• Dec 6th, 2019 1:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 4, 2004
479 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga

Considering BenQ Zowie XL2411P

My son mostly plays Rainbow Six Siege online and has been asking for this monitor for a couple years now, but we only recently upgraded the GPU to something that might be able to take advantage of the 144 Hz refresh (Gigabyte GTX1080 Turbo OC).

My questions:

1. Will there be a noticeable difference if the computer he is using is only an i5-6400, 8GB RAM, SSD drive, currently connected to a 60Hz 1080p monitor? While he does hit 144 FPS and higher at times, I remember seeing it hover in the low 100's at times, and sometimes even lower depending on the detail level. Does he need a consistent 144 FPS or higher to take advantage of a 144Hz monitor, especially since this monitor doesn't support G-sync or free sync?

2. If he can benefit from this type of monitor with his current setup, is it actually a good choice, or is there something else we should consider at the same price point?

3. If he can't benefit from it, is upgrading the motherboard and CPU the only solution, and what CPU would get him to that level? I believe he said that he's not maxed out on memory, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2874 posts
377 upvotes
Pickering
I use a MSI 27" curved 144Hz G-sync I got last year, did not upgrade computer and did notice a difference but nothing major, my system is similar with a slower video card (AMD 480), he should see a difference but don't expect miracles. You can always upgrade the computer next year, but do consider getting one with Freesync if your staying with that video card.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2004
479 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
Zero1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2019 8:36 am
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG248QG/

Straight from Asus, its Gsync compatible. I suggest the Gsync monitor as well to take advantage of what features Nvidia offers.
Thanks. I did some more research and as I understand NVidia recently started supporting AMD's FreeSync and has been certifying certain (but not all) monitors, so this is actually a Freesync monitor. This is great because it (sort of) future proofs it in case we switch to AMD down the road.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2004
479 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
On paper, the Asus definitely looks much better compared to the Benq for about $40 more after tax to get 165 Hz refresh, G-Sync compatibility, and ELMB:

"ASUS’ ELMB-Sync is the first MBR technology that can simultaneously run VRR and strobe the backlight."
Dec 3, 2019
2 posts
The monitor is brand new, it offers a lot more value at this price than BENQ's xl2411 does around $200. The VRR MBR too sounds really interesting, gonna get my friends with the monitor to give that a try