Off Topic

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch explains her stance on "Canadian values"

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 9:36 am
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13413 posts
1255 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 3:35 pm
Why? Because her position on this screening is favored by 2/3 of Canadians including 87% of Conservative supporters, 57% of Liberals and 59% of Dippers?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... shows.html

It's amusing that the lefties on here are so outraged at this yet almost 60% of 'like-minded' lefties are for it? What gives? :lol:
Aren't you a conservative? Why are you for this? Her screening criteria means your party's days are numbered as only left-leaning immigrants are going to be let into the country.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4916 posts
192 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 3:35 pm
Why? Because her position on this screening is favored by 2/3 of Canadians including 87% of Conservative supporters, 57% of Liberals and 59% of Dippers?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... shows.html

It's amusing that the lefties on here are so outraged at this yet almost 60% of 'like-minded' lefties are for it? What gives? :lol:
The progressive movement should LOVE the Canadian values test. Policing people's thoughts and beliefs to make sure they're progressive enough to enter the country? Why would they ever be against it?

Piro21 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 3:50 pm
Aren't you a conservative? Why are you for this? Her screening criteria means your party's days are numbered as only left-leaning immigrants are going to be let into the country.
Not at all. These policies should actually attract more centre leaning Canadians which is where the party needs to be going to compete with the Liberals. Appealing to social conservatives isn't going to win the next election.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4190 posts
1096 upvotes
As it should be. Municipal support for flaunting immigration laws should not be tolerated and city councils who support such ideas should all be, at the very least, voted out of office.

Sorry (no I'm not), lefties, if that hurts your precious feelings. I'm a supporter of legal immigration.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5069 posts
633 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Most Conservative party members could not pass her test.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13413 posts
1255 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 7:55 pm
Kellie Leitch Dogwhistles To Racists When Pledging to Deny Transit Funding to ‘Sanctuary Cities’

The Conservative leadership candidate attacks immigration and transit in one tweet.

http://torontoist.com/2017/03/kellie-le ... ry-cities/

I'm a liberal and I agree with this. What use is there in having a law if people are allowed to break it openly with no consequences? Government officials, even.

Any legal immigrant to this country should be 100% behind this move. Having a bunch of uneducated criminals coming here with no intention of respecting this country or its laws make us all look bad.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2308 posts
227 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:35 am
I'm a liberal and I agree with this. What use is there in having a law if people are allowed to break it openly with no consequences? Government officials, even.

Any legal immigrant to this country should be 100% behind this move. Having a bunch of uneducated criminals coming here with no intention of respecting this country or its laws make us all look bad.
Enforcing the law is now considered "racist".
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
21968 posts
4448 upvotes
GTHA
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:53 am
Enforcing the law is now considered "racist".
Enforcing which laws?

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act clearly lays out what someone needs to do to gain lawful entry into Canada.

The hundreds of people crossing at unofficial border points are breaking that law by showing up without the proper documentation to enter the country and by doing an end-run around an official border entry point.

However, an immediate claim of asylum protects them from being arrested and charged, both by the terms of the IRPA and the UN’s 1951 Refugee Convention.

For these reasons, the claim that what’s happening at the border is illegal contains “a little baloney”: the statement is mostly accurate but more information — context, in this particular case — is required.

from http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/201 ... 09416.html
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
12750 posts
801 upvotes
Toronto
Why does everyone think the worst when they hear this type of message?
As a Canadian, I take it as Canadians are proud to call Canada their home and proud to tell others, "I Am Canadian."

Only a few minutes into the video, but as long as she is not singling out a religion or banning another country, I really don't have an issue with someone saying they like our Canadian values.

I am a Canadian, I have Canadian values. I support them, I want other Canadians to support them, like me.

What's the issue?
"Deal of the Day" addict
Nov 24, 2013
195 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I immigrated from a place that had:
1. No freedom of speech
2. No justice unless you were well connected or rich
3. Religious minorities treated as second class citizens
4. Blatantly venal politicians that enriched themselves instead of the nation.

I came to Canada to escape all of the above. The opposite of the above list are my Canadian values
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6041 posts
147 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 11:35 am
Why does everyone think the worst when they hear this type of message?
As a Canadian, I take it as Canadians are proud to call Canada their home and proud to tell others, "I Am Canadian."

Only a few minutes into the video, but as long as she is not singling out a religion or banning another country, I really don't have an issue with someone saying they like our Canadian values.

I am a Canadian, I have Canadian values. I support them, I want other Canadians to support them, like me.

What's the issue?
Because her "canadian values" are simply code words. She is really anti-immigration and anti-muslim.

Its dog whistle politics.

If you didnt follow the last election, those words on the video would mean nothing. You would think its innocent. I dont blame you, she is getting better at it.

The one behind her are the alt right supporters. The same one's that put trump in the Whitehouse. Very dangerous group of people.

She apologized and made an academy award winning performance for her role on the barbaric tip line. She then figured out that was a wrong political move and now she is back doing the same thing, just different tactic.

This is what I love about majority of Canadians. They are not easily fooled. We might be passive but we arent stupid. We can see through the crap.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9382 posts
662 upvotes
lpin14 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:08 pm
I immigrated from a place that had:
1. No freedom of speech
2. No justice unless you were well connected or rich
3. Religious minorities treated as second class citizens
4. Blatantly venal politicians that enriched themselves instead of the nation.

I came to Canada to escape all of the above. The opposite of the above list are my Canadian values
This is nothing more than anti-immigrant and islamophbia ! how dare you have those values!

/s
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4190 posts
1096 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:40 pm
Because her "canadian values" are simply code words. She is really anti-immigration and anti-muslim.

Its dog whistle politics.

If you didnt follow the last election, those words on the video would mean nothing. You would think its innocent. I dont blame you, she is getting better at it.

The one behind her are the alt right supporters. The same one's that put trump in the Whitehouse. Very dangerous group of people.

She apologized and made an academy award winning performance for her role on the barbaric tip line. She then figured out that was a wrong political move and now she is back doing the same thing, just different tactic.

This is what I love about majority of Canadians. They are not easily fooled. We might be passive but we arent stupid. We can see through the crap.
Wrong as usual. The latest poll indicates that 75% of Canadians support the idea, up from 2/3 from last fall. So, durant, you're by far part of the minority on this issue.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... rants-poll
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4286 posts
299 upvotes
I don't know why people even bother with this elitist white physician's views. I'd be surprised if her odds of winning were more than zero.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel