• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 12:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5977 posts
1283 upvotes
I have an XBox One X Scorpio Edition pre-ordered but I will mainly be using it as a 4K blu-ray player.
Sony decided not make any PS4s with a 4K Blu-ray movie player drive included therefore getting an XBox One X is really good value for a 4K Blu-ray Player and higher spec video game console in one.
Most standalone single function 4K blu-ray players retail for around $300 - $500 anyway.

Games I have already bought for it are Halo MC Collection, Rise of the Tomb Raider (have it on PC, PS4 and XB1 now), Cuphead, and Sunset Overdrive.

Although the XBox One X is not backwards compatible with some of the XBox 360 games I have.
Tales of Vesperia is a notable popular one that is still not compatible with it yet.
Others made by companies like Konami are not likely to get backwards compatibility either.

May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
Woah woah woah.... neogaf is no more. Done. Kaput. FInito. Terminated. Pretty crazy to think that it closed down overnight. Now I don't know where to go for my gaming news. :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5977 posts
1283 upvotes
Influential games forum NeoGAF is in disarray after a woman accused owner Tyler Malka of sexual misconduct in 2015. In a Facebook post that’s preserved here, the woman — identified by Kotaku as a film director who has worked with Malka — said that he followed her naked into a shower against her wishes while the two were in New Orleans on a road trip. While she initially didn’t name Malka, she followed up with a comment reading “Google Evilore,” which is his NeoGAF handle. Kotaku reports that since then, more than half the site’s moderators have quit, and a number of users have written inflammatory posts in protest, hoping to get themselves banned.
Neogaf forums are back up. It closed down "for maintenance" temporarily
because the site's owner, Evilore, got called out on sexual misconduct allegations.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/165 ... rum-status

Some posters got angry and made topics blasting him over it and Evilore went on a banning spree and deleted any topics that
were about that issue.

Bryson wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 1:16 am
Woah woah woah.... neogaf is no more. Done. Kaput. FInito. Terminated. Pretty crazy to think that it closed down overnight. Now I don't know where to go for my gaming news. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4796 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
I wasn't a fan of NEOgaf's Gaming discussions because every thread had huge overreactions and angry mob like tendencies over typically minor and unproven things. It was a decent place to visit to get the latest news but having conversation there was not enjoyable. I find it incredibly funny and ironic that the board basically imploded on itself due to an angry mob/overreaction to the owner of the site.

I actually did enjoy the OT side of that board though so Im a bit disappointed to see it basically gone.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm sitting on the sidelines for AC: Origins, so if anyone preordered it please post and let us know if its any good.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4796 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 8:38 pm
Not sure how I feel about all this BC talk. I'd much rather play new current games on a new current system.
Maybe its just me because I dont have as much time as I used to to game but there is plenty of new games to play, so many that I really have no need to buy games day one because there is still a bunch of games that I haven't played from late last year/early this year that Im waiting for a deal on.

I enjoy the work MS is doing to preserve its older catalog titles. The engineering they are doing to improve the resolution and visuals of games without touching the original code of the game is very interesting stuff IMO and something I didn't really think was possible.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
Microsoft finally killed Kinect today. To be honest I didn't even know they were still manufacturing it. I know some people around here liked it but personally I was never a fan. To me it's potential was limited to its voice commands and I'm still surprised they refuse to build a mic into the console itself, it would be very cheap. I guess there are privacy concerns there though.

Anyways RIP Kinect. You lead to some of the most cringe worthy E3s and trailers I've ever seen.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
It was amazing for Fruit Ninja and Dance Central imo. Those 2 games were a blast to play with friends. Kinect Adventures was cool for a while too. I feel like I got my $100 worth out of it with those games and it was was a cool optional peripheral but trying to force it into a new console launch was a bad idea. RIP
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:46 pm
It was amazing for Fruit Ninja and Dance Central imo. Those 2 games were a blast to play with friends. Kinect Adventures was cool for a while too. I feel like I got my $100 worth out of it with those games and it was was a cool optional peripheral but trying to force it into a new console launch was a bad idea. RIP
Yeah, the original Kinect for 360 was a good piece of tech with some decent games. Even Kinect Adventures was pretty fun, but it definitely got used a lot for Dance Central 1 and 2. Can't say I tried Xbone Kinect for a lengthy period, and by the time I had moved on to this gen, it wasn't worth the extra cost.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Aug 24, 2011
783 posts
439 upvotes
London
What a year for Nintendo now with how well Mario is being received!

