• Dec 15th, 2017 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1631 posts
712 upvotes
Hamilton
How would AC:O compare to Black Flag? I've had a hard time playing the games since the days of Edward.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6052 posts
1320 upvotes
EA's stock has lost $3 Billion in value since the release of Star Wars Battlefront II due to negative backlash.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-has ... nt-2.8550/
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-day ... ter%7Cmain
Electronic Arts' shareholders are running for the hills this month and for good reason.

The company's profitable business model is now at risk after angry gamers revolted over its aggressive in-game moneymaking strategy in "Star Wars Battlefront II."

EA's stock is down 8.5 percent month to date through Tuesday compared with the S&P 500's 2 percent gain, wiping out $3.1 billion of shareholder value. Its competitors Take-Two and Activision Blizzardshares are up 5 percent and 0.7 percent respectively during the same time period.

After EA gave a Dec. quarter sales forecast slightly below Wall Street estimates on Oct. 31, some analysts suspected it was due to the Stars Wars title. The shares fell 4 percent the following day.
Videogame Dunkey reviews Star Wars Battlefront 2 Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EB Games also welched on their advertised guaranteed $50 trade in credit for SW BF2 stating they only give $35 credit for it now.

Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 4:02 pm
That reminds of 999 which was also highly praised by critics and players but I couldn't bring myself to play the same thing over and over in order to get the "good" ending. I've almost been convinced by the Neir hype but if it's one of those games you need to play again and again to get the full pay off I will probably avoid it
I played 999 a few months ago, actually purchased the trilogy before playing. It was fine, I didn't think it was anything exceptional and I didn't go for all the endings. Danganronpa is a massively better game in that genre though.

Nier is a bit different. There are different endings, but there's one true ending that you get by playing the game to completion. The problem is that it makes you replay about 5-6 hours worth of content with a different character to get there, and it just isn't fun or rewarding.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 4:27 pm
How would AC:O compare to Black Flag? I've had a hard time playing the games since the days of Edward.
It's totally different. New combat system that is a bit of a mashup between AC and a Souls game. Very fast and unforgiving, much more difficult than prior games. It has some RPG elements now in terms of leveling and loot lists. It's a large open world but with a lot more substantial things to do in it. Most sidequests have flavor and are interesting. The climbing system is more more fluid and I would compare it to BOTW in how it opens up the world.

AC:O is its own thing entirely, it can't really be compared to other titles in the franchise outside of shared universe trappings.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6052 posts
1320 upvotes
If you like Bayonetta 1 and 2 or Metal Gear Rising Revengeance then the combat in Nier Automata is better than those games.

I work a lot of hours so I have not advanced past 2 hours of it yet but NieR Automata is the only other game so far to get a 2017 Game of the Year
win besides The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild from critic awards, but it is still early because only 10 game of year awards have been named as of today.

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2017/09/ ... -year.html

Dunkey's take on NieR Automata:

LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:07 pm
I finished the first ending/walkthrough of Nier Automata last week, and I think the game is...garbage.

I have a lot of issues with it, and I'm a bit surprised that it's on so many peoples GOTY lists.

One of the redeeming things is the soundtrack, which I think is really good. It doesn't stack up to Persona 5 for me, but it's still really well done. Unfortunately, the rest of the game falls flat.

The combat is exceptionally weak, with no real variation. Towards the end, I actually put the game on easy with auto on, because I couldn't be bothered anymore. It just wasn't fun or rewarding to keep pushing attack.

The game also couldn't decide if it wanted to be open world, or linear. Running up to a cliff only to have an invisible wall block you is just bad game design in 2017. You can jump over it, but it feels unnatural, like something is holding you back - even though you need to, or the game wants you to go that way. On top of that, having certain shortcuts blocked off, and involving you to take the long way around is annoying. Fast travel helps with a lot, minus the fact that you can't actually move the fast travel map and you have to close it, open the real map, find the spot you want, then try and find it again on the fast travel map. Again, bad game design.

I understanding the atmosphere of the game, but the visuals (minus the boss fights) are on par with PS3, maybe even PS2. A lot of the textures in the world are just really jarring and bad. I'm also personally not a fan of the anime fanservice outfit 2B wears, and the schoolboy look of 9S. Even the Sephiroth looking kids you fight later just don't fit into the world.

By the end of the first ending, which I forced myself to finish, the game really doesn't do a great job of anything. It gives you small bites of story, with the expectation that you're going to stick around for another 20 hours to feel the payoff, and the combat never really changes or gets better. In all honesty, out of the 60+ 2017 games I've played this year, this is either the worst, or second worst (hand in hand with Mass Effect) game of the year.
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:07 pm
I finished the first ending/walkthrough of Nier Automata last week, and I think the game is...garbage.

I have a lot of issues with it, and I'm a bit surprised that it's on so many peoples GOTY lists.

One of the redeeming things is the soundtrack, which I think is really good. It doesn't stack up to Persona 5 for me, but it's still really well done. Unfortunately, the rest of the game falls flat.

The combat is exceptionally weak, with no real variation. Towards the end, I actually put the game on easy with auto on, because I couldn't be bothered anymore. It just wasn't fun or rewarding to keep pushing attack.

The game also couldn't decide if it wanted to be open world, or linear. Running up to a cliff only to have an invisible wall block you is just bad game design in 2017. You can jump over it, but it feels unnatural, like something is holding you back - even though you need to, or the game wants you to go that way. On top of that, having certain shortcuts blocked off, and involving you to take the long way around is annoying. Fast travel helps with a lot, minus the fact that you can't actually move the fast travel map and you have to close it, open the real map, find the spot you want, then try and find it again on the fast travel map. Again, bad game design.

I understanding the atmosphere of the game, but the visuals (minus the boss fights) are on par with PS3, maybe even PS2. A lot of the textures in the world are just really jarring and bad. I'm also personally not a fan of the anime fanservice outfit 2B wears, and the schoolboy look of 9S. Even the Sephiroth looking kids you fight later just don't fit into the world.

By the end of the first ending, which I forced myself to finish, the game really doesn't do a great job of anything. It gives you small bites of story, with the expectation that you're going to stick around for another 20 hours to feel the payoff, and the combat never really changes or gets better. In all honesty, out of the 60+ 2017 games I've played this year, this is either the worst, or second worst (hand in hand with Mass Effect) game of the year.
Nier Automata was my game of the year pick. Feel free to share your picks in the GOTY thread. No other game does what this game does. One second you're in action combat, next second you're 2D side scrolling, next second you're in a shoot'em up, add in an emotional balls to the wall story and you've got a recipe for a very good game. I did find the combat somewhat dull, so I watched a lengthy tutorial to learn the intricacies of the battle system in hopes of making it more interesting. Problem is that most of the combat can be passed just by mashing the attack button and I usually play on normal unless there is an achievement for playing on a harder difficulty. I also do think that there were too many pointless sidequests and the game would have been better to focus on it's action packed story rather than the boring open world aspect.

so-what-your-goty-gotg-so-far-2097582/

Redmask wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:29 pm
Yeah I'm sour on this one as well, I got destroyed on reddit for criticizing it the other day. I picked it up and backlogged it awhile ago, only got around to it recently. The story is supposed to be a big deal but by design you need to play the game something like 5 times to fully understand it. The characterization is so thin and juvenile that it makes my guilty pleasure Tales of games look good. The sidequests are generic fetch/retread crap. Some of them have lite story elements that play into the overall plot but there's no real indication. The amount of invisible walls is absurd in what is supposed to be quasi-open world gameplay and worse, its just tedious. The map is so bad that there's even in-game references to people complaining about it from the previous title. Platinum Games has done WAY better stuff than this, the combat system is also really boring and has no real depth, the volume of screen spam is hilarious too.

