None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7957 posts
2447 upvotes
Nintendo released their quarterly results:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200130_3e.pdf

Highlights:

52.48 Million Nintendo Switches sold since March 2017. Console Market share is: 52% PS4, 26% Nintendo Switch, 22% XBox One.
Especially impressive because PS4 and XB1 launched in 2013.
The Nintendo Switch has already surpassed lifetime XBox One sales by about 6 million units in less than 3 years on the market.

Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 16 million units in less than 2 months (Nov 15-Dec 31 2019) making it the fastest selling Pokemon game ever.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200130_3e.pdf

Nintendo Published exclusive Switch games that are million + sellers:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 22.96m
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition: 17.68m
Super Mario Odyssey: 16.59m
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 16.34m
Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield: 16.06m
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Evee: 11.76m
Splatoon 2: 9.81m
Super Mario Party: 9.12m
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 5.85M
Luigi's Mansion 3: 5.37m
Super Mario Maker 2: 5.08m
The Legend of Zelad: Link's Awakening remake: 4.19m
Fire Emblem Three Houses: 2.58m
Ring Fit Adventure: 2.17m
Astral Chain: 1.03m
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.02m

Other previously confirmed Nintendo made million sellers: Mario Tennis Aces, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Crafted World,
Kirby Star Allies (2.6 million as of March 2019).

Nintendo stock value has nearly doubled since the launch of the Nintendo Switch (March 2017).
Microsoft is one of only four trillion dollar companies in the world. (Apple, Alphabet (Google), Microsoft, Amazon). A

Overall company net worth:

Microsoft: $1 Trillion USD (cloud computing business services are their most profitable business segment)
Nintendo $85 billion USD
Sony: $45 billion USD

EDIT: Updated
Jan 22, 2017
342 posts
1243 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
The downside is that these XBox One Xs were sitting unsold for almost two years and the warranty expired according to Microsoft's product registration page.
Even the free trial codes for Game Pass and XBL Gold expired June 2019. Although I have not tried to redeem them because I am maxed out on
the allowable limit for GamePass Ultimate months (end of 2022) already.

The One X launched 2 years ago for $599 CAD, and regular or sale price is still $499-$599 CAD bundled with a game now, therefore for $299 it's a steal.
FWIW I purchased a "Open Box" Xbox One X from a Game Store in Ontario in December 2019.
Microsoft support gave me a 1 year warranty after I e-mailed them the receipt (till December 2020).
So if you're buying a console new and find it out of warranty just contact MS support and they will likely give you a year anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7415 posts
3931 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: I just completed A Plague Tale: Innocence and loved every second of it! I was waiting for this game to go on sale but it magically appeared on xbox gamepass, the greatest value in gaming history. Just need Control to hit gamepass like it was rumored and we gucci!
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Also working my way through this, its pretty amazing.
Managed to renew another 3 months for $1 and started playing this based on your comments. Really great game that is right up the alley of what I needed right now. Amazing visuals and interesting world and story so far. MS is really killing it with these game pass additions. I also really enjoy the simple little casual games like Human Fall Flat and Lonely Mountains Downhill
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7957 posts
2447 upvotes
Phil Spencer says Amazon and Google are Xbox’s real competition.
Spencer talks about how Cloud gaming could be the next console war.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/5/211241 ... ompetition

Microsoft, Google (Alphabet), and Amazon are 3 of the 4 Trillion dollar companies in the world.
The other is Apple.

Would one of the big four companies attempt to buy Sony or Nintendo?
Sony's valuation is only $45 Billion USD. Nintendo is at $85 Billion USD now.

Disney has been buying up a lot of movie and TV properties in recent years (ABC, Fox, Marvel, Star Wars)
but are way behind at a $130 Billion USD net worth.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3946 posts
1050 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Would one of the big four companies attempt to buy Sony or Nintendo?
That's an interesting proposition to acquire a company like Sony. Aside from their gaming and entertainment divisions, they still have brand recognition around home entertainment (whether or not it's still relevant or deserved is another thing), and their camera division is also sneakily good (their own line of cameras, as well as the sensors they produce for Nikon, and a variety of smartphones). I'm sure Sony holds a ton of patents that could be useful as well.

I can totally see a company like Alphabet acquiring Sony, and then just folding Sony's phone production into Pixel, embedding Chromecast into TVs, pushing out Sony Chromebooks, and bolstering their Stadia lineup with Sony exclusives (after a certain timed exclusivity on PS5). It also gives them some VR expertise as well (RIP Google DayDream)...
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1830 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Phil Spencer says Amazon and Google are Xbox’s real competition.
Spencer talks about how Cloud gaming could be the next console war.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/5/211241 ... ompetition

Microsoft, Google (Alphabet), and Amazon are 3 of the 4 Trillion dollar companies in the world.
The other is Apple.

Would one of the big four companies attempt to buy Sony or Nintendo?

