• Oct 20th, 2017 11:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5870 posts
742 upvotes
Grimsby
Mine are the same ones from the NES classic but I don't have the box in front of me, was an ebay order, I'll look it up when I get home for you.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that to trigger reset.

Did you ever play Seiken Densetu 3? Secret of Mana 3 basically, what an amazing game. Can't wait to put the english translation patched version of that on the SNES classic.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
I played a few hours of the translated SD3 many years ago and got stuck on a boss for being under leveled and kind of gave up on it rather than grind it out. I remember it being pretty good up to that point and after how much I'm enjoying Secret Of Mana right now I'd be down to give it another shot. Secret of Evermore was a great game as well from what I remember. Need to get Illusions of Gaia on this thing as well

This is the bastard I got stuck on in SD3

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4754 posts
609 upvotes
Also picked up a Snes mini over the weekend and honestly its a bit dissapointing. Maybe part of it is I never owned a SNES growing up (unfortunately I only had a SEga) and my exposure to a lot of these games was either through a freinds SNES or via emulator later on in life.

What's up with the controller length? I know its going for the retro thing but it's dam near unusable in my home theatre area. I also wish there was more to this compilation, Rare Replay and Disney Afternoon collection are two recent examples of played that took these retro game collections and added a whole pile of cool extra stuff to them such as unlockable art, video commentary, mini documentaries and such.

I kind of just wish these games were available for sale on the Switch lol. But then again the best part is the actual controller, something about that controller just feels tailor made for these types of games.

Also maybe Im feeling disappointed because I literally put down Cuphead to play these games only to want to go back to Cuphead which is a game that inherits a lot of what makes some of these 2D platformers like Megaman X great except does it much better then a lot of these old school games. Speaking of Cuphead, Im not sure if anyone else has picked it up but that game is incredible, I was a little worried it would be Style over substance but the gameplay is sublime, not for everyone mind you but if your into platforming and extremely challenging games like the Dark Souls series this game is really really good at both of those things and it looks incredible to boot.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5870 posts
742 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm really bogged down with other games and there is a ton coming out in the next month so I think I'll just wait for the inevitable Cuphead GWG or super sale. The art style looks neat and lord knows I need something to play on Xbox One but I think I'll just keep it on backburner for now while I work on other stuff. I have to finish Nioh and Uncharted Lost Legacy before the new game wave lands.

I suggest an extension cable or wireless controller to really enjoy it. The system itself should be hackable inside of a week so you'll be able to add games. Some of Nintendo's choices were very good but there are plenty of notable omissions. I agree about the Switch, I kind of just wish it had VC. That would let me emulate on the go and on my TV as a bonus.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4754 posts
609 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:41 am
I'm really bogged down with other games and there is a ton coming out in the next month so I think I'll just wait for the inevitable Cuphead GWG or super sale. The art style looks neat and lord knows I need something to play on Xbox One but I think I'll just keep it on backburner for now while I work on other stuff. I have to finish Nioh and Uncharted Lost Legacy before the new game wave lands.

I suggest an extension cable or wireless controller to really enjoy it. The system itself should be hackable inside of a week so you'll be able to add games. Some of Nintendo's choices were very good but there are plenty of notable omissions. I agree about the Switch, I kind of just wish it had VC. That would let me emulate on the go and on my TV as a bonus.
I just ordered some extension cords, once this thing becomes hackable I imagine it will be a great way to play old Snes/nes games.

It'd be great to play this on my couch instead of on the floor in front looking up at my TV mounted about my fireplace. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 12:08 pm
I just ordered some extension cords, once this thing becomes hackable I imagine it will be a great way to play old Snes/nes games.

It'd be great to play this on my couch instead of on the floor in front looking up at my TV mounted about my fireplace. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
lol why don't you just put the console on the floor instead so the controller reaches your couch? That's what I did since it's so small and easy enough to unplug and put away when I'm done with it
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4763 posts
1559 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:15 am
Also picked up a Snes mini over the weekend and honestly its a bit dissapointing. Maybe part of it is I never owned a SNES growing up (unfortunately I only had a SEga) and my exposure to a lot of these games was either through a freinds SNES or via emulator later on in life.

What's up with the controller length? I know its going for the retro thing but it's dam near unusable in my home theatre area. I also wish there was more to this compilation, Rare Replay and Disney Afternoon collection are two recent examples of played that took these retro game collections and added a whole pile of cool extra stuff to them such as unlockable art, video commentary, mini documentaries and such.

I kind of just wish these games were available for sale on the Switch lol. But then again the best part is the actual controller, something about that controller just feels tailor made for these types of games.

Also maybe Im feeling disappointed because I literally put down Cuphead to play these games only to want to go back to Cuphead which is a game that inherits a lot of what makes some of these 2D platformers like Megaman X great except does it much better then a lot of these old school games. Speaking of Cuphead, Im not sure if anyone else has picked it up but that game is incredible, I was a little worried it would be Style over substance but the gameplay is sublime, not for everyone mind you but if your into platforming and extremely challenging games like the Dark Souls series this game is really really good at both of those things and it looks incredible to boot.
I picked up Cuphead as well. great game, but super frustrating! I don't think I'll have the patience to finish it, but glad to support the developers anyways.
Redmask wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:41 am

I got to chapter 7/9 for UC Lost Legacy and then traded it in for $30. It started to get repetitive for me...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:05 pm
I got to chapter 7/9 for UC Lost Legacy and then traded it in for $30. It started to get repetitive for me...
Isn't the game only like 8-10 hours long? You were probably near the end. That's next on my PS4 list after HZD but I'm waiting for it to drop to $25-30 because I heard it's pretty short
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4763 posts
1559 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:10 pm
Isn't the game only like 8-10 hours long? You were probably near the end. That's next on my PS4 list after HZD but I'm waiting for it to drop to $25-30 because I heard it's pretty short
Probably close to end...it didn't keep my attention though. I picked up UC Collection awhile back and also need to get UC4 again (traded it in before playing).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5870 posts
742 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm not finding it repetitive at all but to each his own. Yeah it's pretty short ReeGee, I'm near the end. Interested to hear what you think of Horizon, one of the biggest surprises in recent years for me.

I'm burning out on Nioh though, great game but the difficulty makes Dark Souls look like cake and I can only take so much.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4754 posts
609 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 12:59 pm
lol why don't you just put the console on the floor instead so the controller reaches your couch? That's what I did since it's so small and easy enough to unplug and put away when I'm done with it
LOL, I totally would but the HDMI cable is only like 3 feet too which barely covers the distance from my TV to my media stand let alone the floor. I could order a longer HDMI cord, but I figured I would just get the extension cables.
9394 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:05 pm
I picked up Cuphead as well. great game, but super frustrating! I don't think I'll have the patience to finish it, but glad to support the developers anyways.
I imagine there is going to be tons of disappointed people with this game, the artstyle is fun and inviting but the game itself is super punishing and difficult, I could see people giving up without even beating a single boss. Ive was hooked over the weekend, I've beat I think 14 of the 17 bosses and some were easy but others took literally hours of retrying and playing through each section until I mastered everything.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:31 pm
LOL, I totally would but the HDMI cable is only like 3 feet too which barely covers the distance from my TV to my media stand let alone the floor. I could order a longer HDMI cord, but I figured I would just get the extension cables.
wow the included one is that short? I left that in the box as a backup and used an extra 10ft HDMI I had laying around and put the console on an ottoman I pulled up closer to the couch lol. Kind of messy but it'll do for now until I throw in those controller extensions on my next amazon order.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4763 posts
1559 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
I imagine there is going to be tons of disappointed people with this game, the artstyle is fun and inviting but the game itself is super punishing and difficult, I could see people giving up without even beating a single boss. Ive was hooked over the weekend, I've beat I think 14 of the 17 bosses and some were easy but others took literally hours of retrying and playing through each section until I mastered everything.
Umm...yeah, I won't be finishing Cuphead either... Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5169 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
I'm not finding it repetitive at all but to each his own. Yeah it's pretty short ReeGee, I'm near the end. Interested to hear what you think of Horizon, one of the biggest surprises in recent years for me.
Way better than I was expecting and love it so far. Only about a third through the main quest line. Planning to push through the rest this month but I keep getting distracted by other games and now this SNES