None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2919 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 12:08 pm
I'm definitely interested in Halo Wars 2, but the Windows Store is positively stingy compared to others when it comes to sales on the PC. Maybe it's just me being spoiled by paying pocket change for huge titles, but it's going to have to do better if it's looking to catch my attention. Recore is still $20 at the cheapest. Keep waiting for that to head to Steam.
Look at it from the other side though... As a console owner, I would be very frustrated w/ MS if they tried to compete with Steam-like sale prices on a PC port of a console game that isn't even out yet, and didn't do anything for console owners...
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 12:08 pm
I'm definitely interested in Halo Wars 2, but the Windows Store is positively stingy compared to others when it comes to sales on the PC. Maybe it's just me being spoiled by paying pocket change for huge titles, but it's going to have to do better if it's looking to catch my attention. Recore is still $20 at the cheapest. Keep waiting for that to head to Steam.
Yup still waiting on a decent not price error deal on Forza Horizon 3
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 12:32 pm
Look at it from the other side though... As a console owner, I would be very frustrated w/ MS if they tried to compete with Steam-like sale prices on a PC port of a console game that isn't even out yet, and didn't do anything for console owners...
Lol I think console owners will just have to get used to it, honestly. One of the biggest reasons for me to turn back to pc gaming was the number of times I'd see discounts on PSN during the big holidays, and prices would only come down to where they were regularly anyway on Steam before Steam does a huge cut and you can pick up the game for next to nothing. Closed market vs open, really. It's how Nintendo gets away with never discounting their games.
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 12:56 pm
Yup still waiting on a decent not price error deal on Forza Horizon 3
I think you're in for a long, long wait. FH is Microsoft published, so unless they break, you won't see any deals on it. But hopefully at some point the MS store will take the hint.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2919 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:00 pm
Lol I think console owners will just have to get used to it, honestly. One of the biggest reasons for me to turn back to pc gaming was the number of times I'd see discounts on PSN during the big holidays, and prices would only come down to where they were regularly anyway on Steam before Steam does a huge cut and you can pick up the game for next to nothing. Closed market vs open, really. It's how Nintendo gets away with never discounting their games.
I mean, this is the Console Gaming thread though, so I was trying to inject a console owner perspective to answer your question.

We all know that we will never get Steam-like sales on consoles early on because as you say, a closed market really hinders discounts. At the same time, I think MS is still focused on trying to improve the XBox One experience, especially w/ Scorpio coming out in the holidays... the PC play anywhere stuff I think was ultimately a ploy to inflate their sales and community numbers and for some games increase player counts. Had they not been lagging so much to Sony, we likely wouldn't have seen Play Anywhere.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:00 pm
I think you're in for a long, long wait. FH is Microsoft published, so unless they break, you won't see any deals on it. But hopefully at some point the MS store will take the hint.
Ya i get that and I'm fine with waiting as I'm drowning in games. It actually has gone on sale already a couple times recently but only to like $45-50 CAD which isn't good enough considering it's nearing 5 months old and loaded with DLC. Not bad but not great either if you compare it to other deals on new releases on Steam and Origin
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:33 pm
I mean, this is the Console Gaming thread though, so I was trying to inject a console owner perspective to answer your question.
Yep, and as a console gamer I know the perspective well. I'm just saying that if MS is serious about moving back into the pc scene, they are going to have to accept that current windows store prices aren't going to cut it. As for Scorpio, I'm actually really interested in hearing your views on it (or anybody's who's planning on buying it anyways). I still don't understand the point of a 'premium' xbox, especially with its rumored specs which would put it into 1060/1070 range. Unless they're willing to take a hit, its neither here nor there in terms of what it offers. Though I think you hit it on the head when you say that play-anywhere is pretty much forced by Sony at this point, along with BC which ms is doing quite well.
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:53 pm
Ya i get that and I'm fine with waiting as I'm drowning in games. It actually has gone on sale already a couple times recently but only to like $45-50 CAD which isn't good enough considering it's nearing 5 months old and loaded with DLC. Not bad but not great either if you compare it to other deals on new releases on Steam and Origin
Yeah they should really be packaging it in a goty version with all the dlc included by now. It's really getting harder and harder to persuade yourself to buy day-1 these days, considering you usually pay top prices for the 'unfinished' version.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
I received Nioh from the pre-orders I made last year but I will probably postphone playing it until I finish some other games first.
It is definitely harder than any of the Dark Souls game but also received very high review scores. It plays more like a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls
instead of an exact clone.

So far Nioh the highest reviewed game of 2017 with a metacritic average of 87 out of 100.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nioh

-

I just played through Ubisoft's For Honor online multiplayer beta test but I am not that impressed with it.

