None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 12:00 pm
Are we turning this into another console war discussion? It's a good feature, but you're ignoring that it's been available on XB1 for a while now too.
WiiU has had external hard drive support forever as well. Nice to see Sony finally catching up to Nintendo Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 9, 2014
971 posts
2164 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:18 pm
WiiU has had external hard drive support forever as well. Nice to see Sony finally catching up to Nintendo Face With Tears Of Joy
The XB1 and Wii U do not have user replaceable internal storage drives. The PS4 does, since day one. And it shipped with a 500GB drive since day one.

The Wii U only has a maximum of 32GB of storage, now this is something to laugh about.

Oh yeah the Nintendo Switch will be releasing in 2017 with only 32GB of storage as well, which is downright shameful. It’s the year 2017 and a dedicated video game console will only have 32GB of storage, now that’s just sad.

If there is anyone that needs to “catch up” it’s Nintendo with their inferior hardware, inferior operating system, and garbage online infrastructure. The Switch features all three.
Jan 28, 2013
144 posts
42 upvotes
Canada Eh
WH0WHAT wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 2:37 pm
The XB1 and Wii U do not have user replaceable internal storage drives. The PS4 does, since day one. And it shipped with a 500GB drive since day one.
I don't see how this is a positive point at all. Are you suggesting that its easier to replace the drive then simply purchasing an external drive and plugging it into a USB port? Especially for the average consumer who definitely shouldn't be opening up their system? Its factual, Sony is finally playing catching up with this feature and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Its a solid addition to the OS that doesn't need defending even if Sony is late to the party.
Feb 9, 2014
971 posts
2164 upvotes
Toronto
playingintraffic wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 3:17 pm
I don't see how this is a positive point at all. Are you suggesting that its easier to replace the drive then simply purchasing an external drive and plugging it into a USB port? Especially for the average consumer who definitely shouldn't be opening up their system? Its factual, Sony is finally playing catching up with this feature and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Its a solid addition to the OS that doesn't need defending even if Sony is late to the party.
How in the world is having an easily accessible, user replaceable hard drive (that doesn't void a person's warranty, and does not involve "opening up" their system) NOT positive at all? Since the PS4 released, everyone has praised Sony's design choice of allowing people to replace the PS4's hard drive easily. If you or anyone else does not find that to be a positive, then you must hate a lot of things and have no appreciation of great design.

Also, I didn't "suggest" that it's easier to replace the drive than purchasing an external drive and plugging it into the console (I was just making a comparison in the post you quoted), but you're the one who brought it up. And now that you brought it up, I do agree that it is easier to just plug an external hard drive to a console for your storage needs, but replacing the PS4's internal hard drive isn't even remotely a difficult task. Even below average consumers can do it. People who complain about these things are the definition of lazy and incompetent.

With the introduction of external hard drive support in combination with an easy, user replaceable internal hard drive, the PS4 now has the best solutions to users who want more storage.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
WH0WHAT wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 2:37 pm
Oh yeah the Nintendo Switch will be releasing in 2017 with only 32GB of storage as well, which is downright shameful. It’s the year 2017 and a dedicated video game console will only have 32GB of storage, now that’s just sad.
The Switch storage seems pretty standard for a portable device. The baseline models of most recent smartphones and tablets come with 16-32GB and an SD slot which is exactly what the Switch has. For comparison the VITA came with 1GB of storage and required absurdly overpriced propriety cards with a max capacity of 64GB.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:02 pm
The Switch storage seems pretty standard for a portable device. The baseline models of most recent smartphones and tablets come with 16-32GB and an SD slot which is exactly what the Switch has. For comparison the VITA came with 1GB of storage and required absurdly overpriced propriety cards with a max capacity of 64GB.
To add, we don't know yet what the Switch game cartridges' capacity will be. If it's the case where the game, saves and any potential patches are just saved on the cartridge without using up system memory, then it shouldn't be a big issue.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Feb 9, 2014
971 posts
2164 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:02 pm
You’re trying so hard to justify the Nintendo Switch’s inferior design choices that the only way to make it look somewhat better is to bring up different classes of consumer electronics and a dedicated video game handheld that released over 6 years ago. Keep reaching and defending.

Okay you want to compare the Switch to a tablet, smartphone, and the Vita? AFAIK, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t even have an internet browser or Netflix capabilities, LOL, absolutely pathetic. “Bu bu but, it’ll come in an update, it’ll come eventually!”
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
WH0WHAT wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:41 pm
You’re trying so hard to justify the Nintendo Switch’s inferior design choices that the only way to make it look somewhat better is to bring up different classes of consumer electronics and a dedicated video game handheld that released over 6 years ago. Keep reaching and defending.

