• Feb 17th, 2019 3:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3514 posts
800 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft just purchased a streaming service called Beam...
Beam launched in January to compete against well-established game streaming services from Twitch and YouTube. It set itself apart by taking a core concept made popular by streamers — the notion of letting players control a game from afar — and turning into a unique streaming platform.

For instance, Beam lets viewers suggest challenges for streamers and even alter in-game aspects like weapon loadout and quest selection. It also lets developers create special button layouts for viewers to interact with games being streamed through Beam.
Could be some interesting uses in Minecraft and Sea of Thieves... But I wonder if any of the popular streamers will bother unless MS pays them
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Well, Final Fantasy XV is offically delayed to November 29th!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/08/15/g ... -confirmed

A delay is not a bad thing (Uncharted 4 was delayed two or three times). But it's funny how Square Enix had that huge event to announce a release date, and then failed to make that date six months later.

November 29th is a good date to release in Japan (2.5 months after Persona 5). But its a poor date in the US as it will be a post-Black Friday release.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 10:42 am

A delay is not a bad thing (Uncharted 4 was delayed two or three times). But it's funny how Square Enix had that huge event to announce a release date, and then failed to make that date six months later.

November 29th is a good date to release in Japan (2.5 months after Persona 5). But its a poor date in the US as it will be a post-Black Friday release.
I'm still having trouble getting over the boy band look they're going for. Also, I wasn't a fan of Type 0 (action RPG), which I'm assuming this looks to be the same idea.

I prefer the turn based FF games.

Meh. I got it for $49 from Walmart - worth trying it out and seeing how it is.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 10:51 am
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 10:42 am

I'm still having trouble getting over the boy band look they're going for. Also, I wasn't a fan of Type 0 (action RPG), which I'm assuming this looks to be the same idea.

I prefer the turn based FF games.

Meh. I got it for $49 from Walmart - worth trying it out and seeing how it is.
The quality of this game looks hard to predict. It could be a return to form for the series or one of the worst iterations.

I cancelled my $50 Amazon pre-order recently. Will wait for reviews and impressions from others and then pick it up when it goes on sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1681 posts
312 upvotes
I think it's a bad sign that they had to delay the game 2 months - trying to force fix all these bugs in time to still make a holiday release. I know this is almost laughable for a game that has been in development for 10 years but it almost seems like they are rushing it.

I'm still hopeful though - I really want a great modern Final Fantasy game.

I think FFXIII plays great, many will disagree but I loved the game play. The problem with that game was the lackluster story, unmemorable soundtrack and the forgettable characters. This is what they must nail here.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
Debonair wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 1:57 pm
I think it's a bad sign that they had to delay the game 2 months - trying to force fix all these bugs in time to still make a holiday release. I know this is almost laughable for a game that has been in development for 10 years but it almost seems like they are rushing it.

I think FFXIII plays great, many will disagree but I loved the game play. The problem with that game was the lackluster story, unmemorable soundtrack and the forgettable characters. This is what they must nail here.
He says the reason for the delay is so that they don't have such a large day 1 patch.

I have no issues with a game delaying, take all the time you need to make the game better.
Aug 20, 2009
6889 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
Debonair wrote:
The demos were pretty discouraging and I say that as a huge fan of the series in general. I hope the delay gives them time to polish things significantly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6930 posts
1822 upvotes
Final Fantasy XIII's battle system felt like it was on autopilot. You just coach the party members and tell them what fighting strategy they should be using
and switch between them instead of issuing specific commands. FFXIII's story and dialogue was horrible as well (especially Snow).

I just hope that current Square Enix does not botch the Final Fantasy VII Remake because that one is also going to use a new battle system that differs from the original
and of course Nobuo Uetmatsu is semi-retired, works freelance, and won't be back to compose the music.

Both The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV have been in development on and off for nearly 10 years and are releasing in 2016.
Debonair wrote:

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 2:12 pm
Debonair wrote:

He says the reason for the delay is so that they don't have such a large day 1 patch.

I have no issues with a game delaying, take all the time you need to make the game better.
I agree, I don't have an issue with a game getting delayed. I don't mind Final Fantasy XV getting delayed till 2017 if it would make the game better.

However, the problem is with Square Enix's bizarre PR strategy.

And I'm sure the hoopla will continue for years with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Those two games should have been announced that early in the first place!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Debonair wrote:

I agree, I actually enjoyed the entire FFXIII trilogy. The graphics, battle mechanics and environment were great.

Square actually learned from its mistakes in FFXIII (too linear) and I liked the open nature of the other two games.

However, I could see why people dislike the trilogy - the story, characters, dialogues and voice acting were awful.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
First hour of gameplay is up.

Game looks good (graphically). Story is story, it's Final Fantasy.

But I didn't like Type 0, and if the Wait mode doesn't fix my qualms, I'll probably end up just selling this. I prefer turn based FF games.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6930 posts
1822 upvotes
From after Final Fantasy 12 onward, the Persona series has made the best recent JRPGS.

I would put the current staff at Square Enix in 2nd place.
Aug 20, 2009
6889 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
I thought FF12 walked a fine line with removing too much player agency with the gambit system but in the end it was better for it. Maybe it was the big world or the sort of MMO-style combat that it complemented. I just really dug FF12 despite its warts. They didn't leave much on the table with that game, its ridiculously big and filled with crap with to do. It's almost too much at times even. The game was also a technical marvel at the time, the fact that they got it to run on the PS2 was incredible. FFXIII on the other hand I couldn't get into. The music was a surprising letdown, the combat completely uninvolved and the rails style gameplay just left a poor taste in my mouth. FF stories have always been clumsy but XIII was overwrought even for a JRPG. FF games for me have always been about the big worlds with weird sidequests and airships. I know every FF fan has that one game that rubs them the wrong way and FFXIII was it for me.

I hear that it improved with the sequels but by then I was into other games like Xenoblade and sort of forgot about them. If they ever do a trilogy remix for PS4 then maybe I would pick them up if its worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1681 posts
312 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:Final Fantasy XIII's battle system felt like it was on autopilot. You just coach the party members and tell them what fighting strategy they should be using
and switch between them instead of issuing specific commands. FFXIII's story and dialogue was horrible as well (especially Snow).

I just hope that current Square Enix does not botch the Final Fantasy VII Remake because that one is also going to use a new battle system that differs from the original
and of course Nobuo Uetmatsu is semi-retired, works freelance, and won't be back to compose the music.

Both The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV have been in development on and off for nearly 10 years and are releasing in 2016.
Debonair wrote:

I actually didn't mind that the battle system was "on autopilot" - I loved Ogre Battle which actually is on autopilot. It's the strategy that I enjoyed - it's too bad everything else about the game sucked.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1681 posts
312 upvotes
Also with my comments im not complaining about the delay - just pointing out that I doubt they iron out all the issues in 2 months (which is actually much less development time). We'll see - I hope its great.