• Feb 18th, 2022 11:27 am
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
SuperDuperFox wrote: No man sky...Destiny....Elite Dangerous....

Sounds like the holy trinity of boring pointless repetitive space games..... :(

I know Destiny is not EXACTLY the same since its mostly fps, but still...I remember the hype...and then the fall...

Is Mass Effect the only series that can actually combine sci-fi with a decent story? Why is no one else able to do it anymore...
I had a lot of fun with ED for 50 hours. Then, the lack of depth sunk in, and I was sad.

Worth the purchase for me, but still.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIC7HLC-bU

New trailer on trade.

This reminds me exactly of Elite Dangerous to be quite honest. Lack of player interactions is where the boring part comes in. Trading is fantastic, but trading with NPC's is not.

It's 2016, this game should be multiplayer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I just want to explore and zip around in space because space is rad as heck. Believe it or not theres very few games that let you do this, shallow or otherwise. Maybe I'll get bored of it in a week but if I had fun for that week then I'll count it as a win.
If this game turns out how you just described here was still the $20 indie game it was originally supposed to be, that would be completely acceptable to me as well but once they started to market it as a full priced $80 AAA game, that created expectations where I previously had none. At this point I feel it's fair and can't help but to compare it to other full priced open world games I've purchased and enjoyed like The Witcher 3, Xenoblade X, GTA V, Fallout 4 ect and based of what I've seen so far, I'm not sure this game belongs on the same shelf as those deep long lasting games.
If this game ends up being a unique but shallow exploration game that's fun at first but gets boring quickly, that's perfectly fine but it shouldn't be $80 at launch
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
SuperDuperFox wrote: No man sky...Destiny....Elite Dangerous....

Sounds like the holy trinity of boring pointless repetitive space games..... :(

I know Destiny is not EXACTLY the same since its mostly fps, but still...I remember the hype...and then the fall...

Is Mass Effect the only series that can actually combine sci-fi with a decent story? Why is no one else able to do it anymore...
I don't know, I feel like there's a big difference between what Mass Effect is trying to accomplish and what something like Elite or NMS is trying to do. Mass Effect is a story driven ARPG that happens to take place in space but most of the exploration is rudimentary on hand made levels (the first games barren planets excepted). It's a shame there aren't more games like Mass Effect but I'm not really looking for that sort of experience in a game like E :D or NMS. One mans boring and repetitive is another mans enjoyment :) You don't see a lot of space exploration games with the sort of scale involved in NMS. Maybe they can't pull it off but either way I applaud the effort, particularly from a small studio.

And yeah ReeGee, I can't disagree about the price. I got it much cheaper earlier on but its definitely pretty pricey nowadays.
Back to console games we're playing... Speaking of games with no formal narrative, I just finished Inside... and I also finished the secret ending (I had most of the secrets, but needed to look up 2 of the orbs, and of course, the final puzzle).

... and... wow. I'm still thinking about this game. I may never play it again, nor will I ever swim in the dark, but Inside was beautiful, grotesque, stunning, stark, kinda sad and thought provoking. Definitely needs to be experienced if you've got a PC or XBone and enjoyed Limbo.
I've heard so much good stuff about this game its getting hard to ignore, I'm definitely going to have to pick it up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Back to console games we're playing... Speaking of games with no formal narrative, I just finished Inside... and I also finished the secret ending (I had most of the secrets, but needed to look up 2 of the orbs, and of course, the final puzzle).

... and... wow. I'm still thinking about this game. I may never play it again, nor will I ever swim in the dark, but Inside was beautiful, grotesque, stunning, stark, kinda sad and thought provoking. Definitely needs to be experienced if you've got a PC or XBone and enjoyed Limbo.
Damn I honestly forgot this game came out. Added it to my steam wishlist. I feel like they're maybe not doing a great job marketing the PC release of this game because out of my 55 friends on steam only one person has it right now
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Damn I honestly forgot this game came out. Added it to my steam wishlist. I feel like they're maybe not doing a great job marketing the PC release of this game because out of my 55 friends on steam only one person has it right now
It's a 25 person company, so I assume their marketing/PR budget isn't very large, but it's getting great word of mouth at the very least. Literally all the podcasts I listen to have devoted large chunks of their time discussing it. I think maybe people have it on their "I'll wait til it's on sale" list. The game itself is only a couple hours long, and at $20, it might scare some away if they're very concerned about time value per dollar.

Even though I may never play it again, I'm glad I made the purchase. I think you should too...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: Back to console games we're playing... Speaking of games with no formal narrative, I just finished Inside... and I also finished the secret ending (I had most of the secrets, but needed to look up 2 of the orbs, and of course, the final puzzle).

Yeah it was fantastic, the art and animation was flawless and the pacing was probably the best I've experienced in a 2D platformer. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the ending though as it had been hyped up by some in the media and I felt it maybe asked more questions then it answered in a game where I wanted some dam answers. Having said that it made me scour the Internet for theories and ideas on what to make of it after. Honestly everything about it put Limbo to shame which is saying something because limbo is a pretty Good title in its own right.

