• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2022 11:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 28, 2006
12987 posts
6520 upvotes
Talk about being thrown under the bus...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... -avengers/

The head of Square Enix has claimed that Crystal Dynamics was a bad fit for Marvel's Avengers, given its lack of games as a service model experience.

In an overly negative statement published in the company's annual report, Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said that the company needed to learn from the game's "disappointing" performance.

Notably, he highlighted the importance of matching development studios with "game designs" that best suit their skillsets and interests.

Avengers developer Crystal Dynamics is best known as the studio behind the single-player Tomb Raider series of games, and its next project is a collaboration with Xbox Game Studios on Perfect Dark.

Marvel's Avengers was an ambitious title for us in that we took on the GaaS (Games as a Service) model," Matsuda said.

"We overcame a variety of unexpected difficulties in the final phase of the game's development, including needing to transition to work-from-home due to the pandemic. We were able to surmount these challenges and release the game, but it has unfortunately not proven as successful as we would have liked."

Nonetheless, taking on the GaaS model highlighted issues that we are likely to face in future game development efforts such as the need to select game designs that mesh with the unique attributes and tastes of our studios and development teams.

"While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward."

Marvel's Avengers' performance suffered partly due to technical problems present at launch. In addition to these issues, a lack of post-launch content, including delays to planned expansions and next-gen versions of the game, contributed to a dwindling player count."
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
Yuck.

With Square's recent offerings in Outriders and Avengers, I'd say it's more a problem with Square's direction and design choices, rather than the studios that created the games.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Talk about being thrown under the bus...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... -avengers/

The head of Square Enix has claimed that Crystal Dynamics was a bad fit for Marvel's Avengers, given its lack of games as a service model experience.

In an overly negative statement published in the company's annual report, Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda said that the company needed to learn from the game's "disappointing" performance.

Notably, he highlighted the importance of matching development studios with "game designs" that best suit their skillsets and interests.

Avengers developer Crystal Dynamics is best known as the studio behind the single-player Tomb Raider series of games, and its next project is a collaboration with Xbox Game Studios on Perfect Dark.

Marvel's Avengers was an ambitious title for us in that we took on the GaaS (Games as a Service) model," Matsuda said.

"We overcame a variety of unexpected difficulties in the final phase of the game's development, including needing to transition to work-from-home due to the pandemic. We were able to surmount these challenges and release the game, but it has unfortunately not proven as successful as we would have liked."

Nonetheless, taking on the GaaS model highlighted issues that we are likely to face in future game development efforts such as the need to select game designs that mesh with the unique attributes and tastes of our studios and development teams.

"While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward."

Marvel's Avengers' performance suffered partly due to technical problems present at launch. In addition to these issues, a lack of post-launch content, including delays to planned expansions and next-gen versions of the game, contributed to a dwindling player count."
The same shady Square Enix that I called out for being shady when they refused to pay People Can Fly for their work with Outriders when everyone was trying to make it look like it was Microsoft's fault, are now throwing another one of their developers under the bus? Color me shocked! Truly I am shocked! Guess who's idea it was to make Marvel's Avengers a games as a service game instead of a single player story driven experience like Guardians of the Galaxy which is getting rave reviews and is what these developers do best. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Crystal Dynamics idea. Many developers are thrown on to the sword trying to chase the latest fads.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/82579/gr ... index.html

Stop buying this game already!! GTA6 is never coming out. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
The Grand Theft Auto franchise just broke Q2 records with over $247 million earned during the quarter.

Take-Two Interactive just published its 10-Q report detailing info on GTA sales. Based on historical data, we can extrapolate the figures and compile them in a graph. The results are pretty interesting.

Game sales are likewise up. GTA V has now sold-in 155 million units worldwide, and Q2 is the fourth consecutive quarter where the game has sold 5 million units. GTA V is selling more copies per quarter than some games sell in their entire lifetimes.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I'm pretty sad we'll never get another singleplayer expansion from Rockstar because of GTA Online. GTA IV had some pretty great ones. They really bungled the remasters too, I've only played GTA:SA so far but its really disappointing and feels like a cash-in. So many bugs and technical problems, bizarre texture and model choices, few QOL improvements. Ugh.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
I don't even know if Rockstar knows how to release games anymore. They've been riding GTA 5 for so long, and yeah the remasters came out a mess. They're not even new games, and they had all the time in the world to get it right.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: I don't even know if Rockstar knows how to release games anymore. They've been riding GTA 5 for so long, and yeah the remasters came out a mess. They're not even new games, and they had all the time in the world to get it right.
At the same time RDR2 is a masterpiece of a single player game, especially on PC and it's not that old. A remaster is almost certainly coming to PS5/XSX and I don't see them messing that up when the precedent already exists on PC. Literally all the have to do is port it directly as it is so if they manage to screw that up then we'll really see if there's a problem.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: At the same time RDR2 is a masterpiece of a single player game, especially on PC and it's not that old. A remaster is almost certainly coming to PS5/XSX and I don't see them messing that up when the precedent already exists on PC. Literally all the have to do is port it directly as it is so if they manage to screw that up then we'll really see if there's a problem.
Let's hope so. PS5/XSX are more of a PC than ever before. A simple stable port should be easy. 🤞
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: Let's hope so. PS5/XSX are more of a PC than ever before. A simple stable port should be easy. 🤞
I'm pretty sure they would also handle that in house and and not outsource it like GTA Trilogy either. Everything about this GTA Trilogy indicates it being a half assed side hustle to buy some time and make a quick buck off nostalgia while their actual dev team is busy working on the next big hit. It was a certainly scumbag thing to do but these game companies are all the same to me and doesn't make me doubt their competence as a studio when they just released one of the most technically ambitious high quality single player ever made barely 2-3 years ago.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Caerus wrote:
Stop buying this game already!! GTA6 is never coming out. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Many of GTA V's Online major heists and major story missions are more fun than the best story missions in the single player portion of GTA V.

