• Feb 18th, 2022 11:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Did anyone pick up any of the games on sale through XBL or PSN recently?

I finally picked up DS3 despite saying I wouldnt until I beat DS1. Half tempted at throwing money at Doom, Wolfenstien, and Aassasins Creed but I dont like having more then 1 game to play at once.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Did anyone pick up any of the games on sale through XBL or PSN recently?

I finally picked up DS3 despite saying I wouldnt until I beat DS1. Half tempted at throwing money at Doom, Wolfenstien, and Aassasins Creed but I dont like having more then 1 game to play at once.
If you are thinking of those 3, go for Doom! I sound like a broken record on this game but it surprised me so much. A game I thought would last me 10-15 hours at most, I ended up playing for 25.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: If you are thinking of those 3, go for Doom! I sound like a broken record on this game but it surprised me so much. A game I thought would last me 10-15 hours at most, I ended up playing for 25.
I did not dig the demo or the multiplayer beta at all and I feel its a game much better suited to M/K but the word of mouth is making it hard to resist. It being the most expensive of the bunch is also not helping its cause.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I did not dig the demo or the multiplayer beta at all and I feel its a game much better suited to M/K but the word of mouth is making it hard to resist. It being the most expensive of the bunch is also not helping its cause.
Yeah, once it drops to that magical $20-30 range, I think we'll see an uptick. I actually lent my copy to friends because they didn't want to pay that much for it... I generally don't keep games, but Doom, Halo 5 and Titanfall are the 3 remaining physical discs in my library.

Also, I didn't find it difficult to play on controller. It's a fast game, and will take some getting used to, but it's not an overly precise game. You're constantly on the move in either corridors or medium sized arena areas so I never found the need to whip around 180 degrees instantly was an absolute necessity either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
I just finished Doom the other night at 30 hours. Pretty much all of that was single player. I only spent like 1 hour in snap map. Best FPS i've played in years
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: I just finished Doom the other night at 30 hours. Pretty much all of that was single player. I only spent like 1 hour in snap map. Best FPS i've played in years
IRRC Correctly you were a big fan of Wolfenstien too, how do you feel that compares to Doom?

I played the first 1.5 levels of Wolfenstien and it has intrigued me ever since.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: IRRC Correctly you were a big fan of Wolfenstien too, how do you feel that compares to Doom?

I played the first 1.5 levels of Wolfenstien and it has intrigued me ever since.
It's kind of apples and oranges tbh. Wolfenstien has a great story, Doom may as well have none. Wolfenstien had great gameplay but it was still somewhat of a same old linear cover based COD style shooter with the setting, enemies and weaponry setting it apart. Doom is the furthest thing from a same old linear FPS and has you flying around unique arenas juggling 10 weapons at once like a madman. I didn't care for the collectibles and secrets in Wolfenstien but felt compelled to find everything in Doom.
They're both good for completely different reasons but I think I enjoyed Doom more and a single play through took me almost twice as long
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: I just finished Doom the other night at 30 hours. Pretty much all of that was single player. I only spent like 1 hour in snap map. Best FPS i've played in years
Holy 30 hours?

I did it in a third I think, crazy.

Definitely didn't get the vibe everyone else got about it being great.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
I finally got around to playing Splatoon last weekend. I bought it months ago but did not get around to playing it until now.
Overall, I find Splatoon underwhelming due to it being online multiplayer focused and how restrictive its online modes are.
You can only play on two maps and cannot play in ranked matches until you reach level 10 on your character.
Reaching level 10 would probably take around 6-8 hours as well, therefore you are locked out of most maps and modes until then.

Nintendo is also killing Splatoon's most popular mode (Splatfest) later this month for good.

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/news/article/?id=82
http://kotaku.com/seven-changes-nintend ... 1782963532

In the main hub I ran into a player claiming they cannot even play Splatoon because their internet connection is not good enough.
The appearance of your squid changes based on the random colour of the team your character last played on by the way, I didn't pick pink.

For some reason I was mostly matched up with Japanese players during my first 5-10 games as well. Getting a match started can sometimes
take around 3-5 minutes which is about as long as the matches themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSaXavOXaM

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhUn0JqAmvE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: Holy 30 hours?

I did it in a third I think, crazy.

Definitely didn't get the vibe everyone else got about it being great.
That 30 hours includes finishing a handful of the classic maps which are hard but fun as hell and replaying some of the campaign missions to comb for the remaining secrets. The classic maps alone are an extra 5-6 hours of content depending how good you are at the game. Anyone can rush through the campaign in 10-15 hours but you'd be missing a lot imo

I really think YMMV playing this game with a gamepad. I have no idea how comfortable or good you are at twitch fps games with a gamepad, but I needed a kb/m to enjoy this game, something I haven't felt with a SP FPS in forever. It's like playing CSGO, Unreal Tournament or Quake with a gamepad, sure it's playable but you wouldn't be realizing the full potential of the mobility and gameplay.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Shrug. I loved playing Splatoon.

Game was fun as hell.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
I really don't think there are many NA players playing Splatoon.

It's incredibly popular in Japan so it's no wonder they dominate lobbies.

It's a good game, it could be even more but ... Nintendo-silo. A 3rd party developer would have taken it to a whole ... 'nother ... level.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I really think YMMV playing this game with a gamepad. I have no idea how comfortable or good you are at twitch fps games with a gamepad, but I needed a kb/m to enjoy this game, something I haven't felt with a SP FPS in forever. It's like playing CSGO, Unreal Tournament or Quake with a gamepad, sure it's playable but you wouldn't be realizing the full potential of the mobility and gameplay.
I think you're selling this game short with the comment about controllers. Did you try playing the game w/ a gamepad?

Nobody NEEDS a kb/m to enjoy the game. The game itself is good, despite the controller you decide to use. As someone who grew up playing FPS games using kb, then kb/m, then console controller, the game is the game is the game and id does a good job at making it accessible for gamepad players. Slower turning or lack of precision doesn't detract from it, although it might make how you play the game a bit different. For instance, some of the upgrades aren't as useful - I barely bothered with the scope upgrades for the machine gun or the gauss rifle, (although I still upgraded them fully and did the challenges associated with them).

Nobody played the original Doom with kb/m, and there was no freelook, and yet it was still a fun game regardless.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I think you're selling this game short with the comment about controllers. Did you try playing the game w/ a gamepad?

Nobody NEEDS a kb/m to enjoy the game. The game itself is good, despite the controller you decide to use. As someone who grew up playing FPS games using kb, then kb/m, then console controller, the game is the game is the game and id does a good job at making it accessible for gamepad players. Slower turning or lack of precision doesn't detract from it, although it might make how you play the game a bit different. For instance, some of the upgrades aren't as useful - I barely bothered with the scope upgrades for the machine gun or the gauss rifle, (although I still upgraded them fully and did the challenges associated with them).

Nobody played the original Doom with kb/m, and there was no freelook, and yet it was still a fun game regardless.
I actually started with a gamepad and for the first time in like 5 years felt like it was holding me back and switched. I usually don't care about using kb/m for SP shooters since I mostly agree with you that in that the majority of single player FPS games are catered for gamepads to be perfectly competent for the style of gameplay but I really felt DOOM was an exception to this.
The original Doom had autoaim, no jump and nowhere near the same degree of verticality. It was designed to be played without free look so that's not really a good comparison. Quake and Unreal are much more similar stylistically and everyone played those with kb/m
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
M1GOmigs wrote: I think you're selling this game short with the comment about controllers. Did you try playing the game w/ a gamepad?

I think he just means because it's a twitch shooter. I agree with him, the game would be better with KB/M because of how much you're looking around - but that doesn't fix my gripes with the game.

It's like Overwatch. No idea how anyone can play that with a controller, it's so twitchy.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I actually started with a gamepad and for the first time in like 5 years felt like it was holding me back and switched. I usually don't care about using kb/m for SP shooters since I mostly agree with you that in that the majority of single player FPS games are catered for gamepads to be perfectly competent for the style of gameplay but I really felt DOOM was an exception to this.
The original Doom had autoaim, no jump and nowhere near the same degree of verticality. It was designed to be played without free look so that's not really a good comparison. Quake and Unreal are much more similar stylistically and everyone played those with kb/m
I'm not making a 1 to 1 comparison obviously, and at the time Quake and Unreal were popular, gamepads were garbage for FPS anyway. I would contend that all things being equal (ie everyone playing on modern gamepads) then Quake and UT would still be fun. People would just play it differently.

I'm merely disputing your comment that people will miss out if they're not playing kb/m. The way you play might change but it's still a good game played on a controller. I never once felt like I was overwhelmed by enemies because of my inability to react quickly enough due to not being on kb/m.

Did it take some getting used to because of the speed? Yes, but after the first level I felt fully comfortable with the controls.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
squadz wrote: I think he just means because it's a twitch shooter. I agree with him, the game would be better with KB/M because of how much you're looking around - but that doesn't fix my gripes with the game.

It's like Overwatch. No idea how anyone can play that with a controller, it's so twitchy.
Blizzard has done a ton of work on the controls of the console versions and it definitely doesnt feel like a twitch shooter at all with the exception of maybe one or two heroes. Its actually one of the few MP games I'll play via streaming because input lag and such dont really matter all that much when your playing as several characters.

Doom I can understand though, the speed of your rotation speed feels catered to M&K but having said that its a single player game and glory kills seemed to eliminate much of the need for precision aiming so I doubt its inherently worse on controller then it is on M&K. The multiplayer portion of it was borderline unplayable though IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I'm not making a 1 to 1 comparison obviously, and at the time Quake and Unreal were popular, gamepads were garbage for FPS anyway. I would contend that all things being equal (ie everyone playing on modern gamepads) then Quake and UT would still be fun. People would just play it differently.

I'm merely disputing your comment that people will miss out if they're not playing kb/m. The way you play might change but it's still a good game played on a controller. I never once felt like I was overwhelmed by enemies because of my inability to react quickly enough due to not being on kb/m.

Did it take some getting used to because of the speed? Yes, but after the first level I felt fully comfortable with the controls.
I didn't mean to imply they'd be missing out on anything as much as point out that it's a huge shift from the pacing and style other recent shooters. If someone is accustom to playing games like Halo, COD, Wolfenstien, Destiny, Gears, Uncharted ect with gamepad then jumps into Doom expecting the same level of pacing and game pad accessibility, they may not like it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Blizzard has done a ton of work on the controls of the console versions and it definitely doesnt feel like a twitch shooter at all with the exception of maybe one or two heroes. Its actually one of the few MP games I'll play via streaming because input lag and such dont really matter all that much when your playing as several characters.

Doom I can understand though, the speed of your rotation speed feels catered to M&K but having said that its a single player game and glory kills seemed to eliminate much of the need for precision aiming so I doubt its inherently worse on controller then it is on M&K. The multiplayer portion of it was borderline unplayable though IMO.
MP was a different matter, and it wasn't because of M&K vs gamepad. That was just a generic shooter aping UT, with loadout options and a weird demon powerup. To this day, I don't know why they doubled down on MP with this game, to the extent that the DLC they have is all MP.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11679 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I played Doom on my PC with a 360 controller. I had no problems playing it with a controller. I don't play alot of FPS because I'm not overly skilled at multiplayer. I've really enjoyed the revamped Wolfenstein and Doom franchises. They've been done really well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)