• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2013 10:48 am
Tags:
None
Apr 4, 2013
2 posts
London

Confused by XE Trade rates

Hello, Im Canadian but have just moved from Australia to the UK and want to move my money from my Australian to British bank account. I wanted to avoid big bank fees and so went through the lengthy process of signing up with XE Trade.

I spent WEEKS setting up an account with them and finally got it set up today and they quoted me 3268GBP for sending 5000AUD. this works out at around 4% commission (£157). I was surprised by this as the reason I had been spending so long getting set up with XE was because I read on here and a few other places that their rates are really good, like 1.5%.

I was offered-:
XE Trade conversions:
1GBR = 1.5299 AUD
1AUD = 0.6536 GBR

Actual rates:
1GBR = 1.46 AUD
1AUD = 0.69 GBR

In the meantime ive been withdrawing money using my Australian debit card at ATMs to support myself. £300 a go and paying around $450 which means around $16 in transaction fees (around £11). so I could theoretically just withdraw my $5000 in 11 withdrawals and pay £121 instead of £157.

I just dont get it, i feel like Im missing something. Is the reason that its cheaper is because most people arent in the position to just withdraw the money abroad because
a) they arent there and
b) the amounts would be too large?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TennisTom wrote: In the meantime ive been withdrawing money using my Australian debit card at ATMs to support myself. £300 a go and paying around $450 which means around $16 in transaction fees (around £11). so I could theoretically just withdraw my $5000 in 11 withdrawals and pay £121 instead of £157.
Which Australian debit card are you using? I spent 6 months in Australia and had an account with NAB. With that account they charged no additional fees on international withdrawals and the rate was pretty close to mid market.

If this is the case, it may indeed be cheaper than using XE Trade to move the money. If it is, I would speak to the Australia bank and ask them to increase your daily withdrawal limit so you can withdraw it in less than 11 transactions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)