it all up when it stopped raining, so pictures won't help anymore. Will wait and see how hard it rains tonight. Have added towels and newspaper all around the window. All my windows were closed tight because I have the aircon on. Thanks for your input, all ...
How do you buy into a condo without understanding what your responsible for as an owner? Leaky windows would never be an owner responsibility.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
You do, in your maintenance fees
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)