None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5070 posts
750 upvotes
calgary
Bryson wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 6:19 pm
Do you mean the sequel Shadow of War by any chance? If so, the X is the superior experience as it was optimized for that console. Shadow of War offers true 4K resolution (twice the resolution of PS4 Pro), longer draw distance and 4K textures while the PS4 Pro, PS4 and Xbox One use low quality textures that look like last gen assets. This title actually looks next gen on the X when compared to the PS4 Pro.

If you're talking about Shadow of Mordor, there's a PS4 Pro patch which offers true native 4K, 4x the resolution over the base PS4 however strangely no 4K patch for the xbox console.
Sorry yeah I meant shadows of war.

Also apparently it was just added to the ongoing xbox live sale and can be had for 40% off.
Aug 20, 2009
6804 posts
1520 upvotes
Grimsby
I feel like I had my fill of that game with Shadow of Mordor, not sure I want to revisit the formula to be honest. Maybe I'll check it out down the line when my backlog clears a bit.

Still having a blast with AC:O. One beef though, just as the story was getting going they stop to interrupt you with modern story segments. I've never liked the modern story aspect and feel like it ruins the pacing of the games, I wish they would just drop it at some point. On the flipside I like that they learned from Witcher 3 here and that most sidequests have some flavor to them. The hud/compass get a bit busy for my taste but thankfully they give you some customization options.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1120 posts
303 upvotes
So I had no idea Need for Speed Payback was also infested with this pay for online advantages garbage. Whatever happened to difference between winning and losing is a players skill not their wallet? Seems like not many people talking about it because NFS is not as popular as Starwars but EA has recently toned down the microtransactions in that game also due to the backlash and poor sales. SWBF2 sales are down 60% compared to the first games launch week.

CD Projekt Red was recently asked about the inclusion of multiplayer in their next upcoming game and took a dig at EA:

Savage! If for some reason you haven't bought The Witcher 3 yet, go out and support this company now!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6320 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
Damn Uncharted Lost Legacy is amazing. I'm on chapter 4 and this huge open area is way more than I was expecting out of this expansion. Playing as Chloe instead of Drake works surprisingly well too. So happy this went on sale so soon.

Random question but do you guys use any image processing on your TV's to help with console games? I find the "motionflow" feature (not to be confused with "cinemotion" full frame interpolation) on Sony TVs really helps with 30fps games. It's a subtle effect that makes panning at low framerates much easier on the eyes with next to no input lag, at least no more noticeable than 30fps has to begin with. I've been playing Horizon and Uncharted with that on and its much better than without imo
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5070 posts
750 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 6:41 pm
Damn Uncharted Lost Legacy is amazing. I'm on chapter 4 and this huge open area is way more than I was expecting out of this expansion. Playing as Chloe instead of Drake works surprisingly well too. So happy this went on sale so soon.

Random question but do you guys use any image processing on your TV's to help with console games? I find the "motionflow" feature (not to be confused with "cinemotion" full frame interpolation) on Sony TVs really helps with 30fps games. It's a subtle effect that makes panning at low framerates much easier on the eyes with next to no input lag, at least no more noticeable than 30fps has to begin with. I've been playing Horizon and Uncharted with that on and its much better than without imo
I had that on my last TV and hated it, it introduced a bunch of artifacting when things moved quickly and also drastically increased the input lag. It gave my movies/shows a Wierd soap opera effect, Thst I thought looked kind of cool though but I really disliked it for gaming. That was a Samsung tv though and I know that Sony has better software in their tv's.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Nov 23rd, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 9, 2017
30 posts
11 upvotes
Hi Guys I just got a ps4 together with my girlfriend. Are there any good couch co-op games for the ps4? I was looking at rainbow six siege but then saw that there is only online co-op for the terrorist hunt mode. I remember for rainbow six vegas on the ps3 splitscreen co-op :(
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5070 posts
750 upvotes
calgary
jorralee wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 7:18 pm
Hi Guys I just got a ps4 together with my girlfriend. Are there any good couch co-op games for the ps4? I was looking at rainbow six siege but then saw that there is only online co-op for the terrorist hunt mode. I remember for rainbow six vegas on the ps3 splitscreen co-op :(
Overcooked.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6320 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 7:14 pm
I had that on my last TV and hated it, it introduced a bunch of artifacting when things moved quickly and also drastically increased the input lag. It gave my movies/shows a Wierd soap opera effect, Thst I thought looked kind of cool though but I really disliked it for gaming. That was a Samsung tv though and I know that Sony has better software in their tv's.
What you're talking about that causes artifacting and soap opera effect is what they call "cinemotion" on Sony TVs and that's a completely different thing from Motionflow which is absolutely horrible for most things and introduces a ton of noticable input lag for gaming. "Motionflow" is a much more subtle effect that only smooths out fast panning and doesn't try to interpolate frames or cause artifacts and lag. It's not a big difference or necessary in 60fps games but makes a huge difference at 30fps to me
I have a newer Samsung Smart TV as well but I don't game on it and haven't looked if it separates them the same way as Sony
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6755 posts
1686 upvotes
The Game Mode picture setting on TVs is supposed to have the lowest input lag out of all the picture settings on all TVs.

If you are playing video games on a TV or TV picture mode that has more than 60 ms of input lag then it will probably be more noticeable
and it may have image ghosting or increased motion blurring.

Most TVs have different amounts of input lag for each picture setting.

I use this TV: LG C7 OLED, which has 21 ms of input lag which is very good for a TV.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Here are some other recommended TVs that have low input lag for Video Games:
https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-l ... by-gamers/

My other consoles that I keep next to my desktop PC for video or screenshot recording purposes are connected to a BenQ competitive gaming PC monitor
that has 1 ms of input lag or the Sony Playstation 3D display I use as an extra PC monitor.

https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-Console-eSpo ... ng+monitor
https://www.amazon.ca/PlayStation-3D-Di ... 3d+display

I prefer playing video games on the TV in the living room because the picture image quality is immensely better than on the gaming PC or 3D display.
The gaming monitor has no input lag but its colours are dull and washed out even compared to my older Sony HD TV from 9 years ago (KDL-46) or the 3D display.
The sound quality on the BenQ gaming PC monitor's speakers is awful too, which makes using external speakers necessary when using that monitor.

ReeGee wrote:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 24th, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5390 posts
2384 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:

Wow...you sure you don't have stock in ND or Sony? Face With Tears Of Joy I wouldn't call it amazing, but it was fun until it became repetitive.
Aug 20, 2009
6804 posts
1520 upvotes
Grimsby
Dude you were stumping for Super Lucky's Tale with a straight face, Uncharted Lost Legacy has its problems but its not a huge reach :) I don't know if I would call it amazing but I would certainly say overall it was very good.

ReeGee, I don't use any of that motion handling crap because its really inconsistent from game to game and I find it annoying to constantly tinker with settings.

My LG OLED remembers settings per input which is nice so I just set everything up on Game then my HDR Game mode stuff. Most of those settings are just turning off LGs weird crap lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6320 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 9:14 am
Dude you were stumping for Super Lucky's Tale with a straight face, Uncharted Lost Legacy has its problems but its not a huge reach :) I don't know if I would call it amazing but I would certainly say overall it was very good.
I was mostly referring to the visuals when I said it's amazing which may be an overstatement for gameplay but I've generally always enjoyed Uncharted gameplay and this seems like more of the same so far. I'm just used to watching my friends play meh looking muliplatform games on both consoles so when I finally get around to playing exclusives that makes the most of the hardware like Uncharted and HZD it sort of blows my mind.
Redmask wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 9:14 am
ReeGee, I don't use any of that motion handling crap because its really inconsistent from game to game and I find it annoying to constantly tinker with settings.
My LG OLED remembers settings per input which is nice so I just set everything up on Game then my HDR Game mode stuff. Most of those settings are just turning off LGs weird crap lol.
I'm using Game mode 90% of the time, always for PC and any 60fps console games. The only time I tinker with motionflow is for 30fps games where panning the camera is super choppy.

This is from Sony's manual for my TV. The first option is what I find helps with that choppy 30fps panning with no downsides, the second option which I never use is the crap that causes soap opera effect, artifacts and very noticeable input lag
Motionflow(KDL-32/40/46/55/60EX500,KDL-40/46/55EX501 models only)
Provides smoother picture movement and reduces picture blur. High Select for smoother picture movement such as for film-based contents. Standard Select for smooth picture movement. Use this setting for standard use. Off Select when the High or Standard settings result in noise.

CineMotion Provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for filmbased content. Select Auto 1 for standard use, or Auto 2 or Auto to represent original film-based content as is.
Sep 6, 2009
269 posts
22 upvotes
GTA - West End
Just bought a ps4, had a question for you guys. Do I need to have PS+ in order to play free games like Fornite BR?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3046 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto and London
Lost legacy was amazing.

One of my GOTY.

Likely 2nd or 3rd best uncharted game.

Come at me.
Aug 20, 2009
6804 posts
1520 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm now about 15 hours into AC:O and really enjoying it. I am playing with the Minimal HUD setting but I wish they would let you customize the elements themselves. Minimal strips out even discovery messages which are just one time notifications, it makes no sense. The game world is beautiful and I love playing it without visual distractions and the compass. But there are a few minor things you need to see on screen when they happen like loot and discovery messages. It is a bit frustrating that they didn't find a good tradeoff for minimal.

Game looks stunning on the Xbox One X.