Disney has been buying up a lot of movie and TV properties in recent years (ABC, Fox, Marvel, Star Wars)
but are way behind at a $130 Billion USD net worth.

I think Phil Spencer is being a little cheeky when he says Sony and Nintendo are not their primary competitors going forward - especially with the way Google botched the launch of Stadia.

Sony acquired Gaikai and invested in cloud gaming since 2012. PlayStation Now is doing okay and 2019 was the best year for the service. It's likely that Sony will continue to invest in the platform next-gen.

We all know of Nintendo's resilience in the industry.

I think rather than Google or Amazon dominating the space, it could be a disruptor like Tencent that dominates the cloud gaming space. They are already the biggest video game company.

Mergers and acquisitions are complex. Integrating Sony or Nintendo into Amazon and Google would be a monumental task without any benefit.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3946 posts
1050 upvotes
Toronto
Back to games... I just started playing Indivisible (Free on GamePass) and I'm hooked. It's like a metroidvania style platformer, but when you encounter enemies, it turns into a turn-based RPG party battle with a twist... Each character is assigned to a different face button, and so you can kind of chain together their attacks like you're doing a fighting game combo or something.

Real cool mechanic by the people who made Skullgirls.

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1232 posts
361 upvotes
Control got added to Playstation Now. Your move Game Pass...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1232 posts
361 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Top games released in 2019 IMO:

1) Resident Evil 2 remake
2) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3) Mortal Kombat 11
4) Fire Emblem: Three Houses
5) CoD Modern Warfare (for online multiplayer)
6) Ring Fit Adventure
7) Luigi's Mansion 3
8) Super Mario Maker 2
9) Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
10) Kingdom Hearts III
11) Devil May Cry 5
12) Borderlands 3 (for online multiplayer)
13) Pokemon Sword
14) Astral Chain
15) Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
16) Gears 5
17) The Outer Worlds
Have you played Kindom Hearts III? I'm curious what are you thoughts on it? I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3946 posts
1050 upvotes
Toronto
Just a PSA that Ori and the Will of the Wisps is out, and it is probably the most beautiful game or form of media I've seen in a while...
Free on Game Pass...

Jan 26, 2008
728 posts
52 upvotes
Scarborough
Is Xbox Live down? Cannot connect to Xbox Live on the Xbox One S.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1232 posts
361 upvotes
I'm getting severe frame drops playing Ori WIll of the Wisp on the One X to the point of being really jarring and borderline unplayable. I had read this was the case however supposedly it runs really smooth on PC. Watching Digital Foundry's video now to see what they say about the performance.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7957 posts
2447 upvotes
The story and dialogue in Kingdom Hearts III is still dreadfully bad.
Overall it is about what I expected it to be, if you have played any of the previous games.

Both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 are made on Unreal Engine 4 instead of SE's Luminous Engine
but Square Enix did a much better job on FF7's combat system, production values and aesthetic.
Bryson wrote: Have you played Kindom Hearts III? I'm curious what are you thoughts on it? I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would.
Bryson wrote: I'm getting severe frame drops playing Ori WIll of the Wisp on the One X to the point of being really jarring and borderline unplayable. I had read this was the case however supposedly it runs really smooth on PC. Watching Digital Foundry's video now to see what they say about the performance.

Just stared Ori 2 on XBox One X. It does have its share of problems with highly variable framerate at some spots in certain levels.
It is also free for XBox Gamepass Ultimate subscribers for PC therefore I will play it on there instead.

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1232 posts
361 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: The story and dialogue in Kingdom Hearts III is still dreadfully bad.
Overall it is about what I expected it to be, if you have played any of the previous games.

Both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 are made on Unreal Engine 4 instead of SE's Luminous Engine
but Square Enix did a much better job on FF7's combat system, production values and aesthetic.
I really enjoyed KH3 for what it was although I agree the story is dreadfully bad. Ventus and Roxas look exactly alike and are even voiced by the same actor yet somehow completely different characters. LOL what!? That just makes me want to punch Nomura in the face. KH1 had the best story. So simple and easy to relate to. Just finishing up the rest of the achievements.

FF VII is looking really good and getting lot of positive buzz. Think I'll just wait for the full game to release instead of playing the demo.

HOT off the presses! Looks like Silent Hills is being revived and will be a PS5 title under Kojima Productions.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7957 posts
2447 upvotes
It seems that Persona 5 Royal and Animal Crossing New Horizons are making strong cases for game of the year.

96 Average for Persona 5 Royal (technically an improved version of Persona 5 with more story, some extra characters, improvements and added content):
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... na-5-royal
https://opencritic.com/game/8785/persona-5-royal

92 average for Animal Crossing New Horizons (Nintendo Switch). A huge turnaround after the terrible Animal Crossing game on Wii U.
https://opencritic.com/game/7409/animal ... w-horizons
https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/ ... w-horizons