Travel

Connection flight through Tokyo, need visa to Japan?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2010 7:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5010 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata

Connection flight through Tokyo, need visa to Japan?

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but RFD is the forum I used most.

So I just booked flights for my families (three adults, one infant) from Beijing,China to Toronto, with 1 stop (3 hours gap) at Tokyo, Japan. They all have Chinese passport but hold visitor visa to Canada (or as a PR in Canada) but not visa to Japan. The flight is through ANA airline, but operated by Air China and Air Canada, respectively.

Before I book the flight, during inquiries, both the people from the Expedia and the travel agency my wife asked in China said that we don't need a visa to Japan. However, after booking the flight, when I called ANA in Canada, the one I spoke with said it was recommended to get a visa to Japan, and it happened before that people have trouble without visa to Japan, and we need to go through a immigration office during the connection in Japan, they suggest us to ask the Japanese embassy in China for policies.

Just wondering any one know any thing about this and any one have recent experience with connection flight in a third country? I thought they will just need to go from one gate to another gate in Japan and does not need a visa, but the phone conversion with ANA concerns me.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,
rivet
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9397 posts
356 upvotes
Mississauga
From Wikitravel and various other sites that I googled.
Note that no visa is required for a same-day transit between international flights at the same airport, so long as you do not leave the secured area.
Aug 13, 2008
37 posts
Toronto, ON
rivet wrote:
Jul 26th, 2010 3:36 pm
Hello,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but RFD is the forum I used most.

So I just booked flights for my families (three adults, one infant) from Beijing,China to Toronto, with 1 stop (3 hours gap) at Tokyo, Japan. They all have Chinese passport but hold visitor visa to Canada (or as a PR in Canada) but not visa to Japan. The flight is through ANA airline, but operated by Air China and Air Canada, respectively.

Before I book the flight, during inquiries, both the people from the Expedia and the travel agency my wife asked in China said that we don't need a visa to Japan. However, after booking the flight, when I called ANA in Canada, the one I spoke with said it was recommended to get a visa to Japan, and it happened before that people have trouble without visa to Japan, and we need to go through a immigration office during the connection in Japan, they suggest us to ask the Japanese embassy in China for policies.

Just wondering any one know any thing about this and any one have recent experience with connection flight in a third country? I thought they will just need to go from one gate to another gate in Japan and does not need a visa, but the phone conversion with ANA concerns me.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,
rivet
Both the ANA canada agent and the above poster are correct. You do not need a visa for the transit in Tokyo, but if anything goes wrong, say mechanical issue of the NRT-YYZ aircraft, AC is supposed to book your family a hotel but they can't go since they don't have a visa to enter Japan.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7709 posts
243 upvotes
You don't need one.

10 years ago I went to apply for a Japan Visa. The clerk told me the visa cost one fifty. I was like wtf until she gave me an invoice for $1.50.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Feb 18, 2004
947 posts
240 upvotes
Victoria
I was in Tokyo last month for a 8 hour stopover coming back from Bali and nobody ask for a Visa at all.
Left the airport for about 6 hours and I am sure you do not need a Visa for Japan.
I also hold a PR card.

Going to Beijing later this year and will need a Visa to leave the airport for a 16 day cruise.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5010 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks all for the reply. Looks like no visa is needed. But they won't try to left the airport cause they have only three hours in Tokyo airport.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 26th, 2010 4:04 pm
Note that no visa is required for a same-day transit between international flights at the same airport, so long as you do not leave the secured area.
Depending on your nationality some countries do require a "Transit Visa". A quick google search will provide you with the necessary information.
Dec 9, 2005
847 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
sitting at Pearson now, flight to Narita is delayed and it looks like I will miss my connection so I will spending the night in Japan. I don't need a visa but I guess if I did they wouldn't let me leave the airport.
Mar 11, 2007
230 posts
34 upvotes
If you are leaving the airport (secured areas), you will require a visa. Last month I had a stop over at Narita. I had to leave the international Airport to take a bus over to the domestic airport and buy another ticket. Leaving international airport I had to go through customs and was told my Canadian passport was my visa allowing me to exit.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16874 posts
126 upvotes
YVR
flip114 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2010 12:56 pm
If you are leaving the airport (secured areas), you will require a visa. Last month I had a stop over at Narita. I had to leave the international Airport to take a bus over to the domestic airport and buy another ticket. Leaving international airport I had to go through customs and was told my Canadian passport was my visa allowing me to exit.
I don't know why you're surprised. All Canadian passport holders don't need a visa to go to Japan provided that they're there for under 90 days.
Dec 9, 2005
847 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I am in Narita right now. I missed my connecting flight so Air Canada had a hotel arranged when I arrived. As I was going through immigration I noticed signs that addressed being stuck while in transit. If you don't have a visa and you need one, then you go to counter A, and you can get a pass until your connecting flight.
× < >