• Oct 20th, 2017 11:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not surprised that Crackdown 3 was delayed again. That game seems to be plagued by problems... wasn't it teased in 2014? The latest footage looks mediocre, and if it looks like that on Xbone X, then that can hurt their pitch for it being the "most powerful console on the market". Gameplay wise, Agents of Mayhem is doing the same thing – and it's not that great either from what I've played so far.

I still like my Xbox, but man, MS has dropped the ball this year software-wise, and are at a disadvantage with number of exclusives, both first party and third party.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
It's never been more evident that Phil Spencer needs to GTFO!

They completely abandoned the OG xbox the second the 360 launched but it was ok because the 360 was great and launched with a great diverse variety of games from RPGs to FPS and of course more Halo. But then it just dried up and became a halo/gears/forza machine with nothing else coming out. Sound familiar? PS3 got The Last of Us as it's swan song and even just recently got Persona 5 nearly ten years after the console launched. What did the 360 get? A whole lot of nothing.

Xbox One started off ok with some good games like Ryse of Rome which I actually really liked a lot and Sunset Overdrive but it wasn't enough considering they were still trying to gain back support from gamers after the always online and kinect debacle. Now they are going to release a new console with no games? 1X can't even do 60fps or native 4k on majority of the games so what's the point? Canadians are really going to be spending $700 for this thing?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 11:55 am
It's never been more evident that Phil Spencer needs to GTFO!

They completely abandoned the OG xbox the second the 360 launched but it was ok because the 360 was great and launched with a great diverse variety of games from RPGs to FPS and of course more Halo. But then it just dried up and became a halo/gears/forza machine with nothing else coming out. Sound familiar? PS3 got The Last of Us as it's swan song and even just recently got Persona 5 nearly ten years after the console launched. What did the 360 get? A whole lot of nothing.

Xbox One started off ok with some good games like Ryse of Rome which I actually really liked a lot and Sunset Overdrive but it wasn't enough considering they were still trying to gain back support from gamers after the always online and kinect debacle. Now they are going to release a new console with no games? 1X can't even do 60fps or native 4k on majority of the games so what's the point? Canadians are really going to be spending $700 for this thing?
TBH, the technical specs and deficiencies are secondary for me, because if a game is good, it doesn't matter if it doesn't sport bleeding edge graphics. What bothers me is the shortsightedness of their software plans. They release decent games like Ryse and Sunset OD as you mentioned, but there seems to be no plans for future potential. They have a great developer like Rare in-house, but talents are wasted on dumb projects like Kinect games or Rare Replay, and only now are they given something interesting to work with in Sea of Thieves. They make all these timed exclusive deals for games like Rise of the Tomb Raider or Dead Rising 4, but don't even seem to capitalize, or are using their money on games that won't really make a dent. Meanwhile, Sony has been killing it with its exclusive deals and first party projects.

Man, PUBG can't come too soon, but I hope they don't botch that too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:32 am
Gameplay wise, Agents of Mayhem is doing the same thing – and it's not that great either from what I've played so far.
Which basically looks like a Saints Row 4 spin off which is almost 5 years old. I'm maybe just burnt out on action hero open world games after playing games like SR4, Infamous, Arkham Knight, Prototype, etc but I can't fathom spending time and money on a game like Crackdown 3 in 2018. It looks about as mechanically interesting as any of those old games I mentioned and the graphics look embarrassing put next to open world Sony exclusives like HZD, the new Spiderman or even Infamous SS which is years old now.
M1GOmigs wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 12:32 pm
Man, PUBG can't come too soon, but I hope they don't botch that too.
That game is still a buggy mess with no actual release date on PC. I'll be surprised if that makes it to X1 in 2018
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4754 posts
609 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:16 pm
That game is still a buggy mess with no actual release date on PC. I'll be surprised if that makes it to X1 in 2018
Xbox has an early access program with free trials, no doubt its launching on that once it gets up on running on XB1.