I mean, I was raised on old school Japanese games so I am the target audience for this game but it just isn't very good IMO. The music is the bright spot in the whole experience but unfortunately it doesn't really fit the game at all. I wish I could see what other people apparently saw in this game.
This is a misnomer and really wish the game was designed differently. You don't play through the game 5 times. The game doesn't end after the first "ending" but I can see how some people might think so. Think of it more as an interlude or end of a chapter. Nobody stops playing a game after the first chapter would you? The second playthrough may seem similar because you replay parts of the story but it's meant to give you an interesting perspective from the eyes of the other main protagonist. The story continues after that with you getting ending "C". You can get ending "D" by just by replaying the last battle and making the opposite choice if you wish. Ending "E" considered the true ending, you get for playing through the mini game during the end credits of the last battle. So no, you don't have to play through the game 5 times.

The first Nier was dumb. Even though the game was excellent, you had to playthrough the exact same game 5 times just to get a different cutscene at the end. Might as well just watch it on youtube at that point. This is not the case with Nier Automata.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:14 pm
Nier Automata was my game of the year pick. Feel free to share your picks in the GOTY thread. No other game does what this game does. One second you're in action combat, next second you're 2D side scrolling, next second you're in a shoot'em up, add in an emotional balls to the wall story and you've got a recipe for a very good game. I did find the combat somewhat dull, so I watched a lengthy tutorial to learn the intricacies of the battle system in hopes of making it more interesting. Problem is that most of the combat can be passed just by mashing the attack button and I usually play on normal unless there is an achievement for playing on a harder difficulty. I also do think that there were too many pointless sidequests and the game would have been better to focus on it's action packed story rather than the boring open world aspect.

This is a misnomer and really wish the game was designed differently. You don't play through the game 5 times. The game doesn't end after the first "ending" but I can see how some people might think so. Think of it more as an interlude or end of a chapter. Nobody stops playing a game after the first chapter would you? The second playthrough may seem similar because you replay parts of the story but it's meant to give you an interesting perspective from the eyes of the other main protagonist. The story continues after that with you getting ending "C". You can get ending "D" by just by replaying the last battle and making the opposite choice if you wish. Ending "E" considered the true ending, you get for playing through the mini game during the end credits of the last battle. So no, you don't have to play through the game 5 times.

The first Nier was dumb. Even though the game was excellent, you had to playthrough the exact same game 5 times just to get a different cutscene at the end. Might as well just watch it on youtube at that point. This is not the case with Nier Automata.
Appreciate the reply. Where's the GOTY thread? I couldn't find it, unless it slipped a few pages.

Just finished my personal ranking, happy to share it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:04 pm
PS+ games for December are: Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition and Kung Fu Pandas. Not bad, available on Dec. 5.
I got D2:DE from that recent Playstation humble bundle and haven't got around to playing it yet. Finished Darksiders Warmastered Edition earlier this year and loved it. They upgraded owners of the original for free on Steam
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
LinkPersona wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:17 pm
Appreciate the reply. Where's the GOTY thread? I couldn't find it, unless it slipped a few pages.

Just finished my personal ranking, happy to share it.
I provided the link up top. 60+ games huh? I've played most of the games this year as well. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:18 pm
I got D2:DE from that recent Playstation humble bundle and haven't got around to playing it yet. Finished Darksiders Warmastered Edition earlier this year and loved it. They upgraded owners of the original for free on Steam
I love the Darksiders series too. D2:DE in some ways is even better than the first especially where the combat is concerned.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:26 pm
I provided the link up top. 60+ games huh? I've played most of the games this year as well. Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

My fault, it was closer to 40ish games this year. I mistakenly included games that weren't released this year.

Posted my list in the GOTY thread.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:18 pm
I liked the original but lost steam on the second game early on, I think some other stuff came out at the same time. Looking forward to finishing it. Sony is doing much better with PS+ now.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16396 posts
1100 upvotes
Woodbridge
So why is Microsoft not being aggressive and putting their XBOX One X not on sale?

I'm wondering because it's actually the console I wanted but price of PS4 Pro is too good.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:05 pm
So why is Microsoft not being aggressive and putting their XBOX One X not on sale?

I'm wondering because it's actually the console I wanted but price of PS4 Pro is too good.
Ugh because the console just came out. The PS4 Pro didn't have any sales when it first launched last year either. Heck it didn't even come with any games. As far as I know X1X comes with a ton of games. X1X will always be the more expensive console since it's newer and has the faster/better hardware.