None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:10 am
Despite the PS3s terrible start which many predicted was going to bankrupt Sony, it still managed to sell as many units as the 360.
PS2 was a beast but Gamecube doesn't get a enough love. My favorite console of that generation. Soooo many good games!
The PS3 saved its terrible start by releasing really good exclusives. I did most of my gaming on 360 last gen but still got a PS3 because of the top notch exclusives. Lack of interesting exclusives is why I will most likely never buy an X1. The play anywhere program is sweet but even if that didn't exist I wouldn't buy their hardware for what's available currently.
I didn't get around to playing Gamecube games until the Wii. Great exclusives on both of those consoles as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5928 posts
774 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:34 am
The PS3 saved its terrible start by releasing really good exclusives. I did most of my gaming on 360 last gen but still got a PS3 because of the top notch exclusives. Lack of interesting exclusives is why I will most likely never buy an X1. The play anywhere program is sweet but even if that didn't exist I wouldn't buy their hardware for what's available currently.
I didn't get around to playing Gamecube games until the Wii. Great exclusives on both of those consoles as well.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. At the generational shift hardware was important, a lot of games were poorly optimized and the old consoles struggled to even maintain 720p. It's all different now, graphically games are pretty outstanding and I rarely play a PS4 or XB1 game where framerate or etc bother me anymore. So the One X is cool but its expensive and the prospect of just playing the same games isn't terribly exciting. I just want cool exclusive games I can't get anywhere else and Microsoft is really bereft on that front. Not very happy with exclusive output under Shannon Loftis.

Sony and Nintendo both have their flaws and neither console is perfect, far from it. But they continually give me compelling games I can't get anywhere else which is what matters. Third party stuff is just a bonus, I buy consoles for the exclusives.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5259 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:42 am
Yeah I'm in the same boat. At the generational shift hardware was important, a lot of games were poorly optimized and the old consoles struggled to even maintain 720p. It's all different now, graphically games are pretty outstanding and I rarely play a PS4 or XB1 game where framerate or etc bother me anymore. So the One X is cool but its expensive and the prospect of just playing the same games isn't terribly exciting. I just want cool exclusive games I can't get anywhere else and Microsoft is really bereft on that front. Not very happy with exclusive output under Shannon Loftis.

Sony and Nintendo both have their flaws and neither console is perfect, far from it. But they continually give me compelling games I can't get anywhere else which is what matters. Third party stuff is just a bonus, I buy consoles for the exclusives.
Where do they even go from here with exclusives? Unless I missed something there's nothing remarkable slated for 2018, and anything big they announce now would be coming out when, 2019-2020? I don't really see myself buying an Xbox that late in the generation regardless of exclusives. It would be too little too late. It seems like the only value in it is for people who use it primarily for multi platform games.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5928 posts
774 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I don't know what their plan was or if they even had one. The upcoming schedule is pretty depressing but I guess there could be stuff we don't know about. It just seems far fetched these days, most games usually need a full marketing cycle including pre-release and trade shows to build up a potential audience.

So yeah I don't know. Halo 6? Gears whatever? Forza Horizon 4 and etc I guess? They're in a weird spot. They have a lot of valuable IP or access to it but just don't seem to have any real in-house or partnership capability to actually bring it to market. I think Loftis has been terrible for that division while Spencer has been pretty good.
Aug 24, 2011
764 posts
420 upvotes
London
Bryson wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 11:10 am
Easy... simple answer is Xbox 360 had better games, better hardware and was cheaper. Fast forward to PS4 vs Xbox One... PS4 has better games, better hardware and is cheaper. Despite the PS3s terrible start which many predicted was going to bankrupt Sony, it still managed to sell as many units as the 360.

PS2 was a beast but Gamecube doesn't get a enough love. My favorite console of that generation. Soooo many good games!
Disagreed with 360. While PS3 was more expensive and started off slow, in the end, it had the better library of exclusive games and hardware wise, showcased more graphically. Microsoft virtually abandoned the 360 while propping up Kinect meanwhile Sony was still releasing quality exclusives in the latter part of the generation. This allowed them to catch up to the 360 in sales despite being released a year later.
Aug 17, 2003
687 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Best deal on a Xbox One S or a PS4 - Looking at xbox one s - costco (promo $70 plus second controller) for $300 or SDM using a seniors discount on a Thursday?

I was thinking going Xbox One S because it is cheaper than the PS4 Pro, has 4k blu-ray, and 4k streaming. Not much of a gamer but have young kids. This is going to for casual gaming - some EA games mainly.

I get that PS4 seems to be winning the war but for our needs (4k content) seems like the One S is a better call. Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Lord Denning wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:13 pm
Best deal on a Xbox One S or a PS4 - Looking at xbox one s - costco (promo $70 plus second controller) for $300 or SDM using a seniors discount on a Thursday?

I was thinking going Xbox One S because it is cheaper than the PS4 Pro, has 4k blu-ray, and 4k streaming. Not much of a gamer but have young kids. This is going to for casual gaming - some EA games mainly.

I get that PS4 seems to be winning the war but for our needs (4k content) seems like the One S is a better call. Thoughts?
Yes, grab the One S. Aside from the 4k bluray, You also mention you like EA games... Xbox One has EA Access, which is a subscription based service that gives you access to free EA games for about $30 a year.

Your kids might appreciate games like Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1&2, Unravel, Bejeweled, Peggle, etc... but there's also a bunch of Sports games, shooters like Battlefield 1 and Titanfall and Star Wars Battlefront, Mass Effect and lots more that you might enjoy too.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1353 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Lord Denning wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:13 pm
I think EB Games has a pretty good deal. $320+ tax. But comes with 2 games + headset. You can probably sell each game for $50+

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/eb-game ... t-2139390/
May 9, 2007
794 posts
212 upvotes
What I've been playing lately:

Played through both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I liked them so much I got all of the achievements including the DLC. I started STFU 1 on my xbox 360 but it had really bad and noticeable screen tearing so I played it on the XOne since it's backwards compatible and it ran great. The second one had some glitch with missing textures where the textures were black so I played that one on the 360 and it ran fine.

Played through Gravity Rush Remastered on the PS4 Pro and really liked that one too. Got all of the trophies. I liked it so much I really wish the sequel would go on sale so I can play it. Maybe for Black Friday? Shame these games sold so poorly. Highly unlikely that we see a third one since Sony are already closing the online servers for GR2 and the game only came out last year.

Still playing through Uncharted and Last of Us Remasters as in between games as time permits.

Picked up Quantum Break last night. Only $15can this week from MS. For some reason it's even cheaper than the american version!? Really liking it a lot so far. Playing through on hard difficulty. I love stories dealing with the space time continuum and the powers make you feel really badass and powerful. Kind of makes you feel like you're playing a biotic in Mass Effect. Graphically the game looks good on the XOne but looking at some comparisons of QB running at 4K on the XB1X is jawdropping. It's so much sharper while on standard XOne it looks kind of blurry. XB1X looks even better than PC, probably because of the 4K textures although PC runs at 60fps if you have a powerful enough PC while even XB1X is only 30fps since it's a very demanding game. First game so far that makes want to buy a XB1X. Games are just going to look AMAZING on this new console. Just be ready to buy a bigger harddrive. Quantum Break is 45gigs+75gb for the videos+50gb for the 4K textures=170gb! Ouch lol!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:36 pm
Played through both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I liked them so much I got all of the achievements including the DLC. I started STFU 1 on my xbox 360 but it had really bad and noticeable screen tearing
I just had to point out the awesome Freudian slip typo Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. I've done that too actually.

All fine games... Shame that Quantum Break didn't do better, as it had promise. I loved Alan Wake, but I wonder where Remedy goes from here. If MS was smart, they would try to buy that studio. They're lagging so far behind their first party studios compared to Sony and if they want the exclusives, they can't rely on 3rd parties to give them those.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4888 posts
1727 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:36 pm
What I've been playing lately:

Played through both Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I liked them so much I got all of the achievements including the DLC. I started STFU 1 on my xbox 360 but it had really bad and noticeable screen tearing so I played it on the XOne since it's backwards compatible and it ran great. The second one had some glitch with missing textures where the textures were black so I played that one on the 360 and it ran fine.

Played through Gravity Rush Remastered on the PS4 Pro and really liked that one too. Got all of the trophies. I liked it so much I really wish the sequel would go on sale so I can play it. Maybe for Black Friday? Shame these games sold so poorly. Highly unlikely that we see a third one since Sony are already closing the online servers for GR2 and the game only came out last year.

Still playing through Uncharted and Last of Us Remasters as in between games as time permits.

Picked up Quantum Break last night. Only $15can this week from MS. For some reason it's even cheaper than the american version!? Really liking it a lot so far. Playing through on hard difficulty. I love stories dealing with the space time continuum and the powers make you feel really badass and powerful. Kind of makes you feel like you're playing a biotic in Mass Effect. Graphically the game looks good on the XOne but looking at some comparisons of QB running at 4K on the XB1X is jawdropping. It's so much sharper while on standard XOne it looks kind of blurry. XB1X looks even better than PC, probably because of the 4K textures although PC runs at 60fps if you have a powerful enough PC while even XB1X is only 30fps since it's a very demanding game. First game so far that makes want to buy a XB1X. Games are just going to look AMAZING on this new console. Just be ready to buy a bigger harddrive. Quantum Break is 45gigs+75gb for the videos+50gb for the 4K textures=170gb! Ouch lol!
MS should have shipped the X with a 2TB drive...and an elite controller. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4789 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Anyone check out the new battlefront on ea access? Played the first couple of missions and the campaign seems really cool but the gameplay is your typical bland dice shooting gallery, not quite sure what to make of it. The multiplayer is a lot more fun this time around with clear, concise objectives and no random coins. Also the game is really pretty even at the muddy resolution on Xbox one, this is one game that really makes me clamor for an upgrade Sku.

I'll probably pick this one up.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:52 am
Anyone check out the new battlefront on ea access? Played the first couple of missions and the campaign seems really cool but the gameplay is your typical bland dice shooting gallery, not quite sure what to make of it. The multiplayer is a lot more fun this time around with clear, concise objectives and no random coins. Also the game is really pretty even at the muddy resolution on Xbox one, this is one game that really makes me clamor for an upgrade Sku.

I'll probably pick this one up.
Played the MP beta and I really liked the space dogfighting. The on the ground level they had was a bit disappointing though, but I'm glad they got rid of the power pickups and are just using in-game points to call in special characters/vehicles/heroes instead.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14222 posts
3145 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:20 am
MS should have shipped the X with a 2TB drive...and an elite controller. Face With Tears Of Joy
After watching a tear down on YouTube it wouldn't be too hard to replace the existing hard drive with a bigger one or an SSD. It you were technically inclined that is. Otherwise, what's wrong with using an external hard drive? Mine is hidden behind the Xbox so no one would ever see it. It's also faster than the 5400rpm drives you typically find in these devices...

Once I have my X, I will be swapping the drive between that and my S depending on where in the house I want to play. Makes it simpler than downloading the game twice...
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4888 posts
1727 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:48 pm
After watching a tear down on YouTube it wouldn't be too hard to replace the existing hard drive with a bigger one or an SSD. It you were technically inclined that is. Otherwise, what's wrong with using an external hard drive? Mine is hidden behind the Xbox so no one would ever see it. It's also faster than the 5400rpm drives you typically find in these devices...

Once I have my X, I will be swapping the drive between that and my S depending on where in the house I want to play. Makes it simpler than downloading the game twice...
Nothing wrong with an external HD. I have a 1TB drive attached to my X. MS should have known that 4k assets would fill up a HD in no time. Plus, it's not like it's a substantial increase in price for them (assuming since they buy in bulk).