Okay you want to compare the Switch to a tablet, smartphone, and the Vita? AFAIK, the Nintendo Switch doesn’t even have an internet browser or Netflix capabilities, LOL, absolutely pathetic. “Bu bu but, it’ll come in an update, it’ll come eventually!”
Are you aware that the switch is a fully portable device? I guess I don't understand why or how you expect a portable gaming device to have the same 500GB+ storage as a stationary home console when historically portable devices never have that kind of storage, hence comparison to recent tablets, phones and Vita which is currently the most powerful dedicated handheld gaming device until the Switch releases. VITA came out in 2012 btw so it just turned 5 years old
Feb 9, 2014
971 posts
2164 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 5:05 pm
Are you aware that the switch is a fully portable device? I guess I don't understand why or how you expect a portable gaming device to have the same 500GB+ storage as a stationary home console when historically portable devices never have that kind of storage, hence comparison to recent tablets, phones and Vita which is currently the most powerful dedicated handheld gaming device until the Switch releases. VITA came out in 2012 btw so it just turned 5 years old
I wasn't expecting 500GB of storage for the Nintendo Switch, but nor was I expecting such a scarce amount. Who knows, maybe that's enough for the Switch? Maybe it's enough for Nintendo's first party games which pretty much ship with their final code and patches, but third parties? That's another dilemma. When third party games are pushing gigabytes upon gigabytes of updates and patches I doubt third parties would go out of their way to cater for the Switch and its limited storage/hardware capabilities. Time will tell.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5859 posts
1229 upvotes
The 32GB of storage on the Wii U was not enough.
I used it all up on just installing the performance enhancement patches for Xenoblade Chronicles X (which was around 20GB alone,
Super Smash Bros Wii U DLC, and Mario Kart 8 DLC, and a few virtual console titles. I had no room leftover to keep the digital versions of DK Tropical Freeze or Pikmin 3 that were
given away on Club Nintendo on the Wii U without having a dedicated external drive hooked up to it. Therefore I just stuck with the physical versions of those two games.

With the Wii U and most likely the Nintendo Switch, it pretty much forces you to buy an external drive ($80 - $120) or high capacity SD memory card unless you have fewer than 10 games.

Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14320 posts
1025 upvotes
As an owner of both the xb1 and ps4 acquired within a short period of time in 2016 after a period of boredom struck I decided to see if the games were much better. Honestly I play exclusives ob it but that's it. Much of m y time is on my pc with steams immense library. For the cost of 1 console game I can get 3 or 4 aaa games on their regular sales. Couple that with the console controller you are golden.

I'm glad consoles are popular though because without them many of the pc ports wouldn't exists amd same goes with the developers.

The only game I'm looking forward to on console now is god of war and last of us 2.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
I had picked up Halo Wars 2 Ultimate edition over the holidays and as part of that you got a copy of Halo Wars Definitive Edition.

I didnt get much of a chance to play it until the last couple weeks but after re-playing through Halo Wars Im pretty excited, its a great RTS more importantly I can play it on PC where it feels better (though surprisingly not by that much) then the XB1 version. The Campaign is really well put together and varied for an RTS and the multiplayer is surprisingly fun as well.

I had really no hype at all for Halo Wars 2 but after playing through HW1 again Im really excited, hopefully the campaign is as well put together as HW1 and the story/cutscenes as well.

Anyone else picking this up? Id actually recommend the ultimate edition for anyone who is. For an extra 20$ you get a re-masterered PC/XB1 version of the first game, extra story missions as DLC, early access, and some other characters or something (the first couple items make it totally worth it).
Sep 4, 2016
391 posts
110 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 3:21 am
As an owner of both the xb1 and ps4 acquired within a short period of time in 2016 after a period of boredom struck I decided to see if the games were much better. Honestly I play exclusives ob it but that's it. Much of m y time is on my pc with steams immense library. For the cost of 1 console game I can get 3 or 4 aaa games on their regular sales. Couple that with the console controller you are golden.

I'm glad consoles are popular though because without them many of the pc ports wouldn't exists amd same goes with the developers.

The only game I'm looking forward to on console now is god of war and last of us 2.
Honestly, I don't think it's worth owning any console this gen. I just can't justify it. Last gen was the peak for gaming.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7272 posts
704 upvotes
Victoria
Personally I think the best combo is PC + PS4. PC for pretty much everything and a ps4 for playstation exclusives.

I will say overall, that this gen (both PC and Console) there seems to be way less games I want to play than previous generations. It's probably just me and the types of games I like to play. Action/Adventure/Medieval RPG's. Franchises like inFamous, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, uncharted etc... they're out there, they seem less frequent, and there seems to be less gamble on new franchises....
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 4:09 pm
Anyone else picking this up? Id actually recommend the ultimate edition for anyone who is. For an extra 20$ you get a re-masterered PC/XB1 version of the first game, extra story missions as DLC, early access, and some other characters or something (the first couple items make it totally worth it).
I'm definitely interested in Halo Wars 2, but the Windows Store is positively stingy compared to others when it comes to sales on the PC. Maybe it's just me being spoiled by paying pocket change for huge titles, but it's going to have to do better if it's looking to catch my attention. Recore is still $20 at the cheapest. Keep waiting for that to head to Steam.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.