• Jan 23rd, 2018 11:28 am
Tags:
None
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 11:49 am
XBox One X backwards compatibility actually does add new assets for some games and ups the resolution depending on how the game was updated when it was patched.
The 1X will benefit games that use a dynamic resolution as it will be able to maintain the highest resolution. Games that were made to run at a lower fixed resolution because of the original Xbox One's lower specs will need to be patched. That's 4 years of multiplats that look better on the PS4. If I am spending $600+ on a brand new console I would like ALL of my games to look better, not just some. Wish it was like a PC where a new graphics card will make all of your games look better, not just some.

Also what you mentioned previously about Xbox install times taking a ridiculously long time is true. When I first got my Xbox last year I remember I had to wait till the next day to play a game because it downloads a patch while it's installing. Soon we'll be tel;ling our kids,"I remember back in my day when we could put a game into our console and play it immediately!" Imagine kids that get a game for Christmas and having to wait several days to play their games? That's just brutal. That was back when I had my slow ass DSL. Now that I'm on fiber, it's actually faster to download a game than it is to install from a physical disc lol!
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 1:33 pm
I can't believe how good Assassins Creed Origins is and how much variety there is compared to the previous games. I'm about 8 hours in and have yet to do anything that felt repetitive. My favorite quest so far was rescuing the stranded virgin dude surrounded by crocs. Does that even sound like something from an AC game lol? There's been a couple stealth sections I wasn't a big fan of but overall I'm having a good time with this game.
I just can't see myself getting into another AC game. The Map bombarded with icons and the formulaic design of having to climb every tower to unlock new areas just offends my OCD lol. The game looks alright from what I've seen. Will probably wait for a deeper discount before I jump in. Besides Paladins is just consuming my soul atm.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6117 posts
863 upvotes
Grimsby
Bryson wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 12:22 am
I just can't see myself getting into another AC game. The Map bombarded with icons and the formulaic design of having to climb every tower to unlock new areas just offends my OCD lol. The game looks alright from what I've seen. Will probably wait for a deeper discount before I jump in. Besides Paladins is just consuming my soul atm.
It's not really like that anymore though. The sidequests all have flavor and variety to them. The tower climbing is optional and well implemented thanks to the new climbing mode is that more natural like BOTW. Just play it in Minimal HUD mode or turn the compass off and enjoy the ride. I was totally burned out on AC and skeptical too but its really turned me around on the franchise. Great game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 12:22 am
I was totally burnt out on AC after Black Flag as well and had played every one up to that point. In addition to what Redmask said there are a other new and refined mechanics that make the series feel fresh and fun again. Stuff like the completely revamped combat, variety of bows and melee weapons, cool tools, an eagle you can fly around , mounts and boats, and other stuff. It looks like AC on the surface and has moments reminiscent of the previous games but when you start digging into it, it feels very different and fun
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
I should probably finish Assassin's Creed Unity and Assassin's Creed Syndicate before starting AC Origins.
I mentioned it earlier, but what turns me away from playing Origins is the setting and the protagonist. Egypt is one of those places in the world I would not want to go to even if it were free.
The best games in the series were set in Italy with Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood.

The tie-in story whereby a member of the Assassins in present day goes into the Abstergo seems to go nowhere in this series and seems pointless.

I bought the deluxe edition online from the Best Buy boxing day sale. It is the same price on amazon.
There is a $55 season pass as well. Not sure if I will make time to play it enough to want to get the season pass content.

I ended up going with the PS4 version despite the XBox One X version being enhanced for mostly true native 4K.
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 1:32 pm
I was totally burnt out on AC after Black Flag as well and had played every one up to that point. In addition to what Redmask said there are a other new and refined mechanics that make the series feel fresh and fun again. Stuff like the completely revamped combat, variety of bows and melee weapons, cool tools, an eagle you can fly around , mounts and boats, and other stuff. It looks like AC on the surface and has moments reminiscent of the previous games but when you start digging into it, it feels very different and fun
Last edited by XFactor11 on Dec 25th, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2057 posts
199 upvotes
I want to buy Nier Automata on PS4. It's not on sale on Steam or the PSN and the normal price is a good deal lower for a physical copy on PS4, so why not right? I'm at work in the middle of nowhere right now, so ordering online is my only option, but I'd prefer in-store pickup if possible (OR Amazons Canada Post drop off).

