Off Topic

Conservatives accuse Trudeau of political interference in Canada's justice system

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 9:33 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
3872 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:18 pm
Anyone that has low ceiling basements are usually poor and are quickly kicked out of my life.
How dare you...you calling height supremecist!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1599 posts
218 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:18 pm
Anyone that has low ceiling basements are usually poor and are quickly kicked out of my life.
#9footceilingprivilege
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
A few more factual things amongst, several other posts,

Just the Facts: Colten Boushie

Boushie had been drinking at the time of incident. The driver of the SUV testified the group had been drinking during the day
At least one of them was four times over the legal limit

Boushie and his friends had a loaded weapon in the vehicle. They had earlier used a rifle to try and steal a vehicle from another farm

Cross-Whitstone, one of Boushie’s friends, told the jury he’d been driving drunk and had a .22-calibre rifle in the back of the SUV

They drove the SUV onto three farms. At the first farm, no one left the vehicle. At the second farm, they attempted to steal a truck and they used a rifle to try to break the window

Two people who were in an SUV with Boushie admitted lying in police statements. One also said he lied under oath during Stanley’s preliminary hearing
They admitted they lied to investigators about stealing and changed their stories right before taking the witness stand

Boushie's friends denied stealing Stanley’s ATV, but admitted to jumping on the ATV and trying to start it the night of the incident. Meechance, one of Boushie’s friends, said he tried to start the ATV

Boushie's friend, Jackson, assaulted Stanley's wife and mother. "I punched her," said Jackson of the aftermath of the shooting.

Gerald Stanley said he lost track of where his son was at that the time of the incident, and thought Boushie’s SUV had run over his wife. "I thought the [SUV] had run over my wife," he said.

There has been an increase in theft and crime in Rural Saskatchewan and rural residents have been experiencing long wait times for emergency services

Some farmers in the area said they need guns while harvesting because it's a precaution due to the increase in crime in the area
Saskatchewan RCMP say vast response areas and limited resources are responsible for long wait times being experienced by some rural residents

Many aboriginal people who showed up for jury duty were asked to be excused. Many others simply didn’t show up.

http://www.truenorthinitiative.com/facts_boushie

Also, someone else just posted this....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV8vx71VwAAvT4Q?format=jpg
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1176 posts
552 upvotes
Moon
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:40 pm
A few more factual things amongst, several other posts,

Just the Facts: Colten Boushie

Boushie had been drinking at the time of incident. The driver of the SUV testified the group had been drinking during the day
At least one of them was four times over the legal limit

Boushie and his friends had a loaded weapon in the vehicle. They had earlier used a rifle to try and steal a vehicle from another farm

Cross-Whitstone, one of Boushie’s friends, told the jury he’d been driving drunk and had a .22-calibre rifle in the back of the SUV

They drove the SUV onto three farms. At the first farm, no one left the vehicle. At the second farm, they attempted to steal a truck and they used a rifle to try to break the window

Two people who were in an SUV with Boushie admitted lying in police statements. One also said he lied under oath during Stanley’s preliminary hearing
They admitted they lied to investigators about stealing and changed their stories right before taking the witness stand

Boushie's friends denied stealing Stanley’s ATV, but admitted to jumping on the ATV and trying to start it the night of the incident. Meechance, one of Boushie’s friends, said he tried to start the ATV

Boushie's friend, Jackson, assaulted Stanley's wife and mother. "I punched her," said Jackson of the aftermath of the shooting.

Gerald Stanley said he lost track of where his son was at that the time of the incident, and thought Boushie’s SUV had run over his wife. "I thought the [SUV] had run over my wife," he said.

There has been an increase in theft and crime in Rural Saskatchewan and rural residents have been experiencing long wait times for emergency services

Some farmers in the area said they need guns while harvesting because it's a precaution due to the increase in crime in the area
Saskatchewan RCMP say vast response areas and limited resources are responsible for long wait times being experienced by some rural residents

Many aboriginal people who showed up for jury duty were asked to be excused. Many others simply didn’t show up.

http://www.truenorthinitiative.com/facts_boushie

Also, someone else just posted this....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV8vx71VwAAvT4Q?format=jpg
Prime minister will make sure these facts disappear.

Indigenous thugs good! Why? Because they Indigenous. Law abiding white farmers bad! Why? Because they are white.
Mar 5, 2012
211 posts
45 upvotes
Midland
Applesmack wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:08 pm
https://np.reddit.com/r/canada/comments ... l/du37b4q/

A serious truth bomb was detonated showing that the Boushie family has deep gang ties.
This is useful information to understanding more about the issue.
Neon8000 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:56 pm
The drama teacher is destroying the country. He brought up all the tensions, black vs white, indian vs white muslim vs white. Is it so bad of Canada after he took the office? I wonder when the civil war will start under him.
This is not. Rather silly.
Mar 5, 2012
211 posts
45 upvotes
Midland
I do think the general principle of the PM office staying out of commenting on judicial results is a good one, irrespective of which party is currently in office.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2987 posts
265 upvotes
tcharged wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:59 am
When you're as foolish as he is, it just makes you feel sad for Ontario and those on the far left. So out of touch of reality.
My point was there is no discussion with the left .
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3479 posts
365 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:05 pm
Trudeau Promises To Reform How Juries Are Selected, Pays Tribute To Colten Boushie's Family
Liberals have been pressed to look at peremptory challenges.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/02/14 ... _23361900/
Unbelieveable. Even *if* you believe that Boushie was deliberately killed and that the jury selection process was unclear, based on what we know he and his family were definately not good people deserving of a tribute.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1705 posts
555 upvotes
One lawyer proposes that by removing peremptory challenges, diversity would be increased. I don't like this idea. It means you could have a proposed juror look the defence straight in the eyes and say "you are guilty, no matter the evidence" and that juror would have to be allowed. Hilarity would ensue at the number of successful appeals over bias.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1176 posts
552 upvotes
Moon
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 3:01 pm
One lawyer proposes that by removing peremptory challenges, diversity would be increased. I don't like this idea. It means you could have a proposed juror look the defence straight in the eyes and say "you are guilty, no matter the evidence" and that juror would have to be allowed. Hilarity would ensue at the number of successful appeals over bias.
Peremptory challenges allowed you to remove a juror for no reason at all. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a biased juror should not be removed.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17653 posts
1381 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:34 am
"Lawyers are usually very factual"....when it is to the benefit of their client and omissions of the facts are deliberate.
Everybody is horrified by the jury findings and yet, why has this "factual lawyer" not been able to present a better case for his client (the crown)?
Not everyone is horrified with the findings, and either the lawyer for the crown wasn't very good, or the evidence wasn't good enough.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
31628 posts
8035 upvotes
GTHA
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 5:25 pm
This guy said it right "the only people who can argue they have a truly “informed” opinion would be the people who attended or participated in the trial".

Speaking of the Trudeau and Wilson-Raybould comments "“I’m not going to comment on the process that led to this point today, but I am going to say we have come to this point as a country far too many times. I know Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians alike know that we have to do better.”
It was an interesting choice of words…
”We have to do better.”
The inference was clear.
The Canadian Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould took it a step further;
Jody Wilson-Raybould (Twitter)
”As a country we can and must do better, I am committed to working everyday to ensure justice for all Canadians.”
If you take her comments in context, Wilson-Raybould is committed to seeking justice for all Canadians….well, all Canadians with the obvious exception of Gerald Stanley."
Interesting article from someone in the know.
http://thepoliceinsider.com/boushie-cas ... eadership/
Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould says she’s determined to rid Canada’s criminal justice system of racism.

“There is no place in this country for racism, discrimination, bias of any sort in the criminal justice system or otherwise, and I will be vigilant in terms of insuring that that doesn’t exist,” she said in an interview with CTV Question Period host Evan Solomon.

from https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/no-plac ... -1.3807427
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 10:21 pm
Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould says she’s determined to rid Canada’s criminal justice system of racism.

“There is no place in this country for racism, discrimination, bias of any sort in the criminal justice system or otherwise, and I will be vigilant in terms of insuring that that doesn’t exist,” she said in an interview with CTV Question Period host Evan Solomon.

from https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/no-plac ... -1.3807427
So Minister....what is racist about pulling 12 names out of a hat with 45 names in it, some of which were natives and some white?
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous