Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 8:07 pm
Square Enix took an extraodrinary loss of 33 Million British Pounds ($44 million USD) on the last Hitman game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... n-in-doubt

I doubt any buyers will step forward to by IO Entertainment off of Square Enix.
As for the series, the main character looks and acts too generic and plain IMO.

I only played the open beta test for the game but I was not that impressed by the first Episode.
I dunno, Im not expert on this but the money has already been mostly spent to design most of the game and it seems to be one of those series that is trending in the right direction with positive word of mouth and a business plan that was confusing at first but makes a lot of sense to people after they bought into the game.

I think it might actually be a smart pick up IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
Square has a history of weird relationships and expectations with their European studios. I agree with Spicy that Hitman was less successful due to its problematic rollout, much of that probably forced on them by Square-Enix anyway. I remember at the release I had no idea what they were doing, they communicated it very poorly and I felt like it was a ripoff so I just waited until a few months ago.

I remember when they said they were disappointed with Tomb Raider sales despite it moving a ton of copies and overcoming significant franchise fatigue. Meanwhile they spent 10 years making one Final Fantasy game.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3020 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
May 27th, 2017 12:51 am
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/05/26/k ... ears-or-so

Square Enix president states that Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7 remake are coming in the next three years or so. What a bizarre company. Square should just contract out its IPs to other developers. They would get the job done more efficiently.
LOL I know people who had been out of gaming for years but considered grabbing a PS4 because they thought that the FF7 remake was imminent back when they first revealed it two or three years ago... One of them actually bought a PS4.

In "three years or so", we might not even be gaming on PS4 anymore...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4952 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 29th, 2017 11:22 am
LOL I know people who had been out of gaming for years but considered grabbing a PS4 because they thought that the FF7 remake was imminent back when they first revealed it two or three years ago... One of them actually bought a PS4.
I wonder if people who've been out of gaming for years would even enjoy playing a game like FF7 at this point. I tried playing that re-release a few years ago and once the nostalgia wore off the non-stop random encounters got repetitive and annoying real quick. Very interested to see how they handle the combat system in the remake.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1663 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 29th, 2017 11:22 am

In "three years or so", we might not even be gaming on PS4 anymore...
I always find it funny when people do that. I hear it often that people bought a console to play a game that has no release date. A classic one was a lot of people on forums buying PS3s just to play The Last Guardian.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
They're definitely going to retool the combat system to be faster. They're doing the same thing with FFXII Remaster on PS4, its getting a lot of little tweaks and even a second job class.

In terms of the wait yeah that's a long one but I suspect the PS4 will be around for awhile yet, at least as long as the PS2. Most people just got 1080p TVs, there isn't going to be a rush to upgrade to 4k.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4375 posts
233 upvotes
Anyone know a good Dungeon Crawler on PS3 outside of Diablo 3?
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3020 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 11:55 am
I wonder if people who've been out of gaming for years would even enjoy playing a game like FF7 at this point. I tried playing that re-release a few years ago and once the nostalgia wore off the non-stop random encounters got repetitive and annoying real quick. Very interested to see how they handle the combat system in the remake.
On the other hand, these are people who (outside of mobile games) haven't played much current, or even last gen games, so their concept of gaming hasn't really progressed either. I'm sure they'll be blown away by whatever FF7 turns out to be.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
I would prefer if the FF7 Remake used an active time, turn-based combat system that allows you to use all of the party members like the original game.
Modern RPGs like Persona 4/5, XCom 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Bravely Default and Bravely Second all use
some sort of turn based combat systems and are very highly regarded.

As for random battles, in Final Fantasy 7 you can eventually equip Materia that reduces random battles, or eliminates them entirely.
The battle speed can also be changed in the options.

Final Fantasy XV tries to somewhat go real-time but it does not feel as fun since you only really control the one character in the party.
Xenoblade Chronicles X is also somewhat MMO-style real-time but it requires ridiculous amounts of grinding compared to other JRPGs.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
Anyone play Speedrunners? It was the free game given away with XBL Gold this month. Its basically a multiplayer speedrunning game and its quite fun and addicting.
I dont even usually check out this titles but I enjoy speed running type games and this one has me hooked.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
PS4 sales surpass 60.4 million units sold worldwide:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/13/playstat ... llion.html

The last report back in January was 53.4 million units sold through. Therefore 7 million units sold from January to the beginning of June of this year.
The Nintendo Switch is outpacing the PS4 in 2017.

Report from January:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 6b28157b41

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
Crazy, 60 million in 3 and a half years. I think they are getting a bit comfortable right now but so far the exclusive line up is panning out so hard to complain.

I would like to see Sony come to the table on a more open app system and cross-play on titles like Rocket League. Beyond that though I am pretty happy with my PS4. It took them 2 years to polish it up to where it should've been at launch but oh well.
Jun 2, 2012
975 posts
284 upvotes
I'm confused with the numbers... 8 Games Per Owner??