What a year for gaming in general!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
Redmask wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 11:56 am
I'm sitting on the sidelines for AC: Origins, so if anyone preordered it please post and let us know if its any good.
It's getting great reviews. I have a bunch of SDM Optimum points, so I'll grab a copy this weekend.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4796 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Wolfenstein 2 is sitting at 89 on metcritic which is insanely high for a single player on first person shooter in today's market.

Anyone picking this up? Honestly I had mixed feelings about the first one, everything around the story, setting, characters and overall theme was A++ in my book but the gameplay left quite a bit to be desired. Having said that I'm really interested in the sequel now and the high metcritic rating is making it difficult to hold out. I'd love some impressions on if the gameplay has improved from the first one.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 10:52 am
Wolfenstein 2 is sitting at 89 on metcritic which is insanely high for a single player on first person shooter in today's market.

Anyone picking this up? Honestly I had mixed feelings about the first one, everything around the story, setting, characters and overall theme was A++ in my book but the gameplay left quite a bit to be desired. Having said that I'm really interested in the sequel now and the high metcritic rating is making it difficult to hold out. I'd love some impressions on if the gameplay has improved from the first one.
I finally went back to finish the first one a couple of months ago, and I totally agree. Story-wise, this game really surprised me when I was expecting to play a generic shooter. But gameplay-wise, it's several levels below Doom, which was a super tight, fun shooter with good controls and good weapons.

I had this on pre-order at EB at one point just to hold some of my trade in credit, but I eventually moved that money to a SNES Classic. Still contemplating whether to pick it up, but at this point, I might just wait til it drops in price. It's a SP Bethesda game... it'll be on a decent sale in two months.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 10:52 am

I had it preloaded for midnight, took work off today and was up until 4am playing last night. It's basically the first game turned up to 11 and I'm having a blast with it. I'm only a few hours in but the story has a slightly less sappy serious tone with more focus on the over the top characters and situations fueling the action. Not going to spoil it but from the very opening mission you start in a pretty bad ass situation I've never seen in an FPS game before. You also get armed with cool heavy weapons much early. Visuals, performance and sound are absolutely top notch as well. So far it's everything I was hoping it would be
M1GOmigs wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 11:03 am
I finally went back to finish the first one a couple of months ago, and I totally agree. Story-wise, this game really surprised me when I was expecting to play a generic shooter. But gameplay-wise, it's several levels below Doom, which was a super tight, fun shooter with good controls and good weapons.
Interesting, I played through TNO twice and never thought of it as a lesser game than DOOM, just different. DOOM is a wall to wall twitch shooter with hardly any story, scifi weapons, and fantasy demon/alien enemies. TNO on the other hand was a more realistic gritty story driven game with gameplay kind of in between COD and DOOM, not quite a corridor shooter but not a fast paced twitch shooter either. I think they're both the best at what they do and it's worth noting that TNO predates DOOM by 2 years which I think set the bar and stage for DOOM to turn out as good as it did
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:38 pm
Interesting, I played through TNO twice and never thought of it as a lesser game than DOOM, just different. DOOM is a wall to wall twitch shooter with hardly any story, scifi weapons, and fantasy demon/alien enemies. TNO on the other hand was a more realistic gritty story driven game with gameplay kind of in between COD and DOOM, not quite a corridor shooter but not a fast paced twitch shooter either. I think they're both the best at what they do and it's worth noting that TNO predates DOOM by 2 years which I think set the bar and stage for DOOM to turn out as good as it did
DOOM is the closest comparison and I think the devs learned a lot from TNO when building DOOM... but I stand by my assertion. The stealth in TNO was ok, but sometimes janky, the weapon handling seemed a bit too floaty and at times kind of missing that "oomph", and dual wielding was a joyless experience that I only did because I wanted to get the perks. Movement also felt a bit too loose for my liking. Contrast that with Doom which had appropriately gritty and weighty feeling weapons, and a nice flow to the combat. I'm just hoping that TNO devs would adapt some of the feel of DOOM's gunplay into the sequel.

Also, I'm playing on console with a controller, so some of the gun 'feel' might be different from your experience as a keyboard/mouse user...