• Nov 14th, 2017 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 29, 2006
392 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Connecting Time in LAX

I am looking at a flight flying from Kona Hawaii to Toronto.
There is 1 hour and 27 minutes for connection in LAX. Is that enough time? Do I have to switch terminals in LAX? If I don't make the connection due to delays, what can I expect from Air Canada in terms of any assistance? Thanks so much.

The flight details are below:

13:31 KOA Kona - Arrival at Los Angeles at 21:08 LAX Los Angeles AC5906 Operated by United Airlines
Layover in Los Angeles 1 hour 27 minutes
22:35 LAX Los Angeles - Arrival at Toronto at 06:06 +1 YYZ Toronto AC788 Operated by Air Canada
12 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28250 posts
4217 upvotes
Ottawa
You arrive at Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 1 to get Air Canada
https://www.airport-la.com/info/terminal_map.html
If you miss your connections because of flight delays or airline problems, then Air Canada should be able to help get you on the next available flight but, if you miss because you stopped to have a drink or something to eat, well, self inflicted wound :) ( I mention this because a while ago someone tried to claim Air Canada should compensate them even though they were the reason they were late to the gate)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
[OP]
Mar 29, 2006
392 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 8:49 am
You arrive at Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 1 to get Air Canada
https://www.airport-la.com/info/terminal_map.html
If you miss your connections because of flight delays or airline problems, then Air Canada should be able to help get you on the next available flight but, if you miss because you stopped to have a drink or something to eat, well, self inflicted wound :) ( I mention this because a while ago someone tried to claim Air Canada should compensate them even though they were the reason they were late to the gate)
Hi Pete_Coach, Thanks so much for your detailed reply. You mentioned that "You arrive at Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 1 to get Air Canada". When I click on Terminal 1, I see that Southwest is the only airline in Terminal 1. I see Air Canada when I click on Terminal 2. Does that mean I walk from Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 2 to get Air Canada? Do you think 1 hour and 27 minutes is good for this connection? Thanks again for your help.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28250 posts
4217 upvotes
Ottawa
totravel wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 8:57 am
Hi Pete_Coach, Thanks so much for your detailed reply. You mentioned that "You arrive at Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 1 to get Air Canada". When I click on Terminal 1, I see that Southwest is the only airline in Terminal 1. I see Air Canada when I click on Terminal 2. Does that mean I walk from Terminal 7 and then walk to Terminal 2 to get Air Canada? Do you think 1 hour and 27 minutes is good for this connection? Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, yes, Terminal 2 is the Air Canada terminal.
When you get your boarding passes, be it online the night before or at the airport when boarding at Hawaii, you will be told what terminal and gate to get the Air Canada flight.
90 minutes is normally enough time to get from one gate to the other unless you have mobility issues and even then, you can request assistance.
We are doing the same kind of transfer after New Years. Maui to LAX and on to Vancouver so if you are going soon, please let us know how it went. :)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4656 posts
1579 upvotes
totravel wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 7:40 am
I am looking at a flight flying from Kona Hawaii to Toronto.
There is 1 hour and 27 minutes for connection in LAX. Is that enough time? Do I have to switch terminals in LAX? If I don't make the connection due to delays, what can I expect from Air Canada in terms of any assistance? Thanks so much.

The flight details are below:

13:31 KOA Kona - Arrival at Los Angeles at 21:08 LAX Los Angeles AC5906 Operated by United Airlines
Layover in Los Angeles 1 hour 27 minutes
22:35 LAX Los Angeles - Arrival at Toronto at 06:06 +1 YYZ Toronto AC788 Operated by Air Canada
Assuming your trip is all booked on one ticket, airlines are not going to set you up with connections that are not workable because that just leads to headaches for everybody. That they did suggests, during normal operations, that your connection time is ample.
May 7, 2015
495 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Because Kona - LAX is a domestic flight there will be no customs between flights and your bags should get checked all the way through. You may need to go through security again (can't remember with LAX switching terminals) but that's the only obstacle I see. It shouldn't be too bad at 9pm though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6829 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
We recently flew from YYZ to LAX on AC, then connect with UA to LAS. We did walk from T6 (where AC landed) to T7 (where UA operated), and it did not require you to go outside then back in for security checks. That is, no security checks again.

I don't know about T7 to T2.
May 7, 2017
291 posts
120 upvotes
I had a layover in 10 mins. Flight was delayed coming in. There is underground tunnels that connect. Just run! If you don’t want to miss it. Our luggage did not make it on time.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2006
392 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Arrgh wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 12:14 pm
We recently flew from YYZ to LAX on AC, then connect with UA to LAS. We did walk from T6 (where AC landed) to T7 (where UA operated), and it did not require you to go outside then back in for security checks. That is, no security checks again.

I don't know about T7 to T2.
I had a closer look of my confirmation email. It does appear that my flight is basically a reverse of the flight above. So we probably will just do the reverse of "We did walk from T6 (where AC landed) to T7 (where UA operated).", ie T7 to T6 for us. Thanks

13:31
Kona
Kona Intl. (KOA),
Hawaii
flight
21:08
Los Angeles
Los Angeles Intl. (LAX),
Terminal 7

Flight AC5906: This is a codeshare flight with United Airlines. For information on their rules and policies (for example regarding baggage allowance and fees), please visit http://www.united.com .

22:35
Los Angeles
Los Angeles Intl. (LAX),
Terminal 6
flight
06:06 + 1 day
Toronto
Pearson Intl. (YYZ),
Terminal 1

AC788
4hr31
Economy K
Operated by:Air Canada | 767-300ER
Air Canada Bistro
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1010 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
I had a transfer in LAX going from AC's terminal to the Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal and it required me to pass through security again.

In any case, I think you'll be fine with 1.5 hours, as long as you don't have a delay greater than 15 minutes.
Oct 8, 2008
716 posts
66 upvotes
AC moved from T2 to T6 at LAX earlier this year. All connections to United and any other airline operating from TBIT and T4 to T8 can be accomplished without leaving the secure area.
[OP]
Mar 29, 2006
392 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
D582 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:55 am
AC moved from T2 to T6 at LAX earlier this year. All connections to United and any other airline operating from TBIT and T4 to T8 can be accomplished without leaving the secure area.
Thank you D582, that's good to know.
Feb 25, 2007
905 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa
As others have written, you *should* make it.
But when there's any uncertainty, it's best if you're prepared with a firm opinion on what's the next best alternative to feed to ground staff who are mopping up the pieces in case you need it.

Most likely, if your flt to LAX arrives late and you rush to AC and just miss it, AC will put you on the morning flight LAX-YYZ and leave you to fend for yourself overnight. (UA should pay for your hotel room if it's a mechanical issue but not e.g. if it's weather -- but you'll have to go back to UA for them to give you a hotel voucher)
I'm not sure of your exact date, but choosing a random date in Jan, you could push to get put instead on United's 00:46 to OHare and then do a short connection ORD-Toronto in the morning, which will get you in earlier if that's a priority.
Or if your flight is clearly delayed leaving KOA, you should be pushy right then and there and get yourself put on the 40-min-later UA flight from KOA to SFO instead of to LAX, where you would still have time hopefully to catch the redeye from SFO to Toronto.

Airlines will "take care of you" in instances like this (assuming it's on one ticket, which it sounds like yours is), but you need to be informed and politely demanding what is the best solution since they are not at all very good at finding it for you. All of this is just-in-case; it's a connection you *should* be able to make if there are no troubles.