• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 11:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6419 posts
1502 upvotes
I skipped Assassin's Creed Origins because Egypt is one of those locations in the world I would not want to go to, even if it were free.
I also have not finished the last 4 Assassin's Creed game (Black Flag, Unity, Rogue, Syndicate).

The series peaked with Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Both of which were set in Italy and had continuity with an interesting
main character.
Redmask wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 12:20 pm
I'm now about 15 hours into AC:O and really enjoying it. I am playing with the Minimal HUD setting but I wish they would let you customize the elements themselves. Minimal strips out even discovery messages which are just one time notifications, it makes no sense. The game world is beautiful and I love playing it without visual distractions and the compass. But there are a few minor things you need to see on screen when they happen like loot and discovery messages. It is a bit frustrating that they didn't find a good tradeoff for minimal.

Game looks stunning on the Xbox One X.
Dunkey does a video on Assassins' Creed Origins:

Last edited by XFactor11 on Nov 27th, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 20, 2009
6384 posts
1047 upvotes
Grimsby
I was the same way but they managed to make Egypt pretty engaging, no complaints with the setting now. Bayek I am liking a lot more than Connor and Arno, he's kind of like Edward from AC4 in terms of having a singular motivation which makes him easier for them to write. Ubisoft tends to get lost in bad video game writing when they attempt complex characters.

Brotherhood I am sort of lukewarm to these days. It had a lot of crap filler and the Ezio storyline overstayed its welcome a bit but was brought up by a great performance by the VA and peoples endearment for the character.

Game is just incredible in HDR on OLED, the missus wandered downstairs when I was flying Senu around and just said "wow".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5816 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to pick up AC:O sometime in 2018. Glad to hear AC is good again because I was totally burnt out on the series after Black Flag.

Played a lot more of Horizon this weekend and I have to say, as good as the gameplay and visuals are, the story and dialog in this game really aren't doing anything for me. The writing and voice acting are downright cringeworthy to me at times. You can tell they were heavily influenced by TW3 and shooting for that level in their story telling and side quests but the quality of writing and performances just aren't there. I still have about a third of the game to go so maybe it gets better but so far I feel like the game is a bit overrated in that regard.
Aug 20, 2009
6384 posts
1047 upvotes
Grimsby
Some of the side characters have poor VA but I found Aloy and most of the main cast fine. I appreciated a protagonist who will actually call people out on weird prophecies with a sense of humor too. I also found the writing pretty decent although a good chunk of the "good" stuff is loaded into the final act. I felt like they could've done better in terms of pacing the story in that respect, I pretty much felt the same as you until I finished it. I have to give the writers credit too, I was sure I had the "twist" figured out but they still managed to surprise me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5816 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
You're not the first to tell me the story picks up later and that there's a "wow" moment at some point but I'm like 25 hours in at this point and wondering when that happens lol. To be fair I still have a good chunk of main quests to go and even though I think the writing is kind of weak so far, it's still a commendable first effort and much better than I was expecting from the team who was only known for Killzone before this.

Has anyone played Frozen Wilds yet? I'm not sure I'm going to be eager to play that right away when I'm finished but wondering how it compares.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5009 posts
704 upvotes
calgary
I've never been a fan of AC dating back to the first one, I've tried and dropped probably 5 of them, but for whatever reason I loved AC:Unity, it was the first time one of these games held my attention enough to actually beat it. I picked up and played through Syndicate last year but did not enjoy it near as much because the story and characters wasnt as interesting and the game got very grindy towards the end.

What'd everyone get as a black friday haul?

I grabbed Wolfenstien 2, ROTR Season pass and Super lucky tales from the xbox store still on the fence on picking up Injustice 2, AC:O and Resident Evil 7 but between these the upcoming release of PuBG and the unfathomable amount of hours Im continuing to drop into Shadows of War I feel like I have enough to play until the next big sale.

Also grabbed Mario & Rabbids from best buy for 50$, all though I'm saving the last one for an xmas present for my son.
Aug 20, 2009
6384 posts
1047 upvotes
Grimsby
I got AC:O (digital) for Xbox One X, Xenoblade 2 preordered for Switch and Wolfenstein 2. Oh and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

I'm thinking about Frozen Wilds but I have a ton to play through right now so it can probably wait.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5144 posts
1958 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 6:21 pm
I've never been a fan of AC dating back to the first one, I've tried and dropped probably 5 of them, but for whatever reason I loved AC:Unity, it was the first time one of these games held my attention enough to actually beat it. I picked up and played through Syndicate last year but did not enjoy it near as much because the story and characters wasnt as interesting and the game got very grindy towards the end.

I grabbed Wolfenstien 2, ROTR Season pass and Super lucky tales from the xbox store still on the fence on picking up Injustice 2, AC:O and Resident Evil 7 but between these the upcoming release of PuBG and the unfathomable amount of hours Im continuing to drop into Shadows of War I feel like I have enough to play until the next big sale.

Also grabbed Mario & Rabbids from best buy for 50$, all though I'm saving the last one for an xmas present for my son.
I actually didn't get anything...was tempted to get Wolfenstein II, but I don't have the time to play it...I still have AC:O that I haven't touched.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3367 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm in the same boat. I've never finished an AC game, and Black Flag was the one I probably played the most (still didn't finish it though). It's funny that Unity was the one you like, as it seems to be one that most AC fans hated... maybe I'll like that one too.

My BF haul was Wolfenstein 2... Was tempted by Injustice 2 but I reminded myself of my backlog, and the fact that we'll see some deals during Boxing Day, so I instead traded SWBF2 and used some of the leftover credits after Wolfenstein to grab PUBG on Xbone.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
I finished the first ending/walkthrough of Nier Automata last week, and I think the game is...garbage.

I have a lot of issues with it, and I'm a bit surprised that it's on so many peoples GOTY lists.

One of the redeeming things is the soundtrack, which I think is really good. It doesn't stack up to Persona 5 for me, but it's still really well done. Unfortunately, the rest of the game falls flat.

The combat is exceptionally weak, with no real variation. Towards the end, I actually put the game on easy with auto on, because I couldn't be bothered anymore. It just wasn't fun or rewarding to keep pushing attack.

The game also couldn't decide if it wanted to be open world, or linear. Running up to a cliff only to have an invisible wall block you is just bad game design in 2017. You can jump over it, but it feels unnatural, like something is holding you back - even though you need to, or the game wants you to go that way. On top of that, having certain shortcuts blocked off, and involving you to take the long way around is annoying. Fast travel helps with a lot, minus the fact that you can't actually move the fast travel map and you have to close it, open the real map, find the spot you want, then try and find it again on the fast travel map. Again, bad game design.

I understanding the atmosphere of the game, but the visuals (minus the boss fights) are on par with PS3, maybe even PS2. A lot of the textures in the world are just really jarring and bad. I'm also personally not a fan of the anime fanservice outfit 2B wears, and the schoolboy look of 9S. Even the Sephiroth looking kids you fight later just don't fit into the world.

By the end of the first ending, which I forced myself to finish, the game really doesn't do a great job of anything. It gives you small bites of story, with the expectation that you're going to stick around for another 20 hours to feel the payoff, and the combat never really changes or gets better. In all honesty, out of the 60+ 2017 games I've played this year, this is either the worst, or second worst (hand in hand with Mass Effect) game of the year.
Aug 20, 2009
6384 posts
1047 upvotes
Grimsby
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:07 pm
I finished the first ending/walkthrough of Nier Automata last week, and I think the game is...garbage.

I have a lot of issues with it, and I'm a bit surprised that it's on so many peoples GOTY lists.

One of the redeeming things is the soundtrack, which I think is really good. It doesn't stack up to Persona 5 for me, but it's still really well done. Unfortunately, the rest of the game falls flat.

The combat is exceptionally weak, with no real variation. Towards the end, I actually put the game on easy with auto on, because I couldn't be bothered anymore. It just wasn't fun or rewarding to keep pushing attack.

