• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 5:01 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2014
467 posts
369 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Consider adding a “YMMV” or “Targeted” subforum to Hot Deals

There is a steady stream of threads in Hot Deals of offers people receive on their Koodo/PC Optimum/etc accounts. While these have their place, I propose the main Hot Deals forum be saved for Deals that anyone can reasonably access (i.e. not reliant on having been offered it by the merchant).
Last edited by lefroset on Mar 12th, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10880 posts
17876 upvotes
Scarborough
While there are no current plans to add any deal forums or sub-forums, I am looking into adding additional filters to the hot deals forum. These can include things like YMMV and Targeted deals. You'd then be able to setup your personalized view and include/exclude any of the filters available. I'm hoping we can get this done this year but we're still in the planning phase.

In the meanwhile you can hide any thread you have no interest in as long as you're logged into your account. ucp.php?i=-rfd-hidetopics-ucp-ucp_main_ ... hidetopics
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7574 posts
3767 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I think adding the tag YMMV to the menu options for posting new threads would be sufficient.

I'm actually more annoyed with threads labelled targeted as these deals are aimed to such a narrow audience that it's practically pointless to even mention it. A lot of times it's done via email to specific retail customers, so even announcing it is useless to the RFD community. Offers on the PC Optimum app is a good example as the majority of the offers are unique to the the customer's shopping behaviour.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4278 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 7:49 pm
I'm actually more annoyed with threads labelled targeted as these deals are aimed to such a narrow audience that it's practically pointless to even mention it. A lot of times it's done via email to specific retail customers, so even announcing it is useless to the RFD community. Offers on the PC Optimum app is a good example as the majority of the offers are unique to the the customer's shopping behaviour.
I agree. In many cases, the thread can be summarized as "read your emails". Well, okay, isn't that something people do? It would be like saying (for example) "Rogers is calling selected former customers offering free internet for a year, so if someone calls you then answer the phone".
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10880 posts
17876 upvotes
Scarborough
Manatus wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 9:30 pm
I agree. In many cases, the thread can be summarized as "read your emails". Well, okay, isn't that something people do? It would be like saying (for example) "Rogers is calling selected former customers offering free internet for a year, so if someone calls you then answer the phone".
I agree that YMMV deals are more useful than targeted deals however there does seem to be enough interest in targeted deals. Sure you may not be able to get them (most of the time) but seeing that a business is doing that can prompt you to check your spam folders or secondary email accounts. They also let people know that a business offers these types of deals and it might be worth their while to sign up to accounts/newsletters to give themselves a chance of getting a deal in the future.

Once the new system and filters are available, it should be easy for members to exclude them if they truly have no interest in seeing them.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].