• Sep 14th, 2017 6:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
Season 1 is really really good, the best Hitman game in years. Unfortunately they bungled the messaging and the ridiculous online requirement hurt them so much in goodwill/PR at launch. To most outsiders it didn't even seem to be content complete long after it actually was. I hope they can still keep working on the franchise but it needs to sell a lot better in the future. SteamSpy has it selling a bit less than Deus Ex Mankind Divided but a lot of those sales were the $15 intro which is counted as the same SKU on Steam.

It's a really interesting freeform Assassination game (Assassin's Creed should be more like this IMO) and deserves to do better but I'm not sure it can ever achieve mass market considering the inherent complexities of its design. Watering it down (Hitman Absolution) just drives away the core fans and doesn't seem to attract many newer ones either. I'm not sure what they can do here except cut the team to the bone and just keep serving their niche.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
Dam thats the fourth big franchise put to bed in the last few months (Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Dishonored and Hitman).

Honestly I didnt enjoy it that much but I hate seeing all these big single player games be one and done on next gen. They are becoming risky investments and I think we are going to see even less of them now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Is it weird that I enjoyed Hitman Absolution when I played it last year lol? I admit I'm not a core fan and I got the game for next to nothing but I went in with low expectations and found it surprisingly enjoyable. I actually meant to give the new Hitman a look after I finished Absolution but the episodic format put me off right away and by the time the entire thing was released I honestly forgot about it. I think the episodic release structure probably hurt it a lot. Who wants to buy a stealth action game in "seasons"? Maybe just finish the game and release it at a decent price when it's ready?
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:24 am
Dam thats the fourth big franchise put to bed in the last few months (Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Dishonored and Hitman).
All 4 suffered from bad launches due to out of touch if not greedy publishers. Blatantly holding back finished content as DLC, intentionally selling games as piece meal installments, poor performance and optimization, clearly unfinished titles that needed months if not years of more work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
Absolution was okay but it simply wasn't a true Hitman game. I think expectations can make all the difference though. The interesting part about the new Hitman is I hated the episodic format before playing it but after giving it a chance I think it fits perfectly. Hitman is all about self contained, non-linear, replayable missions and in those respects its pretty much the ideal game for the format. My initial reaction was basically just a kneejerk that stemmed from the episodic format essentially being a failure across the rest of the industry. I suspect many people had the same reaction as I did. It's a shame because Hitman Season 1 is pretty damned great and now I see the game being an ideal "platform".
All 4 suffered from bad launches due to out of touch if not greedy publishers. Blatantly holding back finished content as DLC, intentionally selling games as piece meal installments, poor performance and optimization, clearly unfinished titles that needed months if not years of more work.
For sure. I would also add sequelitis to that list too. Dishonored was a great game but I didn't want something that derivative so soon. It would've been fine for them to take 4-5 years off and come back with a true sequel that had some new ideas. Same thing with Deus Ex. ME:A shoehorned a pointless open world with no environmental storytelling and so on.
Last edited by Redmask on May 11th, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
This comment thread nails the Hitman issue. This is exactly why so many people haven't purchased it despite it probably be a good game

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... e/dhewv2o/
Redmask wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:52 am
Absolution was okay but it simply wasn't a true Hitman game. I think expectations can make all the difference though. The interesting part about the new Hitman is I hated the episodic format before playing it but after giving it a chance I think it fits perfectly. Hitman is all about self contained, non-linear, replayable missions and in those respects its pretty much the ideal game for the format. My initial reaction was basically just a kneejerk that stemmed from the episodic format essentially being a failure across the rest of the industry. I suspect many people had the same reaction as I did. It's a shame because Hitman Season 1 is pretty damned great and now I see the game being an ideal "platform".
I believe you that the episodic format probably worked better for this game than others but it still makes for a very uncertain confusing purchase that many people will never bother with. It's just far easier and more appealing to spend money and time on a game where you get the complete package in 1 transaction. Look at that thread and how many people intended to buy it but were confused or had no idea when/if the full game was released.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:52 am
This comment thread nails the Hitman issue. This is exactly why so many people haven't purchased it despite it probably be a good game

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... e/dhewv2o/

I believe you that the episodic format probably worked better for this game than others but it still makes for a very uncertain confusing purchase that many people will never bother with. It's just far easier and more appealing to spend money and time on a game where you get the complete package in 1 transaction. Look at that thread and how many people intended to buy it but were confused or had no idea when/if the full game was released.
Oh I don't disagree, I prefer a complete game where I don't think have to think about the purchase and look at stupid charts of things (lol Ubisoft releases). I totally get why people are skeptical, the industry is frankly awful with its DLC practices. The DRM didn't do them any favors either as that comment thread notes, I missed all of that crap at release but I remember hearing all about it.

I think we'll see smaller studio efforts towards singleplayer games in the future and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. ME:A could've been a lot tighter for example and been a better game for it. Sometimes huge production values don't translate into game quality.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:42 am
You could maybe make this case for ME:A (ie launching unfinished) but I dont know about the other three.

I dont think Hitman was trying to do anything "greedy" I think that they were trying to do something new with a concept that worked very well with the way that game. All though I could get on board with the idea that this concept maybe hurt the because it certainly looked unappealing to me from the outset and I didnt jump in until it was on complete and on sale several months later.

