[OP]
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
977 upvotes
Vaughan
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 2:39 pm
I don't understand why people are surprised at the quality of Horizon, while using Guerilla's history as an FPS developer. I mean, Naughty Dog used to make cartoonish platformers before Uncharted and Last of Us, but nobody ever questioned their pedigree... Killzone was a decent, if unspectacular franchise, but it still showed their team had a lot of technical skill.

Horizon has always looked like an amazing game, ever since its debut a couple years ago. Sometimes developers just get stuck in a genre because they're forced to, and I'm glad they were given the freedom to make some new IP.
Because No Man's Sky looked like an amazing game before it's release as well.

Naughty Dog now has a history in that space, they've earned the respect. Gorilla hasn't. It's essentially a whole new thing for them. Like Michael Jordan playing baseball.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
M1GOmigs wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 2:39 pm
I don't understand why people are surprised at the quality of Horizon, while using Guerilla's history as an FPS developer. I mean, Naughty Dog used to make cartoonish platformers before Uncharted and Last of Us, but nobody ever questioned their pedigree... Killzone was a decent, if unspectacular franchise, but it still showed their team had a lot of technical skill.

Horizon has always looked like an amazing game, ever since its debut a couple years ago. Sometimes developers just get stuck in a genre because they're forced to, and I'm glad they were given the freedom to make some new IP.
Killzone has always been average to good in my books and they've never done something like this before. That said they obviously knocked it out of the park so kudos to them. First serious exclusive I'm getting this year.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3021 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 3:48 pm
Because No Man's Sky looked like an amazing game before it's release as well.

Naughty Dog now has a history in that space, they've earned the respect. Gorilla hasn't. It's essentially a whole new thing for them. Like Michael Jordan playing baseball.
Except Hello Games had only made indie games before, and No Man's Sky was pretty much going to be an Indie game until Sony tried to make it something bigger. Say what you will about Guerilla, but at least since Killzone 2, the franchise has been marketed as a first party AAA franchise and they know the stakes. I'm willing to bet their team is much better resourced than Hello's team.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
Its possible for a developer to make a crappy game and then make a good game. All it usually takes is a bit of passion for the project.

I'll go back to using double helix as an example. Before KI all these guys made were some crappy licensed movies and then they got the contract for KI a game they were all very passionate about and laid the ground work for one of the most fun and underrated fighting games available now.

Guerilla has always been a great studio technically and they even released some pretty good games (Killzone 2 wasn't amazing but it was pretty good). Im not surprised that free of the shackles of Killzone (as well as being a launch developer) they were able to put out a quality product, I think Im just more surprised about how good I keep hearing it is.

Unfortunately (for me anyways) its getting a lot of comparisons to FarCry which is a game that I dropped after a few hours so Im probably not going to run out and spend 80$ on this espeically with Halo Wars 2 currently on deck and Zelda right around the corner but Im still real excited to play it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
2017 probably has the all-time highest number of quality games that have ever released in the first 3 months of a year plus a console launch.

Zelda, Nier Automata, and Mass Effect Andromeda are out later this month.
Horizon: Zero Dawn, Tales of Berseria, Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Gravity Rush 2, For Honor, and others already released.

Roundup of the top reviewed games of 2017 so far:

Thus far The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a Metacritic aggregate average of 98 after 53 reviews.
This is the highest metacritic average since Grand Theft Auto IV (although 4 is a highly overrated GTA game that is probably the 3rd or 4th best in the GTA series IMO).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/t ... f-the-wild
http://opencritic.com/game/1548/the-leg ... f-the-wild

NieR: Automata has a 93 an average right now based on a lower sample size of only 4 reviews.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... r-automata
http://opencritic.com/game/3540/nier-automata

A distant 3rd is Horizon Zero Dawn with an 88 average after 93 reveiws.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... -zero-dawn
http://opencritic.com/game/2862/horizon-zero-dawn

4th is Nioh at 87
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nioh

The all-time highest reviewed game (going by critic review average) is The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
Nice should have it hand tomorrow, going to be a fun weekend!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
That's pretty crazy, no new Halo for a console launch? They must have something huge they're holding back, pretty stoked to hear about it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
It seems like Japanese developed games will dominate the 2017 game of the year award nominees:

The first Persona 5 (English version) review:
Score comes from Official PlayStation Magazine UK.

The first review of Atlus’ hotly anticipated Persona 5 has arrived in the pages of OPM UK, with the publication awarding the JRPG a perfect score of 10/10.

Fans of the long-running franchise will be pleased to learn that this latest installment is an absolute belter, with Persona 5 described by OPM as “the most accomplished, accessible, precocious modern JRPG out there.” In fact, the magazine says it’s not only better than its predecessor, but also tops Square Enix’s Final Fantasy 15.
Persona 5 also averaged over 95% in Japanese game reviews when it released over there last year.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 98 average
Persona 5 - likely 90+ average over here too.
NieR: Automata - 90 average
Horizon: Zero Dawn (Dutch developers) - 89 average
Nioh - 87 average

There are still:

Super Mario Odyssey (JPN)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (USA)
Mass Effect Andromeda (CAN)

as the other likely main nominees for 2017 Game of the Year awards.

May 9, 2007
732 posts
181 upvotes
Wow crazy I just noticed that Horizon: Zero Dawn only has an 89 metacritic score! It's getting critically acclaimed by every gamer I've seen and being touted as Sony's next flagship franchise. I had no interest in the game before but now I'm sold!

It's crazy that I still have a bunch of games shrink wrapped since picking up my consoles over the holidays including The Last Guardian especially with BOTW taking up most of my time.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
With Horizon and Zelda keeping me occupied, I'm thinking of cancelling my Amazon Prime pre-order of Persona 5. But I'm not sure if I would be able to grab a physical copy later for a cheaper price later this year. What do you guys think?

The only other Atlus game I played was Catherine for PS3. So I'm not too sure of their stock and how often their games drop in price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
The Persona RPGs are Atlus' best games.

Catherine is a bad game by Atlus' Persona Team standards.
The gameplay of Catherine is very similar to that old puzzle game Q-Bert and the story of Catherine is not very good.
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:55 pm
With Horizon and Zelda keeping me occupied, I'm thinking of cancelling my Amazon Prime pre-order of Persona 5. But I'm not sure if I would be able to grab a physical copy later for a cheaper price later this year. What do you guys think?

The only other Atlus game I played was Catherine for PS3. So I'm not too sure of their stock and how often their games drop in price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7102 posts
659 upvotes
Victoria
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 12:02 am
Notable 2017 exclusives released from January 1st to March 7th so far:
I'm still find it pretty crazy how all Microsoft has is a handful of FPS franchises. It feels to me like this generation is a bit lighter for quality content, but at last Sony keeps putting out the odd single player action/adventure/rpg title. There was a point in the last gen where I had a 360/Wii/Ps3 all at the same time. This generation I've easily been getting by with a ps4 (and pc). I'd buy an Xbox One if there was something to play on it. I find it crazy. I basically didn't use consoles and the dreamcast kind of got be back into a little. Then the original xbox (because of the modding community), and then the xbox 360. I was definitely an Xbox person, but then I bought a ps3 as a bluray player. About halfway through the ps3's lifecycle they started putting out really good titles and I started playing games on it (and less and less on the 360). Sony seems to have taken the ball. I'd like to see MS get on board with more of the games that I'd like to play.