It's also short, I think I beat it in two or three sittings but it is so refreshing to see a game so masterfully crafted over a few hours in this day and age.
ReeGee wrote: At this point I feel it's fair and can't help but to compare it to other full priced open world games I've purchased and enjoyed like The Witcher 3, Xenoblade X, GTA V, Fallout 4 ect and based of what I've seen so far, I'm not sure this game belongs on the same shelf as those deep long lasting games.
If this game ends up being a unique but shallow exploration game that's fun at first but gets boring quickly, that's perfectly fine but it shouldn't be $80 at launch
This sort of mentality is what has led to so much bloat and repetition in modern day games.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Yeah it was fantastic, the art and animation was flawless and the pacing was probably the best I've experienced in a 2D platformer. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the ending though as it had been hyped up by some in the media and I felt it maybe asked more questions then it answered in a game where I wanted some dam answers. Having said that it made me scour the Internet for theories and ideas on what to make of it after. Honestly everything about it put Limbo to shame which is saying something because limbo is a pretty Good title in its own right.

It's also short, I think I beat it in two or three sittings but it is so refreshing to see a game so masterfully crafted over a few hours in this day and age.
Even though it was short, you could tell that the devs put so much care into the game. Just the animation itself was breathtaking, despite the simplistic character designs. Like, every action and reaction to objects in the world that you can interact with was meticulously animated... and care was taken to not take shortcuts. Take for example, if you're opening a hatch on the floor but you're standing on it, it'll show your character trying to open it, but he can't because he's on top of it. I feel like other games would've taken the easy route and just had your character kind of glide over to the side while the hatch opens. Or if you're pushing a box... you can push it from behind traditionally like in Limbo, but if you're beside it and the box is kind of in your background, there's also a different animation when you push it that way. The foreground/background interaction was awesome.

I'm not too disappointed about the ending. Yes, it raises questions, but the narrative in this game is left purposely blank anyway, and so you're forced to make up or figure out the story yourself.

I hope Playdead doesn't take another 6 years to release their next game!
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Wii U 3rd party support is just about officially dead.

For Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th anniversary, Sega announced Project Sonic 2017 (not the final name) for Nintendo NX/PS4/XB1 and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

The second game, Sonic Mania, a 2D sprite based Sonic game has been revealed for PS4/XB1/PC. No wii u version.
It is set for an early 2017 release date. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo

Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Team Marie wins the final Splatoon Splatfest.

Nintendo is leaving the servers online to play other match types and modes but Splatfest is done for good. Further patch updates are unlikely to occur as well.
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/07/04/n ... -continue/

Marie won the popularity vote and players on Team Marie won the most battles overall.
I just realized the calamari pun with Callie and Marie.

Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
The previous leak has been confirmed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251516
http://marvel.com/news/video_games/2650 ... e_alliance

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 have been announced for XB1, PS4, and PC. It will be a digital download release this Tuesday.
$39 USD each or $60 USD for the bundle.

Changes are better performance, UI and graphical enhancements.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: We always have threads for new games, but nothing about older or existing games. No real definitive thread about console gaming.
This thread is becoming just another news dump and hype thread for new games lol
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
I think that system is better than creating a brand new topic for every minor video game update or news post.

There are already 7 different Pokemon GO topics in this forum alone.
ReeGee wrote: This thread is becoming just another news dump and hype thread for new games lol
- The PC version of No Man's Sky has been delayed 3 days after the PS4 version releases. (Aug 12th)
- 90% of the planets are barren but have resources and other things to do
- 1% are considered paradise planets with fully realized vegetation and animals lifeforms wandering about.
- 10% have minor or beginning stages of lifeforms roaming the planet.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
XFactor11 wrote:
- The PC version of No Man's Sky has been delayed 3 days after the PS4 version releases. (Aug 12th)
- 90% of the planets are barren but have resources and other things to do
- 1% are considered paradise panets with fully realized vegetation and animals lifeforms wandering the planet.
- 10% have minor or beginning stages of lifeforms roaming the planet.

None of this sounds good to me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I can live with the PC delay since I was never planning to pick this up until it's $20 and that's if it reviews well. The rest of that stuff, yikes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly those numbers can't be for real, I mean where did that info even come from? Who has the game already that they were able to explore 100 planets to figure out the 1%? Doubt that info came from the developer. Sounds like its probably trolling
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Those are snippets from the developers Q & A posted in the No Man's Sky thread on neogaf.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... ky&page=30

The Verge also did a preview of No Man's Sky with similar information.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/585671 ... ky-preview
ReeGee wrote: Honestly those numbers can't be for real, I mean where did that info even come from? Who has the game already that they were able to explore 100 planets to figure out the 1%? Doubt that info came from the developer. Sounds like its probably trolling
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Lifting off a crappy planet takes seconds so I'm not too worried about it. There's probably an algorithm that ensures you find something of value every X planets. Besides its a space exploration game, they can't fill every planet with dinosaurs or something.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote: Lifting off a crappy planet takes seconds so I'm not too worried about it. There's probably an algorithm that ensures you find something of value every X planets. Besides its a space exploration game, they can't fill every planet with dinosaurs or something.
Im getting some Mass Effect 1 Mako vibes though. The payoff is probably way better when you actually find something but I dont know if I have the patience for something like that.