-

Also, a new Nier Automata trailer was released yesterday:

Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4486 posts
1286 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 5:56 pm
I received Nioh from the pre-orders I made last year but I will probably postphone playing it until I finish some other games first.
It is definitely harder than any of the Dark Souls game but also received very high review scores. It plays more like a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls

So far Nioh the highest reviewed game of 2017 with a metacritic average of 87 out of 100.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nioh

-

I just played through Ubisoft's For Honor online multiplayer beta test but I am not that impressed with it.

-

Also, a new Nier Automata trailer was released yesterday:

Not my cup of tea, but PS4 is killing it in exclusives.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
972 upvotes
Vaughan
9394 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 9:18 pm
Not my cup of tea, but PS4 is killing it in exclusives.
Agreed there. Not my thing, but just another exclusive for Sony. It's a shame that it took them three years to build up a catalog, but it's nice to see. I'm personally of the camp that exclusives sell consoles, and given how we've been getting less and less lately, it didn't look good.

One of the reasons I just sold my Xbox actually. No real reason to keep it anymore, Scalebound was the last thing I wanted from it. It survived a good four months on my shelf before I ran out of games to play on it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 5:56 pm
Have you had a chance to play this at all? I'm kind of holding off until I hear from some forum users about it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4634 posts
574 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:53 pm
http://www.cdkeys.com/?q=halo%20wars

The game is already getting some discounts here and I imagine the price will plummet ala ACU/ACBF/Gears/Halo 5 after a few months since it's part of a generic Bundle.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 12:57 pm
Have you had a chance to play this at all? I'm kind of holding off until I hear from some forum users about it.
I have played the intro section so far but I'm not out of the starting level. The main game I am playing through right now is Tales of Berseria.

It can be co-oped online if you want help just like with Dark Souls but it is kind of cheap to beat the game that way.

From what I played so far I prefer Bloodborne and Dark Souls but the games are not that similar since they use
different button inputs and a slightly different approach on the combat and world systems.

What I do like so far:

- Weapon and gear drops are random. In Dark Souls or Bloodborne, certain good Weapons can only be found at specific places or under specific conditions.
- action mode is 60 frames per second in Nioh which is what Demon's Souls on PS3 targeted.

What I don't like:
- you cannot customize the base appearance of your character in Nioh (you only can customize what gear and attire he is wearing)
- the story at the introduction of the game seems dull
- the graphics are not very impressive.

Easy Allies did a 14 minute in-depth review of Nioh and gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. A lot of them are big Bloodborne and/or Dark Souls series fans.
Nioh is made by Team Ninja at Techmo so it plays more like a hybrid of Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls.

[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
972 upvotes
Vaughan
On the topic of Easy Allies, I find them to be irritating. No one really knowledgeable either - most of their podcasts is them guessing, they have no insider information or anything behind the scenes. It would be like a text to speech version of RedFlagDeals Video Game forum.

Giant Bomb, and Kinda Funny are the go-to's for everything video game related.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 2:28 pm
On the topic of Easy Allies, I find them to be irritating. No one really knowledgeable either - most of their podcasts is them guessing, they have no insider information or anything behind the scenes. It would be like a text to speech version of RedFlagDeals Video Game forum.

Giant Bomb, and Kinda Funny are the go-to's for everything video game related.
I prefer Easy Allies because they play a variety of genres and especially the niche genres like Japanese developed games and JRPGs.
They also cover pop culture, anime and other topics.

Giant Bomb really does not cover Japanese developed games or JRPGs very much or if they do they generally do not like them.
If you look at Giant Bomb's reviews they only cover the big name game releases like RE7, CoD, Titanfall 2, Gears of War 4, and rarely anything Nintendo related:
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/?sort= ... ction=DESC

Kinda Funny is okay but they are more Playstation focused and they never actually review games anymore since the four of them broke away from IGN.
They just discuss games and give their impressions. I find Greg Miller somewhat effeminate and annoying to listen to whenever he is the main host.

On Easy Allies' other channel they stick to doing a game stream schedule on Twitch everyday and cover RPGs, older games like the old Zeldas and Earthbound,
which probably takes a lot of dedication.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL7O6O ... Gcw/videos

Easy Allies also does random fun things like making Dino Crisis dioramas for losing their friendly bets.
People in their 20s and 30s making dioramas is something no other game outlet would do.

Easy Allies' impressions on Ni No Kuni 2, Tekken 7:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 14th, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4634 posts
574 upvotes
I picked up Splatoon a few weeks back when it was on sale and I have been enjoying it a lot. The single player isnt anything thats going to blow your socks off but it finds a lot of fun and unique ways to exploit the mechanics of the game. Ive also been really enjoying the multiplayer as well, the 3 minute run time make it a great game to pick up and play when you only have 15 minutes or so. The online works surprisingly really well too, Ive had nothing but issues with almost every Nintendo game that has some form of online connectivity but Ive had zero issues here and there is a fun and pretty well thought out leveling/item system with a lot of variety.

Ill definitely be picking up the sequall on day one. Hopefully they can get to 1080P on the Switch version to really let the art style shine.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel