• Nov 17th, 2017 12:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I have to agree with 9394, 1TB fills up shockingly fast on the Xbox One S, let alone with the X with 4k assets. I was looking at my buddy's X setup last night and he has like 4 games installed, its already over half of the available 700GB space! Externals are OK but its another annoying thing to have hanging around in the entertainment center where space/aesthetics are the limiting factors.

I have to do a side by side comparison sometime but I would swear that game install sizes even on some third party titles are larger on the Xbox One S vs the PS4. I'm not sure why that is, I remember they used a different patching system this gen but I thought they changed that awhile ago.
May 9, 2007
792 posts
208 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:44 am
Yeah I have to agree with 9394, 1TB fills up shockingly fast on the Xbox One S, let alone with the X with 4k assets. I was looking at my buddy's X setup last night and he has like 4 games installed, its already over half of the available 700GB space! Externals are OK but its another annoying thing to have hanging around in the entertainment center where space/aesthetics are the limiting factors.

I have to do a side by side comparison sometime but I would swear that game install sizes even on some third party titles are larger on the Xbox One S vs the PS4. I'm not sure why that is, I remember they used a different patching system this gen but I thought they changed that awhile ago.
I am fine with the 1tb in the X especially if it means MS will tack on another $100 for an extra tb on the price of the console. I'd rather have the option to upgrade the drive myself or use my existing 2tb portable external WD drive which takes up hardly any space and no extra powerbrick. I am really curious what MS profit margin is on this console. Most of the parts are just basically last gen parts but overclocked higher. Not sure if that justifies a substantial price increase over something say like the PS4 Pro.

Load times on the X are substantially faster than on the One. Anywhere from 2-4x faster! That's huge! I know that early hype from the scorio dev team hinted that the harddrive would be faster but really it's just a 5400rpm seagate drive. The increased speed must be coming from the extra/faster memory and CPU and the fact that the drive is sata 3 vs sata 2 on the One.

Also they have been looking at ways to shrink the footprint of installed games like the ability to download only the SP or MP portions of the game and only specific languages instead of the whole language pack which takes up a ton of space Stuff like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4883 posts
1725 upvotes
Anyone been playing Super Lucky's Tale? I've been really enjoying it and quite the change of pace from CoD. Plus it was only $40 too!

Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4883 posts
1725 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:37 am
I am fine with the 1tb in the X especially if it means MS will tack on another $100 for an extra tb on the price of the console. I'd rather have the option to upgrade the drive myself or use my existing 2tb portable external WD drive which takes up hardly any space and no extra powerbrick. I am really curious what MS profit margin is on this console. Most of the parts are just basically last gen parts but overclocked higher. Not sure if that justifies a substantial price increase over something say like the PS4 Pro.

Load times on the X are substantially faster than on the One. Anywhere from 2-4x faster! That's huge! I know that early hype from the scorio dev team hinted that the harddrive would be faster but really it's just a 5400rpm seagate drive. The increased speed must be coming from the extra/faster memory and CPU and the fact that the drive is sata 3 vs sata 2 on the One.

Also they have been looking at ways to shrink the footprint of installed games like the ability to download only the SP or MP portions of the game and only specific languages instead of the whole language pack which takes up a ton of space Stuff like that.
Mark my words, there will be an Elite SKU with an elite controller and a 2TB HDD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5962 posts
1269 upvotes
The Game Awards 2017 announced their nominees:

Full list of categories: http://thegameawards.com/awards/
December 7th, 2017, 8:30 PM EST. https://www.youtube.com/thegameawards

2017 Game of the Year Category:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)
- Persona 5 (Playstation 4)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (Playstation 4)
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PC, XBox One in December)

Most nominated games:

6 nominations in various categories:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
- Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XB1)

5 nominations in various categories:
- Cuphead (XB1, PC)

4 nominations in various categories:
- Persona 5 (PS4)
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XB1)

3 nominations in various categories:
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PC, XB1 in December)
- NieR: Automata (PS4, PC)
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4, XB1)

Also:
Devil May Cry 5 and Soul Calibur 6 are expected to be announced at Playstation Experience according to a rumored leak.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 14th, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5254 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
lmao @ a buggy janky as hell Early access game being a GOTY nominee. I don't have any interest or expectations from that obviously paid advertisement of a show but just wow Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3185 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:56 am
lmao @ a buggy janky as hell Early access game being a GOTY nominee. I don't have any interest or expectations from that obviously paid advertisement of a show but just wow Face With Tears Of Joy
I think that's why PUBG announced they're leaving Early Access this year - so that they can be included in considerations for GOTY, especially during a year where they absolutely killed it out of nowhere.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5962 posts
1269 upvotes
I guess they put PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds as a nominee because it is the new current trending PC game.
PUBG is the most played game on Steam by a large margin. It even broke through to China and Korea and is the most popular game over there to the point
where the Chinese government wants to ban it.

Over 2.5 million players simultaneously playing it at the same time on Steam and 16.8 million different players in the past 48 hours.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:56 am

The compromise is the significant amounts of lag playing PUBG with Chinese players that have bad internet connections.
ROW = Rest of the World

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 14th, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5254 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
ya i'm not questioning its popularity but when you look at the general state of that game then consider the other complete polished highly rated games that should've taken that spot it looks like blatant paid advertising
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I tend to agree with ReeGee, that game is not finished and shouldn't be included. It's obviously there just because its such a phenomenon right now and fair enough. Breath of the Wild or Horizon should win though IMO :)

I am just starting Mario Odyssey though so perhaps I will change my mind.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5962 posts
1269 upvotes
The first game I am playing through on XBox One X is Cuphead.

The game is not that difficult. I would recommend remapping the dodge button from Y to the Left Bumper, that way you do not have to play
finger twister every time you need to dash or dodge out of the way.

Some aspects I do not like about the XBox One X:
- games still install slowly from disc, (on PS4 games install from disk in less than a minute and a playable almost right away)
- Too many advertisements in the Xbox One dashboard, and the games section is not at the forefront immediately after powering it on.

I am still primarily playing Super Mario Odyssey on the Nintendo Switch and in between some of the recent games
I had pre-ordered and just received.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5254 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:49 pm
The first game I am playing through on XBox One X is Cuphead.
I love that you bought a $700 console to first and foremost play a $20 2D indie platformer.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4883 posts
1725 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 1:27 pm
I love that you bought a $700 console to first and foremost play a $20 2D indie platformer.
Hey, it's $25CDN. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
To be fair to XFactor, its pretty much that, Forza or Super Lucky's Tale. I think he made the right choice :)

HEY-OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In all seriousness though AC:O looks pretty baller on the one X.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4787 posts
616 upvotes
calgary
The default controls on cuphead are bunk, I'm amazed they made such a tightly designed platformer and left the jump and dash on the face buttons. I mapped my jump and dash to my bumpers on my elite after the first couple bosses.

And sure the game isn't that difficult once you recognize all the stages of all the boss patterns and then perform to perfection but there is a lot of trial and error to get to that point.