• Aug 23rd, 2017 9:04 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA

Conflicting about renaming adopted pets

I did some research but wanted to know fellow RFD'ers opinions.

Is there a certain age for pets that would be too old? Does it vary between cats and dogs?

There's a silly conflict in my circle about this topic.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
No, I don't think there's a "too old" time for pets to be renamed. And for cats in particular, it doesn't matter what you name them, as they'll just ignore you anyway...

C
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
All of our dogs had names and earned very different nicknames over time and answered to both. If two people contested and called them, one by birth name and one by nickname, they preferred to come to their nickname because it tended to be said with fondness or fun, I guess. Birth name was for getting in trouble!

IMO you can have as many names for your dog as you like and they will figure it out.

I don't think cats are as generous about accepting a nickname.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We kept the name the rescue group gave our rescue dog. He was about 3 years old at the time we adopted him. I found out his original name was "Loki" and the rescue was calling him "Logan". We kept Logan. I notice the names sound very similar which I imagine was deliberate on the rescue's part.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6571 upvotes
Vaughan
Chickinvic wrote: We kept the name the rescue group gave our rescue dog. He was about 3 years old at the time we adopted him. I found out his original name was "Loki" and the rescue was calling him "Logan". We kept Logan. I notice the names sound very similar which I imagine was deliberate on the rescue's part.
Damn it, I wish I had thought of Logan. Going to rename my guy to that now, regardless of the fact that he's six years old now.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
my dog has like 58 different nicknames and he responds to most of them...he hardly ever hears his formal name
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Banned
Jun 19, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I did some research but wanted to know fellow RFD'ers opinions.

Is there a certain age for pets that would be too old? Does it vary between cats and dogs?

There's a silly conflict in my circle about this topic.
I believe so yes. What I tell potential adopters of my fosters is that if the animal is responding to its name, I would keep it. If theres no response, feel free to rename
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
We adopted a rabbit named Blizzard, who was going to be put down, because she is too aggressive.
The vet who was to administer the euthanasia was stuck in a snowstorm, so they decided to give her another chance.
She is Blizzy to us, she hates brooms because she was probably beaten when she was younger.
She's a sweet little bunny if you know how to approach her.

I certainly hope there is a heaven and hell, after all the child and animal abuse out there.
Aug 8, 2017
12 posts
11 upvotes
I've fostered dozens upon dozens of dogs and have had adopters change the dog's name without any problems. I actually had a "foster fail" who was a 5 year old Shih Tzu whose name I changed from Ewok to Bailey and he picked it up right away. If you use the new name consistently, dogs are quick to pick up the name.

I've had cats in the past and they never listened to the name they were given as kittens, so I think they just don't care if they even have a name.. 9.5 times out of ten, they won't come to anything they're called.
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I adopted an adult dog a month and a half ago. Her name was already Flo (Florence). I thought it would be even more stressful for her to be renamed on top of moving house and families so I kept her name. I think names should be kept. Except for cats. I don't think they care. But adult dogs, ya, keep the name. If the dog is a 4 month old puppy, I don't think it will harm the dog to change it. But an adult, no.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Like above we adopted an adult dog and kept her name, same reason, didn't want to cause more upheaval. We call her nicknames too and she responds to both.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
When we adopted our chi (adoption was at around 4y.o.), we knew his history. Was moved a few times, so that explained his attachment anxiety.

We gave him a new name.

On a whim, about half year later, we decided to see if he'd still remembered his old name.

His face (not mine but the shock was there).

Yup, knew instantly he did not like to recall his past.

So, IMO, giving them a new name is better, especially if their history was not a good one.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)