• Dec 15th, 2017 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16396 posts
1100 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm aware which is why I used aggressive.

So what they'll let Sony take the sales this holiday season which have begun.

So they're in a no win situation
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
As far as I know X1X comes with a ton of games
Surprisingly it comes with no games at all. The package includes a controller, HDMI cable, some batteries, the console and an XBL trial. The PS4 Pro doesn't officially include any games either but Sony and retailers have done some pack in codes (like Horizon) as promo stuff.

It's selling pretty well, nowhere near the PS4 or Switch figures from what I've read but pretty well for a $599 piece of hardware. So there's that and the fact that they have to go justify selling at a loss to the shareholders. It just came out a few weeks ago and if the sales don't stay consistent then they will cut prices at E3 next year for sure.
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:23 pm
Surprisingly it comes with no games at all. The package includes a controller, HDMI cable, some batteries, the console and an XBL trial. The PS4 Pro doesn't officially include any games either but Sony and retailers have done some pack in codes (like Horizon) as promo stuff.

It's selling pretty well, nowhere near the PS4 or Switch figures from what I've read but pretty well for a $599 piece of hardware. So there's that and the fact that they have to go justify selling at a loss to the shareholders. It just came out a few weeks ago and if the sales don't stay consistent then they will cut prices at E3 next year for sure.
Doesn't the X also come with a month of game pass? At least there's that. I've seen a ton of unboxings on youtube with people getting a ton of game codes in the box including a 4K movie. I guess those are only reviewer editions?

Of course PS4 is the better value. MS needs to make some money on the console to make up for R&D and the Holidays is the best time to do it. There will be a price cut and game bundle later on in the year. The Pro is a very slight upgrade over the base PS4 while the X is a serious graphical beast.

If you play exclusives get the PS4, if you play multiplats get the X.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4844 posts
651 upvotes
calgary
One is brand new and priced and marketed towards the diehard only right now and the price reflects. The other is a year old and all the diehards have bought in already so they'll lower the price to lure the next tier of people in.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3226 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:18 pm

So they're in a no win situation
MS will be more aggressive with their XBox One S, and they have always said that the X isn't for everyone. That's the messaging that Phil Spencer was saying ever since E3 or even before then, and that's a key message here. Most people will be fine w/ Xbone S, which they were pretty aggressive with in terms of pricing. Only real enthusiasts who have the hardware to support it will bother with Xbone X, and I think they're fine with that.

Once you cut the price of hardware, there's no going back. It doesn't make sense for them to be "aggressive" within the first month of launch when they got a decent number of sales as it is.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 6:41 pm
Damn Uncharted Lost Legacy is amazing. I'm on chapter 4 and this huge open area is way more than I was expecting out of this expansion. Playing as Chloe instead of Drake works surprisingly well too. So happy this went on sale so soon.

Random question but do you guys use any image processing on your TV's to help with console games? I find the "motionflow" feature (not to be confused with "cinemotion" full frame interpolation) on Sony TVs really helps with 30fps games. It's a subtle effect that makes panning at low framerates much easier on the eyes with next to no input lag, at least no more noticeable than 30fps has to begin with. I've been playing Horizon and Uncharted with that on and its much better than without imo
Small black friday haul of Lost Legacy due to all the positive feedback (doubt it will be cheaper any time soon), Livelock and Never Alone DLC. Mostly waiting for sales on Gravity Rush 2, LA Noire Remastered and Cuphead.

As for your TV, I am surprised that are able to turn on motionflow while in Game Mode. Typically any kind of post processing will introduce massive amounts of input lag. A quick search says many gamers think it does make games look more smooth. If I'm not mistaken that's the technology that puts a black image inbetween frames to make it look more smooth? Anyhow if you're really curious I definitely suggest googling your TV's model number along with motionflow and input lag. TV's have come a long way in reducing input lag over the years. Also if you're connecting your PC to the TV, your TV might have a "PC mode"which reduces input lag to a bare minimum. I know that my Samsung does.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:04 pm
As for your TV, I am surprised that are able to turn on motionflow while in Game Mode. Typically any kind of post processing will introduce massive amounts of input lag. A quick search says many gamers think it does make games look more smooth. If I'm not mistaken that's the technology that puts a black image inbetween frames to make it look more smooth? Anyhow if you're really curious I definitely suggest googling your TV's model number along with motionflow and input lag. TV's have come a long way in reducing input lag over the years. Also if you're connecting your PC to the TV, your TV might have a "PC mode"which reduces input lag to a bare minimum. I know that my Samsung does.
It doesn't let you turn it on in Game Mode which is what I'm using most of the time and all the time with PC. Only for 30fps console games do I switch it to custom, copy the game mode settings and then enable motionflow on its own.
Cinemotion is what inserts interpolated frames to create the illusion of 60fps but that causes noticeable input lag, artifacting and is generally inconsistent. Motionflow on its own doesn't add any noticeable lag, at least not in 30fps games which are laggy to begin with on any display. As far as I can tell motionflow is a Sony only feature and even then only on some models. It doesn't do the fake 60fps illusion, it only makes jittery low framerate panning smoother and easier on the eyes. It's still clearly 30fps, but without the headache inducing stutter when you pan the camera
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
I turned off TruMotion completely on my LG OLED. I hated the way that looked, the camcorder effect.

