None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 2:42 pm
DOOM is the closest comparison and I think the devs learned a lot from TNO when building DOOM... but I stand by my assertion. The stealth in TNO was ok, but sometimes janky, the weapon handling seemed a bit too floaty and at times kind of missing that "oomph", and dual wielding was a joyless experience that I only did because I wanted to get the perks. Movement also felt a bit too loose for my liking. Contrast that with Doom which had appropriately gritty and weighty feeling weapons, and a nice flow to the combat. I'm just hoping that TNO devs would adapt some of the feel of DOOM's gunplay into the sequel.

Also, I'm playing on console with a controller, so some of the gun 'feel' might be different from your experience as a keyboard/mouse user...
I actually played TNO and TOB with a controller and only played DOOM with kb/m because of its way more frantic twitchy pace. Maybe that's why I never drew any comparisons in feeling between the two and I thought TNO felt as good or better than any other gamepad shooter I had played around that time. So far there's been no similarity or hint of influence from DOOM and it's basically a more refined and over the top version of TNO. I can't remember if TNO had this but there's a button to lean and peak from behind cover which should tell you how different the pace is from DOOM where taking cover was not necessary
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 3:14 pm
I actually played TNO and TOB with a controller and only played DOOM with kb/m because of its way more frantic twitchy pace. Maybe that's why I never drew any comparisons in feeling between the two and I thought TNO felt as good or better than any other gamepad shooter I had played around that time. So far there's been no similarity or hint of influence from DOOM and it's basically a more refined and over the top version of TNO. I can't remember if TNO had this but there's a button to lean and peak from behind cover which should tell you how different the pace is from DOOM where taking cover was not necessary
Yeah, TNO had the lean button too, but I only ever used it because there was a perk associated with getting kills from behind cover or something...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
OK I take back what I said about there being no influence from DOOM because things have heated up fast and there's definitely more emphasis on cool heavy weapons and aggressively pushing forward like badass. It does seem a lot harder though and you're not a bullet sponge like Doomguy. I've already died a bunch of times on Normal Bring Em On difficulty because the enemies rip through armor and health very quickly when you're not taking cover

Overall this game is spectacular so far and I probably haven't got to the really good stuff yet
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4888 posts
1727 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 4:29 pm
OK I take back what I said about there being no influence from DOOM because things have heated up fast and there's definitely more emphasis on cool heavy weapons and aggressively pushing forward like badass. It does seem a lot harder though and you're not a bullet sponge like Doomguy. I've already died a bunch of times on Normal Bring Em On difficulty because the enemies rip through armor and health very quickly when you're not taking cover

Overall this game is spectacular so far and I probably haven't got to the really good stuff yet
I don't think it was part of the $50 E3 promo right?
Aug 24, 2011
764 posts
420 upvotes
London
Just got a switch and as a Ps4/pc guy, this thing is a great compliment.

Loving mario!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4888 posts
1727 upvotes
Since traded in my Xbox One, I downloaded The Last of Us Remastered. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it before Nov 7.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 11:14 am
sorry I don't know about that as I don't typically do preorders. This was a rare exception and I just bought it earlier this week
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 12:37 pm
Just got a switch and as a Ps4/pc guy, this thing is a great compliment.

Loving mario!
Damn same here, I know I'd love Odyssey but it's still quite expensive for just one game. Still getting a ton of mileage out of my WiiU in the meanwhile which was also a great sidekick to PC gaming. If Xenoblade 2 ends up being as good as I'm hoping then I'll probably grab one next year
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
There's an absolutely incredible plot development about 6-7 hours into Wolfenstein 2 that's the kind of thing people will be talking about for years. Be careful watching videos or reading discussions online if you don't want it spoiled. At this point this game blows DOOM out of the water for me because the story and setting and I'm a much bigger fan of the brutal realistic violence compared to DOOM's cartoony violence.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 11:14 am
I don't think it was, otherwise I would've preordered it too...

So tempted to grab it now after reading @ReeGee gush over this. And he LOVED Doom as much as many of us did too!

BTW, who did you all pick to live in the first game?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:44 pm

So tempted to grab it now after reading @ReeGee gush over this. And he LOVED Doom as much as many of us did too!

It's so so good. I haven't played many new releases this year but I'm enjoying it as much or more than BOTW and HZD. Obviously isn't as long as those games but single player shooters don't get much better than this.

I played through TNO with both choices and will probably do the same here. You get to choose again at the start of this game during the recap at the beginning. I went with Wyatt for first playthrough again in this game
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4789 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:44 pm

The old dude lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5968 posts
1272 upvotes
The Last of Us II's new trailer just revealed at Paris Games Week:

Sucker Punch (behind the inFamous series) finally revealed the new IP they have been working on since Infamous SS.
Surprisingly, it is an action game based on feudal Japan (Sucker Punch is a U.S. based developer):

Ghost of Tsushima:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Oct 30th, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10149 posts
701 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins since Saturday and it's pretty awesome so far. The depiction of Ancient Egypt is stunning.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5928 posts
774 upvotes
Grimsby
New Sucker Punch game, nice. Last of Us II trailer is brutal in terms of the violence and vague, kinda confused but have faith in Naughty Dog.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4888 posts
1727 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:58 pm
I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins since Saturday and it's pretty awesome so far. The depiction of Ancient Egypt is stunning.
Argh...so many games coming out now...no time to play. CoD coming out this week, then SW:BF2 in a couple of more weeks.

Wondering if I should just sell Ass Creed...