Best Buy has it on sale, but can't do in-store pickup and wants to charge $9 and take three weeks to ship it. WTF - just on principal that can **** off.
It's out of stock from Amazon and the marketplace sellers that have it want $14 more than Amazons listing or $19 more than Best Buy.
EB only has it used, which is okay I guess - but it's more expensive than the new copy at Best Buy or Amazon and the store nearest to me can't confirm their stock/do in-store pickup.
Walmart doesn't have a listing for it.
London Drugs doesn't have a listing for it.

I have never had this much trouble buying a game before. Where else do you guys buy games? I'm in Calgary.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
$29.99 at bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ni ... 73937.aspx?

$34.99 on amazon (can place a backorder)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B071FZDTP2

$80 on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/524220/NieRAutomata/

Ascott wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 8:42 pm
I want to buy Nier Automata on PS4. It's not on sale on Steam or the PSN and the normal price is a good deal lower for a physical copy on PS4, so why not right? I'm at work in the middle of nowhere right now, so ordering online is my only option, but I'd prefer in-store pickup if possible (OR Amazons Canada Post drop off).

Best Buy has it on sale, but can't do in-store pickup and wants to charge $9 and take three weeks to ship it. WTF - just on principal that can **** off.
It's out of stock from Amazon and the marketplace sellers that have it want $14 more than Amazons listing or $19 more than Best Buy.
EB only has it used, which is okay I guess - but it's more expensive than the new copy at Best Buy or Amazon and the store nearest to me can't confirm their stock/do in-store pickup.
Walmart doesn't have a listing for it.
London Drugs doesn't have a listing for it.

I have never had this much trouble buying a game before. Where else do you guys buy games? I'm in Calgary.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
Digital Foundry's best gaming technology of 2017:
(Graphics engine technology and physics they were most impressed with)

7. Nex Machina
6. The Surge
5. Gravity Rush 2
4. Claybook
3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Assassins Creed: Origins
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
Last edited by XFactor11 on Dec 28th, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
The runaway winner for the most Game of the Year 2017 awards is The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch).

https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2017/09/ ... -year.html

* The Winners of this year *

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 125
The Critics' Picks - 104
The Readers' Picks - 21

Horizon Zero Dawn - 31
The Critics' Picks - 20
The Readers' Picks - 11

Super Mario Odyssey - 19
The Critics' Picks - 18
The Readers' Picks - 1

NieR: Automata - 8
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - 7
Persona 5 - 6
Assassin's Creed Origins - 2
Divinity: Original Sin II - 2
Prey - 2
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - 1
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 1

Last edited by XFactor11 on Dec 28th, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4899 posts
668 upvotes
calgary
Whatd everyone play over the break? I got an Xbox one X so I was testing out a bunch of old games in addition to playing some new ones (the witcher 3 looks insane at 4K with HDR)

I finally finished Wolf 2, I enjoyed it for the most part, I still think the combat has some issues but its easy to overlook given how interesting that world is and how fun those characters are. In order to get through some of the trickier parts I actually just manually saved at certain intervals during the firefight sequences which made them a bit more manageable and ultimately more enjoyable. Every single cutscene in that game was so well incredibly well done and well the overarching story was pretty by the numbers and felt very similar to the first one I felt much better about the ending. It looks really really nice in 4K, a huge upgrade over the one S version.

Also beat Super Lucky Tales, it had way more charm and personality then it had any right to have and the platforming was surprisingly enjoyable. I really enjoyed it for what it was and would certainly recommend it if you want a cheap, light, easy platformer. It was much more enjoyable than Yooka Laylee and I didn't take too long to beat, I think I was able to collect everything in the game in about 8 hours.