GTA 6 is most likely set in New York City again.
Rockstar is fixated on parody of American culture despite the company being founded in the U.K.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: I don't even know if Rockstar knows how to release games anymore. They've been riding GTA 5 for so long, and yeah the remasters came out a mess. They're not even new games, and they had all the time in the world to get it right.
Peak Rockstar was from the launch of GTA 3 in 2001 to the launch of GTA 5 in 2013, when they released one AAA title every year.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone playing Shin Megami Tensei V?

Great game, though technical performance is poor on the Switch. Some reviewers were claiming that this was one of the toughest JRPGs ever, but I found Bravely Default 2 to be more difficult. There are rumours of a PC and PS4 port in the future.
Jan 26, 2008
837 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
heywhatsmyname wrote: Anyone playing Shin Megami Tensei V?

Great game, though technical performance is poor on the Switch. Some reviewers were claiming that this was one of the toughest JRPGs ever, but I found Bravely Default 2 to be more difficult. There are rumours of a PC and PS4 port in the future.
Playing this at the moment. I'm like 10 hours in and just past the tokyo tower. It is just okay for me. It is not overly difficult; however, I play on normal difficulty and I bought the digital deluxe edition so I can farm exp/macca/glory easily so it is not too grindy. I died a couple of times to the hydra and I have trouble defeating the Oni in the cave so there's that. I would much prefer this on the pc as I dock anyway. I'm most likely still very much early in the game so I'll leave my thoughts for later.

But yeah, performance is quite poor when you're out exploring in the Netherworld and this is docked performance.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
vinkl wrote: Playing this at the moment. I'm like 10 hours in and just past the tokyo tower. It is just okay for me. It is not overly difficult; however, I play on normal difficulty and I bought the digital deluxe edition so I can farm exp/macca/glory easily so it is not too grindy. I died a couple of times to the hydra and I have trouble defeating the Oni in the cave so there's that. I would much prefer this on the pc as I dock anyway. I'm most likely still very much early in the game so I'll leave my thoughts for later.

But yeah, performance is quite poor when you're out exploring in the Netherworld and this is docked performance.
I'm about 10 hours in too and just defeated Oni yesterday (took about 3 or 4 tries). I didn't get the digital deluxe edition, but I'm thinking of grabbing some of the quest based DLC later on.
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11683 posts
2909 upvotes
Toronto
Never got use to the Ball top Arcade Sticks and was use to playing Bat Top style back in the day when arcade's were a thing...noticed the only one without modding is the Injustice PS3 one that also has LED lights....anyone use a arcade stick and which ones do you prefer?
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Nintendo released a new Nintendo Direct for February 2022:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting additional track DLC from previous Mario Kart games (48 tracks in total to be released, 6 at a time). I guess that means Mario Kart 9 will not be out until 2024.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has been announced.
Chrono Cross Remastered is out in April 2022.

A new Mario Strikers (Soccer game) is coming to the Nintendo Switch later this year.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 11th, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
That was a good direct, especially for fans of JRPGs. My thoughts:

I'll definitely check out the Mario Kart 8 DLC. We'll find out if it is actually going to be a notable graphical downgrade next month. Mario Kart 8 DLC until the end of 2023 means that there won't be a Mario Kart 9 on Switch anytime soon.

I tried the new Triangle Strategy demo. I did not like it at all. The game is way too story focused and its a mediocre story too.

I wish Chrono Cross remaster looked better. It's hard to remaster PS1/N64 era games. I think this is a game that would benefit from a full remake.

Live A Live looks interesting. Other games I may check out are Advance Wars 1+2 and Mario Strikers.

Also good to see Metroid Dread continuing to get some free updates.