• Apr 22nd, 2015 9:40 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1400 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
iExcel wrote: I contacted the sales person that I dealt with during the negotiation process and was informed that while they acknowledge the typo on the ad, they're unwilling to compensate me for the misinformation because the price that I got was so good that they claimed it was sold at cost.
Translation of what sales guy said: "If we discount what you paid to compensate for the less expensive wheels, it comes out of my commission."
May 7, 2005
333 posts
56 upvotes
Oakville
robertz wrote: Translation of what sales guy said: "If we discount what you paid to compensate for the less expensive wheels, it comes out of my commission."
more or less...
Aug 28, 2005
400 posts
178 upvotes
iExcel, just was curious to know how your experience has been with the ex-rental S80 you bought from Volvo of Oakville earlier this year? I am close to purchasing an ex-rental S60 from them, and was wondering if you would vouch for them in terms of the quality of the car they sold you (especially since it is an ex-rental)?
Jan 6, 2008
295 posts
48 upvotes
I know this is a zombie thread, but wanted to include this for information.
Lots of RFD'ers posted about "buyer beware", pseudo legal logic etc...most of it is inaccurate. This is the standard code of practice on OMVIC's site. If the dealer breaches any of the conditions it could be grounds for disciplinary action. In most of Canada, car sales through a registered dealership is much more "caveat venditor" as opposed to a "caveat emptor". There are many regulations protecting the consumer, including
- Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002;
- Consumer Protection Act, 2002;
- Highway Traffic Act;
- Sale of Goods Act; etc.

In your case, unless if the dealer specifically stated in the sales document that there are 17" wheels on the car (best case for them is if they got you to sign off on that specifically), you probably have grounds to assert they misrepresented the car to you. It doesn't matter if you saw the car or not (not everyone pays attention to wheel size/measure them/read the tire markings). Bottom line is, if you purchased your car from a registered dealership, you have a plethora of rights, and the vehicle sales authority whichever province you are in are there to help arbitrate if there are any issues.
May 7, 2005
333 posts
56 upvotes
Oakville
rcxAsh wrote: iExcel, just was curious to know how your experience has been with the ex-rental S80 you bought from Volvo of Oakville earlier this year? I am close to purchasing an ex-rental S60 from them, and was wondering if you would vouch for them in terms of the quality of the car they sold you (especially since it is an ex-rental)?
It's been so far so good. We don't put a lot of miles on it (2000 kms since the purchase). Quality wise, I'm happy with the car.

Now, if you want to buy an ex-rental, here is my thought.

Major concerns would be:

1. quality?
2. how much wear and tear?
3. any accident?

The above are believed to be the major ones and here is what I think.

1. I wouldn't worry about the quality too much as it is covered by a 6year/160, 000km warranty with the balance of the factory bumper-bumper warranty included. Say, if the engine breaks down or the transmission is shot during the warranty period, you're fully covered. I would suggest you read up the warranty terms carefully for your own protection.

2. Regarding wear and tear, it is really hard to quantify. I factor it into the *savings* you would receive compared to purchasing a new vehicle. These ex-rental Volvos are less than 2 years, the major wear and tear components could be: tires, brakes, suspension. I usually I take into consideration that 50% of these components are worn and then factor in the would-be costs if they had to be replaced later.

3. They will provide you a car-proof report to show an accident free history of the ex-rental. So, it's really up to you whether you trust the report or not.

To me, I think these ex-rentals are of good value. For a $50k car if bought new, you'd pay ~$30k if driven for less than 2 years with around 25000 kms. The $20k savings should cover the wear and tear components easily. Plus, Volvo offers great interest rates for these CPOs. I'd say as good as new cars. I got the offer of 0.9% for 12 months, 1.9% for 24 and 2.9% for 36. Not sure if they still offer these rates.

Just my 2 cents. HTH.