Played a bunch more PUBG, still enjoying that game and it looks and runs a lot better on the Xbox one X.

Also got Mario Odyssey and Mario plus Rabbids, in addition to a pro controller for the Switch. Odyssey seems every bit as good as everyone has been saying and feels like a true successor to mario 64, however surprisingly its Mario + Rabbids that's consumed all my Switch time and put Odyssey on the backburner. I havent played an Xcom style game since many years ago when Xcom was a PC only title but Im really enjoying this style of gameplay, it also is probably the nicest looking nintendo game I've seen probably owing to being developed by Ubisoft in the snowdrop engine. Also the OST in this game is really nice, it was done by Grant Kirkhope of Rare fame so it combines that signature Rare OST with Mario and it sounds really nice.

Picked up Origins on boxing day too for 40$ from bestbuy but I only got around to installing it and havent actually played it yet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Was mostly playing on PC all holiday but did finish Lost Legacy on PS4 which I mentioned is one of my favorites of the year. Bought and started playing a bit of Infamous Second Son but haven't really got into it yet because I'm so addicted to AC:Origins right now.

Played a lot of SNES classic when people were over during the holidays but not much console gaming otherwise
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 12:01 pm
Whatd everyone play over the break? I got an Xbox one X so I was testing out a bunch of old games in addition to playing some new ones (the witcher 3 looks insane at 4K with HDR)
Where did you get your xbox one x from? Ebgames? Did they give you $175 for your S? Shame you had already bought PUBG since you get i free if you bought the X before Jan 1st. I've been millimeters away from pulling the trigger, just need to convince myself that I should.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4899 posts
668 upvotes
calgary
Bryson wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 6:21 pm
Where did you get your xbox one x from? Ebgames? Did they give you $175 for your S? Shame you had already bought PUBG since you get i free if you bought the X before Jan 1st. I've been millimeters away from pulling the trigger, just need to convince myself that I should.
I got it for Xmas from my wife, no PUBG code because I'm assuming it was purchased before but I already had it so I'm not going to sweat it.

I did trade my One S for 180$ and grabbed the Pro Controller for the switch and a new headset because my old Sony Golds were crapping out. I think the trade in values are store specific because I was quoted at another EBgames on boxing day for 160$, then a few days later I asked at another EBgames and they offered me 180$. I was going to sell it but given the boxing day deals and that I wanted to keep the white controller I figured I probably wouldn't get much more then 200$ and didn't want to go through that hassle.

The console itself is quite a nice upgrade, it looks great and it runs really quiet and some of these games look like a full generation better. I'm quite happy with the upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6117 posts
863 upvotes
Grimsby
I finished Assassin's Creed: Origins and still have a very favorable memory of it. Bayek was a solid protagonist and the setting was way more interesting than I expected. The main story has some clarity issues and overstays its welcome but overall the best AC game in years and a major reinvention of the franchise. The game is also stunning and a definite showcase for HDR. I moved onto Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on PC, using my Steam Link and Steam Controller for a change. The PC port is really well done and I have a weakness for Falcom games. I also made a lot of progress in Super Mario Odyssey and started Persona 5. I can see why both games won so many awards.

I have a ton of games still to play on Switch and PS4 but sadly my Xbox One X is now sitting quiet after finishing AC:O. Microsoft really fumbled their software lineup last year, I hope they start to show us some improvement soon because the brand is really taking a hit IMO.

My new years resolution was the same as every year, stop buying new games until I beat my old ones. Never happens lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:53 pm
I have a ton of games still to play on Switch and PS4 but sadly my Xbox One X is now sitting quiet after finishing AC:O. Microsoft really fumbled their software lineup last year, I hope they start to show us some improvement soon because the brand is really taking a hit IMO.
I get that you just got the X and wanted something new to play on it but you didn't even need to play AC:O on that and could've got the same experience on PC but at 60fps and higher detail. I seriously can't get enough of that game lately and haven't had that addiction to do "one more quest" since TW3. Never imagined being this addicted to an AC game at this point