Judging from early sales numbers out of UK Prey is going to be one and done as well.
But I really think Bethesda policy on reviews is to blame for this (and possibly dishonored), I think the best approach is to get these games into the hands of reviewers as early as possible and let them discuss the game ad nauseam prior to release.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5858 posts
1229 upvotes
An interesting thread on neogaf on market sizes:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373067

Canada ranks #8 worldwide for Games Revenue despite the small population size of Canada relative to other countries.
Ubisoft, Parts of EA, and parts of Eidos, have game studios located in Canada, so that makes sense.

These revenue estimates exclude money generated from hardware sales.

Those free to play PC MMOs and microtransaction filled games are big in China, which surprisingly places them at #1 in total revenue spent and generated.
On a per capita basis, Japan is the biggest consumer of video games followed by the USA.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:42 am

There is also a "generic" feeling to many of these games. How many times are the same people going to spend time and money on relatively similar experiences.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Watch Dogs 2 was one of my favourite titles that came out last year. I traded in my copy of Watch Dogs 2 during EB's x2 sale, but I recently picked up the Gold Edition during Best Buy's clearance to check out the DLC.

The DLC missions were good, but I was surprised how light the content was. There are 4 story missions and a couple online missions. Ubisoft is charging $53.49 for this season pass! The Gold Edition launched at $100 USD/$120 CDN. Ubisoft later stated that online DLC content is going to be free, due to a dwindling user base.

Only 1.2% of Watch Dog 2 owners beat a single DLC mission on the PS4. That's about the percentage of people that get a Platinum trophy per game. Publishers are not making money, while developers are creating content that is not being played. I don't see this model being sustainable going forward.

I think when the next console cycle hits (PS5, next Xbox), we will see $80 USD/$100-110 CDN games without season passes being the norm.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 12th, 2017 5:27 pm

I think when the next console cycle hits (PS5, next Xbox), we will see $80 USD/$100-110 CDN games without season passes being the norm.
I doubt it, mainly because consumers aren't willing to spend that much on a game even though Id argue its more then worth it.

The traditional DLC model as we have come to know it is dead. The latest trend is Games as a service. The "loot box/card packs" model is one that seems to be working for publishers and I think we'll see more of this shoehorned into more and more games as we move along this generation.

I think we'll see most big name publishers abandon the single player AAA narrative games unless they are tied to some multiplayer mode that could be used to nickle and dime the consumers.

Im hoping we'll see smaller studios pick up the slack and provide us with some single player focused games without the same production levels of those AAA titles.

I just hope it doesnt become like mobile where everything is F2P / P2W, Im okay with this model provided its only for cosmetics but Ive seen some examples of recent AAA titles where the loot box portions are starting to become P2W *cough* Halo Wars 2 * Cough*

I think it will be very telling with what Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed and to a lesser extent Far Cry this fall.
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
May 12th, 2017 6:04 pm
I doubt it, mainly because consumers aren't willing to spend that much on a game even though Id argue its more then worth it.

The traditional DLC model as we have come to know it is dead. The latest trend is Games as a service. The "loot box/card packs" model is one that seems to be working for publishers and I think we'll see more of this shoehorned into more and more games as we move along this generation.

I think we'll see most big name publishers abandon the single player AAA narrative games unless they are tied to some multiplayer mode that could be used to nickle and dime the consumers.

Im hoping we'll see smaller studios pick up the slack and provide us with some single player focused games without the same production levels of those AAA titles.

I just hope it doesnt become like mobile where everything is F2P / P2W, Im okay with this model provided its only for cosmetics but Ive seen some examples of recent AAA titles where the loot box portions are starting to become P2W *cough* Halo Wars 2 * Cough*

I think it will be very telling with what Ubisoft does with Assassins Creed and to a lesser extent Far Cry this fall.
Phil Spencer is that you? I don't see Sony stopping story driven AAA games any time soon. Their entire brand is basically built around those games. If anything Sony is actually light when it comes to online games.
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 12th, 2017 5:27 pm
Watch Dogs 2 was one of my favourite titles that came out last year. I traded in my copy of Watch Dogs 2 during EB's x2 sale, but I recently picked up the Gold Edition during Best Buy's clearance to check out the DLC.

The DLC missions were good, but I was surprised how light the content was. There are 4 story missions and a couple online missions. Ubisoft is charging $53.49 for this season pass! The Gold Edition launched at $100 USD/$120 CDN. Ubisoft later stated that online DLC content is going to be free, due to a dwindling user base.

Only 1.2% of Watch Dog 2 owners beat a single DLC mission on the PS4. That's about the percentage of people that get a Platinum trophy per game. Publishers are not making money, while developers are creating content that is not being played. I don't see this model being sustainable going forward.

Thanks for sharing. WD2 is one of those games I own and was hoping to get into especially before the online community dies down.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5858 posts
1229 upvotes
Square Enix took an extraodrinary loss of 33 Million British Pounds ($44 million USD) on the last Hitman game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... n-in-doubt

I doubt any buyers will step forward to by IO Entertainment off of Square Enix.
As for the series, the main character looks and acts too generic and plain IMO.

I only played the open beta test for the game but I was not that impressed by the first Episode.

heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 11th, 2017 9:34 am
http://kotaku.com/square-enix-splits-wi ... 1795115574

Wonder what this means for the future of the Hitman franchise.

Hitman Season 1 is in my backlog, but I haven't touched it yet.