The game also couldn't decide if it wanted to be open world, or linear. Running up to a cliff only to have an invisible wall block you is just bad game design in 2017. You can jump over it, but it feels unnatural, like something is holding you back - even though you need to, or the game wants you to go that way. On top of that, having certain shortcuts blocked off, and involving you to take the long way around is annoying. Fast travel helps with a lot, minus the fact that you can't actually move the fast travel map and you have to close it, open the real map, find the spot you want, then try and find it again on the fast travel map. Again, bad game design.

I understanding the atmosphere of the game, but the visuals (minus the boss fights) are on par with PS3, maybe even PS2. A lot of the textures in the world are just really jarring and bad. I'm also personally not a fan of the anime fanservice outfit 2B wears, and the schoolboy look of 9S. Even the Sephiroth looking kids you fight later just don't fit into the world.

By the end of the first ending, which I forced myself to finish, the game really doesn't do a great job of anything. It gives you small bites of story, with the expectation that you're going to stick around for another 20 hours to feel the payoff, and the combat never really changes or gets better. In all honesty, out of the 60+ 2017 games I've played this year, this is either the worst, or second worst (hand in hand with Mass Effect) game of the year.
Yeah I'm sour on this one as well, I got destroyed on reddit for criticizing it the other day. I picked it up and backlogged it awhile ago, only got around to it recently. The story is supposed to be a big deal but by design you need to play the game something like 5 times to fully understand it. The characterization is so thin and juvenile that it makes my guilty pleasure Tales of games look good. The sidequests are generic fetch/retread crap. Some of them have lite story elements that play into the overall plot but there's no real indication. The amount of invisible walls is absurd in what is supposed to be quasi-open world gameplay and worse, its just tedious. The map is so bad that there's even in-game references to people complaining about it from the previous title. Platinum Games has done WAY better stuff than this, the combat system is also really boring and has no real depth, the volume of screen spam is hilarious too.

I mean, I was raised on old school Japanese games so I am the target audience for this game but it just isn't very good IMO. The music is the bright spot in the whole experience but unfortunately it doesn't really fit the game at all. I wish I could see what other people apparently saw in this game.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5144 posts
1958 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:02 pm
I'm in the same boat. I've never finished an AC game, and Black Flag was the one I probably played the most (still didn't finish it though). It's funny that Unity was the one you like, as it seems to be one that most AC fans hated... maybe I'll like that one too.

My BF haul was Wolfenstein 2... Was tempted by Injustice 2 but I reminded myself of my backlog, and the fact that we'll see some deals during Boxing Day, so I instead traded SWBF2 and used some of the leftover credits after Wolfenstein to grab PUBG on Xbone.
How much did you get for it?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3367 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 2:58 pm
How much did you get for it?
$50... and I got it from the E3 deal for $50+tax... so pretty much a free rental if you use the credit right away on a preorder since EB doesn't charge tax when you go that route.

EB gives $50 for select games up to 2 weeks after their launch... but your window is closing fast, since that game is coming up to the 2 week mark on Friday.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5816 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:07 pm

By the end of the first ending, which I forced myself to finish, the game really doesn't do a great job of anything. It gives you small bites of story, with the expectation that you're going to stick around for another 20 hours to feel the payoff, and the combat never really changes or gets better.
Redmask wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:29 pm
The story is supposed to be a big deal but by design you need to play the game something like 5 times to fully understand it. The characterization is so thin and juvenile that it makes my guilty pleasure Tales of games look good.
That reminds of 999 which was also highly praised by critics and players but I couldn't bring myself to play the same thing over and over in order to get the "good" ending. I've almost been convinced by the Neir hype but if it's one of those games you need to play again and again to get the full pay off I will probably avoid it
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5144 posts
1958 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 3:01 pm
$50... and I got it from the E3 deal for $50+tax... so pretty much a free rental if you use the credit right away on a preorder since EB doesn't charge tax when you go that route.

EB gives $50 for select games up to 2 weeks after their launch... but your window is closing fast, since that game is coming up to the 2 week mark on Friday.
Thanks, gonna trade that it for a XBL GC.