• Mar 22nd, 2017 11:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1566 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
It is interesting how dynamics in the gaming industry change quickly. It's Microsoft, not Nintendo whose future is somewhat murky right now.

My concerns with MS:

- They need a game changing new IP similar to Halo in 2001 and Gears in 2006. Both IPs are past their prime.
- I don't know if having the Xbox One as an extension of the PC is working out for them.
- The Xbox brand thrived with online shooters. It seems like there's been a slight trend away from online shooters over the past year or so.

I will never count out Microsoft though, they are a savvy company.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4688 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:12 pm
- I don't know if having the Xbox One as an extension of the PC is working out for them.
I think it is but there's lots of room to improve. It's certainly the right direction for them and the effort they're making now is better than none at all considering their position and influence in the PC industry. It's changed me from having zero interest in anything related to the Xbox brand to buying Gears 4 on launch and having FH3 on my wishlist. Their biggest issue right now is acknowledging that they're still far behind the competition (Steam, Origin, GOG ect) and need to do better
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4546 posts
547 upvotes
A lot of it comes down to preference, Microsoft still is the place to play if you are into multiplayer games. All though there is lots of great options nowadays Halo 5 I still think is the best multiplayer game to release this generation and Gears of War is still pretty great, they also had Titanfall Exclusivity until recently. PS4 doesnt have any great online multiplayer exclusive games, but people are so busy playing Overwatch, CoD, BF1 that they dont seem to care. Also Microsoft is now the king of the racing genre thanks to the Forza series and Sonys mishandling of Gran Tursimo. I also think EA Access is a huge get for Microsoft, Ive been a subscriber since the day it was announced and I have really got my moneys worth out of that program.

On the other hand Sony is absolutely killing it when it comes to providing diverse single player experiences.
Microsoft really cant hold a candle to things like Bloodbourne, Uncharted, Horizon, and Until Dawn. Also Microsoft has a difficult time courting Japanese games so as a result all the Japanese developers are skipping Microsoft console and Sony has become the only place to play a lot of these games from Japanese developers just as it seems like they are finally starting to hit their stride and make some quality HD games.

I dont see this changing either, there is a philosophical difference between the two companies when it comes to game development and its not something you can just change on a dime.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2842 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 6:32 pm
Microsoft also has billions to attempt what they want.
I feel like MS' money can only get it so far. Last gen, they bought exclusivity to games like Mass Effect and Bioshock, but those eventually made their way to PS3. This time around, they had Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it was only ever gonna be a timed exclusive. Same with Inside.

If MS really wants an exclusive, they'll need to be the ones publishing the game. And while some of their first party developers like Coalition, 343 and Turn 10 are good, Sony seems to have a lot more high quality studios willing to push boundaries in their roster. Quantum Break was ok, but mediocre for an exclusive AAA. Recore flopped. Crackdown 3 seems to be in limbo. MS needs Sea of Thieves to be great, but i have huge doubts.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4361 posts
1154 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:49 am
I feel like MS' money can only get it so far. Last gen, they bought exclusivity to games like Mass Effect and Bioshock, but those eventually made their way to PS3. This time around, they had Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it was only ever gonna be a timed exclusive. Same with Inside.

If MS really wants an exclusive, they'll need to be the ones publishing the game. And while some of their first party developers like Coalition, 343 and Turn 10 are good, Sony seems to have a lot more high quality studios willing to push boundaries in their roster. Quantum Break was ok, but mediocre for an exclusive AAA. Recore flopped. Crackdown 3 seems to be in limbo. MS needs Sea of Thieves to be great, but i have huge doubts.
Unless MS has titles ready to go for Scorpio, most of what's usually announced is releasing in 2018. Scorpio needs to sell like hot cakes out of the gate.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2842 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 1:17 pm
Unless MS has titles ready to go for Scorpio, most of what's usually announced is releasing in 2018. Scorpio needs to sell like hot cakes out of the gate.
I am actually very eager to see if they do have titles to go for launch. I mean, they moved their E3 presentation two days in advance to Sunday, so you would think that they would have something big to announce, outside of just announcing the Scorpio - or so we hope. It was leaked that Middle Earth: Shadows of War would take advantage of Scorpio, and I assume that many upcoming major games will have Scorpio support... but I hope they have more to announce in terms of new IP or imminent projects to justify moving their presentation.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1299 posts
280 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Is there a list somewhere that has EB Games's trade in values for current gen hardware? I have a PS4 and an Xbox One that I'd like to trade towards a PS4 Pro, but tivs.ca doesn't list the current consoles for some reason, and I haven't been able to find anything here. BB is only offering $100 and $85 respectively which is just silly.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel