Computers & Electronics

Connect PC speakers to Toshiba 32" LCD TV 720p?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2010 1:27 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 24, 2004
221 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Connect PC speakers to Toshiba 32" LCD TV 720p?

Hi all!

I have a 32" Toshiba LCD TV 720p and it doesn't have a headphone jack. I'd really like to connect my PC speakers to it.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
1861 posts
306 upvotes
Springfield
What kind of audio output does it have then? If RCA, you could get one of these. if digital only, you'll probably need to get a receiver... What's the tv model?
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18192 posts
360 upvotes
Richmond
Moved from "Off Topic" to "Computers & Electronics".
[OP]
Mar 24, 2004
221 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
hopsoid wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 2:48 pm
What kind of audio output does it have then? If RCA, you could get one of these. if digital only, you'll probably need to get a receiver... What's the tv model?
Hi Hopsoid,

Thanks for your reply.
The model number is 32C100U and I bought it from BestBuy:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/tos ... 05d515en02

The link in your previous post looks like it may work. What are those called and where can I get it? Thanks in advance :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Becareful. I tried this once and it did not work. (ie. it is okay to try with old exiting PC powered speakers. Do not buy a pair of PC speakers for this purpose.)
[OP]
Mar 24, 2004
221 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2010 10:41 pm
Becareful. I tried this once and it did not work. (ie. it is okay to try with old exiting PC powered speakers. Do not buy a pair of PC speakers for this purpose.)
Thanks for the tip, busybuyer888. Yup, I have an existing set of computer speakers :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Buy the cable from The Source. Bring your HDTV manual and speakers in with you and get them to get you the right cables.

If they don't work, you can return it. (Or they can tell you right there if it will work.) This is worth the extra money to get the right cables and try.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4336 posts
116 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2010 11:27 pm
Buy the cable from The Source. Bring your HDTV manual and speakers in with you and get them to get you the right cables.

If they don't work, you can return it. (Or they can tell you right there if it will work.) This is worth the extra money to get the right cables and try.
I wouldn't waste my money on the source for those items.

Getting an AV -> 3.5mm jack is always something good to have on hand even if it doesnt work.

But i think you can get this at the dollar store nowadays.

but the monoprice thing is the thing you need. most likely.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2351 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
azntrance wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 1:22 am
Hi all!

I have a 32" Toshiba LCD TV 720p and it doesn't have a headphone jack. I'd really like to connect my PC speakers to it.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
just outta curiosity, why would you want to do this?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5017 posts
429 upvotes
Grimsby
He probably doesn't have a receiver or at least not one near the computer. Many people(particularly students) use their TV to double as a monitor. When I was in school I did something similar using a 3.5mm->RCA adapter. Keep in mind that your TV will probably not control volume if you set it to "External Speakers", you will need to use the volume controls on the speakers.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2004
221 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for your input, everyone!

Yup, I'm using this TV as a computer monitor in my room.
I want to connect it to computer speakers so that I can play xbox 360 music games with it instead of the TV speakers.
No, I don't have a receiver.

I think I'll go with the Monoprice one. It comes out to only $5 after shipping :D
Aug 10, 2008
891 posts
55 upvotes
At the rear of the TV, look for the ''fixed audio output''. This jack is 3.5mm (same as the one for headphones). Connect a pair of amplified computer speakers to that port and you will have amplified sound. This is a good alternative (about $20) if you don't have a receiver.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2004
221 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
manteiv wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 8:14 am
At the rear of the TV, look for the ''fixed audio output''. This jack is 3.5mm (same as the one for headphones). Connect a pair of amplified computer speakers to that port and you will have amplified sound. This is a good alternative (about $20) if you don't have a receiver.
oh cool, i never knew that. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!
× < >