Off Topic

Conservatives accuse Trudeau of political interference in Canada's justice system

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2018 10:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5053 posts
1033 upvotes
Mississauga
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:10 am
Although I do appreciate this view of events, before we take it as 100% proof lets remember this is an article written from the account of one eye witness and nothing has been verified yet(as per the article).

As I understand it, the final jury selection was not done at random as this article would seem to indicate.

Article

Right there is the peremptory challenges.

I'm not arguing anything was done wrong, the rules of law were followed and the jury came to a conclusion. I have full confidence in our judicial system and 100% accept the results. That doesn't mean things can't be done to make our system even better. I would love a world where someone can't make the claim that they only reason he was acquitted was because it was a jury of 12 white people. Would have been great if the jury was full of all great nationalities we have in Canada.

Really? We're in the middle of civil discussion and this is the crap you decide to reply with? How about instead of throwing mud you actually join the discussion.
Murphy is Boushie's lawyer, what do you think a loser is going to say?

Furthermore, he said it was a pool of 45, in which the five indigenous-looking ones were challenged. After that round, they still needed to whittle it down to 12 jurors, in which case it is very likely to have been, as the eye witness account (you choose not to believe), done at random.

The eye witness was in the jury pool, not some random, nor Boushie's lawyer, so more plausible to be objective by comparison. That much is irrefutable. Finally, Murphy's account and the eye withness' account are not necessarily at odds with each other.

The difference is the eye witness is providing insight on conversations he heard as a part of the very same jury pool. The lawyer is merely providing a statement on one person's appearance, which has no relevance on whether that person has or hasn't shown a bias already.
Last edited by kenchau on Feb 14th, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16953 posts
1153 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kenchau wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:28 am
Murphy is Boushie's lawyer, what do you think a loser is going to say?

Furthermore, he said it was a pool of 45, in which the five indigenous-looking ones were challenged. After that round, they still needed to whittle it down to 12 jurors, in which case it is very likely to have been, as the eye witness account (you choose not to believe), done at random.

The eye witness was in the jury pool, not some random, nor Boushie's lawyer, so more plausible to be objective by comparison. That much is irrefutable.
Lawyers are usually very factual. Sure they can embellish but they aren't going to straight up lie on record. So if all the Indigenous looking people were challenged out (without any reason), what does that leave you with? The exact issue we are discussing.
May 22, 2016
993 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
Clearly our justice system doesn't work according to the Liberals so they should fix it with robots. Then we don't have to hear how everyone is racist.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5053 posts
1033 upvotes
Mississauga
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:32 am
Lawyers are usually very factual. Sure they can embellish but they aren't going to straight up lie on record. So if all the Indigenous looking people were challenged out (without any reason), what does that leave you with? The exact issue we are discussing.
"beautiful man, long hair, twinkle in his eye" yeah, that could be factual. Means nothing though, doesn't mean he's without bias. Also doesn't conflict with anything from the other eyewitness, who was a member of the jury pool, and heard the conversations.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2879 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, native reserves are normally close-knit. Why would any decent lawyer accept a juror from one if another member if the reserve was involved in the trial? It would be like having the accused or victim's brother/friend/etc. as a juror. If they want unbiased native representation they should use someone qho is not attached to the same reserve.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
28850 posts
7038 upvotes
GTHA
qewcool wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:16 am
+100

"But but but please give us more millions $$ and apologies and reparations and fluffy propaganda "reporting" on CBC every night to convince the rest of the canadian population to swallow the bill."
This account comes from one individual who spoke with the Sun, and has not yet been corroborated by other witnesses.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16953 posts
1153 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
Well, native reserves are normally close-knit. Why would any decent lawyer accept a juror from one if another member if the reserve was involved in the trial? It would be like having the accused or victim's brother/friend/etc. as a juror. If they want unbiased native representation they should use someone qho is not attached to the same reserve.
That's why I proposed what I did. I think it would be much easier to find unbiased representation in all cases if the jury has no attachments to the location or groups.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1744 posts
730 upvotes
Hamilton
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:19 am
Meh, I love being a 6'4 white male. Life has been pretty amazing so far. Call me a racist I guess.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28749 posts
4548 upvotes
Ottawa
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:32 am
"Lawyers are usually very factual"....when it is to the benefit of their client and omissions of the facts are deliberate.
Everybody is horrified by the jury findings and yet, why has this "factual lawyer" not been able to present a better case for his client (the crown)?
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28749 posts
4548 upvotes
Ottawa
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
In the link I previously posted, it was stated that there were 700 people in the pool.....I suspect from all over not just the local area and only 200 chose to show up and the 12 were selected from them.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Mar 20, 2009
743 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:27 am
Meh, I love being a 6'4 white male. Life has been pretty amazing so far.
Finding good deals for clothes must be tough though?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1744 posts
730 upvotes
Hamilton
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:55 am
Finding good deals for clothes must be tough though?
I buy jeans like once every 3-4 years and recycle my shirts from RW&CO whenever they have a sale. If that's the worst part of my life I'd say it's a good life.
Mar 20, 2009
743 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:11 pm
I buy jeans like once every 3-4 years and recycle my shirts from RW&CO whenever they have a sale. If that's the worst part of my life I'd say it's a good life.
What about bumping your head in low ceiling basements?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1744 posts
730 upvotes
Hamilton
shikotee wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:15 pm
What about bumping your head in low ceiling basements?
Anyone that has low ceiling basements are usually poor and are quickly kicked out of my life.