I had a huge amount of input lag when AC:Origins updated to the HDR patch. I realized that I wasn't on game mode (apparently HDR has it's own picture settings). Once I set HDR to game mode, it went back to normal (by the way, AC:Origins looks gorgeous in 4K HDR).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
Bryson wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:48 pm
Doesn't the X also come with a month of game pass? At least there's that. I've seen a ton of unboxings on youtube with people getting a ton of game codes in the box including a 4K movie. I guess those are only reviewer editions?
They throw that stuff at reviewers, the regular X doesn't come with any games. I'm not hugely bothered by it but I think both Sony and MS could stand to at least throw in something old like Killzone or Forza 5 in the box.
I turned off TruMotion completely on my LG OLED. I hated the way that looked, the camcorder effect.

I had a huge amount of input lag when AC:Origins updated to the HDR patch. I realized that I wasn't on game mode (apparently HDR has it's own picture settings). Once I set HDR to game mode, it went back to normal (by the way, AC:Origins looks gorgeous in 4K HDR).
By default LG OLED inputs all retain separate settings unless you select "Apply this to all inputs" after configuring one. HDR is a bit weird in that you need to be in HDR content first to change the actual HDR settings, as you discovered. LG should really redo that at some point, it confused me too at first. I'm 2 months into this 65" B7 and loving it for games, great performer. No issues with image retention or burn in either.

AC:O is really the stand out HDR game right now, people say Halo 5 looks good and I agree but I think AC:O is much better.
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
Both Skyrim and Fallout 4 X patches are out. I hear that Fallout 4 looks breathtaking.

You can't spell Beast without X!

B...............T
.....E.....S
.........A
.....E.....S
B...............T

:)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
I need Microsoft to bring me some new games and get me pumped again :( They have all of this cool IP they're sitting on, do some stuff! Or land a sports franchise again. Pick a sport and make the best contender to an officially licensed EA game that you can.

Not trying to be debbie downer but I just can't get that excited about third party patches for old games. I hope they come out swinging at E3, Sony and Nintendo have been on fire lately but I think Microsoft has a really unique opportunity and they shouldn't let it pass. They've got the most powerful console, now sell it with some exclusive stuff that blows peoples minds. I hope they have stuff already in the pipeline instead of like just starting now, we might not see it for 2-3 years if that's the case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6052 posts
1320 upvotes
Nintendo is now Japan's richest company largely due to their resurgence with the success of the Nintendo Switch and the SNES Classic mini.
Nintendo has a large reserve of cash unlike most other big companies that run a deficit to earn temporary revenues.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/1 ... _is_fourth

Sony is 4th in Japan, which makes Nintendo's rise all the more impressive because Nintendo only focuses on video game software and hardware.
The Nintendo Switch and the SNES Classic mini were the #1 and #2 top selling video game systems for October 2017 in the USA.
Japanese business publication Toyo Keizai has released its list of the 500 richest companies in Japan, and Nintendo has come out on top.

Nintendo has a whopping 946 billion Yen in net cash reserves, and is - as we know - currently raking it in thanks to the incredibly successful Switch.

Nintendo's closest rival in the video game sphere is Sony, which came in fourth place on the same list. Sony naturally has other interests outside of gaming, such as consumer electronics and smartphones, which makes Nintendo's achievement even more impressive.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is doing pretty well in the reviews, 86 on OpenCritic and 85 on Metacritic so far. Looks like the biggest criticisms are that it takes awhile to get going (common JRPG thing) and some technical issues. Another notch in Nintendos belt with the Switch. So many good games this year, it is getting kind of ridiculous!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4844 posts
651 upvotes
calgary
I played the first mission and the beginning of the second mission of Wolfenstien 2 on Xbox One X/4K TV last night.

That game feels like a generational leap over the first one, I imagine that the game just improved quite a bit graphically combined with it being in 4K/60 where as the first one was well below that. I cant believe how lifelike and realistic everything looked. Between seeing this and battlefront in 4K, I really can't see games producing much better visuals than this, we are at the point where everything just looks like CGI.

Also that game really goes some places in the first 30 minutes or so, it's already leaning into several different controversial topics, given the setting of that game I really wonder how far they take this stuff and hopefully it can send a pretty good message instead of just being there for the sake of being there.

I also was able to briefly check out Fallout 4 on the X, honestly its not much of an improvement over the original from what I remember, the game did seem to run a lot smoother but graphically the 4K patch didnt seem to do much for it. There were a few games I was waiting to get an X and an enhanced version to jump back in and play some more of, this being one of them but I dunno, not only did the visuals measure up but the game felt incredibly dated from a gameplay perspective, I don't know if I will even bother.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Nov 30th, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
What game are you talking about in your first three paragraphs Spicy?