Microsoft is going to milk this game as much as they can, they have nothing else of note and the game is massive and will no doubt make a big splash on consoles.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:27 pm
Xbox has an early access program with free trials, no doubt its launching on that once it gets up on running on XB1.

Microsoft is going to milk this game as much as they can, they have nothing else of note and the game is massive and will no doubt make a big splash on consoles.
Oh ya I think you told me about this when I was surprised to learn that ARK was on consoles already. I wonder if it'll carry the same $35 price tag or if they'll try to charge the usual $80 full price for it
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4754 posts
609 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
Oh ya I think you told me about this when I was surprised to learn that ARK was on consoles already. I wonder if it'll carry the same $35 price tag or if they'll try to charge the usual $80 full price for it
Well most of the games that launch into that service usually match the price of the PC version, but I guess its possible given the popularity of the game that they might try to gouge everyone or only offer some "deluxe" version with some useless skins ala Overwatch but Im guessing we'll find out soon enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 2:23 pm
Well most of the games that launch into that service usually match the price of the PC version, but I guess its possible given the popularity of the game that they might try to gouge everyone or only offer some "deluxe" version with some useless skins ala Overwatch but Im guessing we'll find out soon enough.
I'm fine spending $40 for an early access game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they charge full price for this.. I mean, precedent has already been set for Fortnite, which was launched on console as a full priced disc and digital game, even though it's technically still early access.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1132 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thoughts on buying a PS4 this late into the life-cycle?
I plan on getting PS5 at launch as I did with my PS4 (it's at my parent's house and my brother uses it and I feel bad taking it away since he's still in school).
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
2009M5 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 9:55 pm
I plan on getting PS5 at launch as I did with my PS4 (it's at my parent's house and my brother uses it and I feel bad taking it away since he's still in school).
Buying a console at the end of it's life cycle is a fantastic idea! The games are cheaper, the console is cheaper and you get access to a full library of games. Tons of remasters so you get the best versions of the big PS3 exclusives in case you missed them. Sony continued to support the PS3 even after the PS4 was launched so you can expect the same level of support for the PS4 when the PS5 comes out which still won't be for a couple of years.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
2009M5 wrote:
I don't think it's too late in the life cycle... you've got a couple years with the PS4 still, so I wouldn't worry. Sony would be dumb to move away from PS4 seeing their huge advantage in install base right now.

And with the PS4 Slim and Pro, plus the original PS4, you've got options at least...

Also, whatever issues they had (rubber on the thumbsticks of PS4 controllers seems to be a main one) have likely been corrected at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
2009M5 wrote:
I finally got one back in April to play a handful of exclusives I was interested in and it was well worth it. The exclusives like Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank are amazing. Haven't played it yet but HZD looks good too. Bundles are on sale for cheap often too. If you haven't played any multiplatform games from the past few years then it'll be even more worth it for you.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
Ahoy mateys!

20,000 more Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha invites rolling out in the next few days. Supposedly 16,000 for Xbox, 4,000 for PC....

If you've signed up as an insider, check here to see if you got one: https://www.seaofthieves.com/account
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1132 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Bryson wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:08 pm
Buying a console at the end of it's life cycle is a fantastic idea! The games are cheaper, the console is cheaper and you get access to a full library of games. Tons of remasters so you get the best versions of the big PS3 exclusives in case you missed them. Sony continued to support the PS3 even after the PS4 was launched so you can expect the same level of support for the PS4 when the PS5 comes out which still won't be for a couple of years.
I plan on getting a PS5 right at launch, no question.
But I was more concerned if getting a PS4 now would be pointless - in case PS5 was right around the corner.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
2009M5 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 9:14 am
I plan on getting a PS5 right at launch, no question.
But I was more concerned if getting a PS4 now would be pointless - in case PS5 was right around the corner.
It's not around the corner. If anything, the release of a PS4 Pro and XBox One X further prolongs this generation of consoles...

... if there even will be console generations anymore, as opposed to just iterative consoles where the older version slowly gets phased out over time...