• Dec 6th, 2018 9:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2109 posts
594 upvotes
Edmonton
I finished golf story over the break. It is a really fun and slightly funny game. The golfing is surprisingly solid. It's really fun and challenging and never gets stale.

I started Undertale at the end of the break ... all I can say is WTF?!?! It is a different game. I think I'm maybe 3/4 of the way through.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6732 posts
1679 upvotes
The Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console of all-time in the USA.

PS4 sales in Japan have surpassed lifetime PS Vita sales.
The Nintendo Switch has also outsold the Nintendo Wii U's lifetime sales in Japan already.

https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-s ... onsole-us/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ninten ... ths.14237/

Game attach rate: Over 55% of Switch owners own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Over 60% own Super Mario Odyssey.
Over 50% own Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition and over 20% own Splatoon 2.

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2109 posts
594 upvotes
Edmonton
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:39 am
The Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console of all-time in the USA.
I'm really impressed! I did not expect it to do this well at all. Not even close.

That being said, I couldn't resist they hype either and had to pick one up for myself Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:48 pm
I'm really impressed! I did not expect it to do this well at all. Not even close.

That being said, I couldn't resist they hype either and had to pick one up for myself Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes.
same did not expect them to do this well but for some reason despite still spending a ridiculous amount of hours playing 3DS and WiiU to this day I'm not hyped at all to get one, at least not yet. Every time I play one I'm totally underwhelmed by the hardware but I haven't spent much time with it in handheld mode, just docked couch co-op games and a bit of BOTW which is great but already own on WiiU. I'm sure Odyssey is amazing but I can't fathom spending over $500 to play that one game on that hardware
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
I spent $399 once upon a time to play Bloodborne so spending $399 to play Mario and BOTW was worth it to me :)

But I hear ya man, its hard when you've already got so much content elsewhere too.

Anyways kudos to Nintendo for a comeback, they were looking pretty inept after the Wii U.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 6:33 pm
I got it for Xmas from my wife, no PUBG code because I'm assuming it was purchased before but I already had it so I'm not going to sweat it.
Nice wife! Where can I find one of those? :)

Just got home with my brand spanking new Xbox One X. This thing better be worth it. Thought about putting the money towards upgrading my PC.

I don't even have a 4K TV yet. With CES 2018 going on, better to wait and see which new models and technologies are announced or worst case pick up last years model on discount.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
I've been putting the Xbox One X through it's paces. First impression is this sucker has some weight to it! I mean I know they put the power brick inside but I didn't know they put an actual brick inside lol. I like the matte black finish. I never liked the charcoal grey of the Xbox One S. No off colors for me. I like my appliances to be either black or white except for my purple gamecube, I loved that thing to death! The X is dead silent. It's even quieter than my S which was already pretty quiet!

First game I tried on the X was my personal 2016 GOTY, DOOM! The game looks super sharp and vibrant because of it. It's like getting Lasik done to your eyes or putting on a pair of glasses for the first time! When Bethseda finally releases the 4K patch for this game I will be a happy boy!

LA Noire Remaster - I tried finally playing through this game on the 360 a couple of weeks back since I already owned it but decided to put it down 60% through becaiuse of the jaggies and framedrops even though I loved the game! The Remaster on the One looks better no doubt but still rather disappointing with jaggies everywhere! Honesty not sure which I was more surprised by, how bad this 7 year old game looked on the One or how good it looked on the X! No jaggies anywhere with the X! It literally looks like a Remaster of the Remaster! I noticed this is an X enhanced title and I can see why. I have no idea if PS4 or PS4 Pro versions have jaggies.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance via back compatibility - Wow you can see the sharpness right from the initial splash screen. It looks like the super hi-def picture you see of the main characters when you first load into Uncharted 4. Much improved over the S. Felt like I was playing a movie instead of a game. I wonder how Bayonetta on the X looks like compared to the PC Remaster.

Quamtum Break looks great! Game looked like a 720p blurry mess on base Xbox.

Gear of War 4 is probably the best looking game out of all the ones I tried. Those 4K assets really make a huge difference.

Overall every game I played saw an improvement to the point where the X truly feels like a next gen console. Remember this is on a 1080p screen so if anyone asks can you notice a difference on 1080p then yes you can but If you own a 4k HDR TV? Then your eyes will melt and cry with joy! Anyone who plays against someone with an X online will be at a disadvantage because of the improved visuals and more stable framerate. *cough*PUBG*cough*
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6732 posts
1679 upvotes
I am using my XBox One X mostly as a 4K UHD player.

4K UHD Movies look and sound amazing on it with this OLED TV. I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

The XBox One X is supposed to be not as good at playing 4K UHD disc movies compared to standalone players but I tweaked the settings on my TV and they are a
big upgrade over Blu-Ray discs.

Old games like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Bayonetta run at a locked 60 frames per second and higher resolution on XBox One X.
However, a lot of old games are not supported via backwards compatibility still. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Tales of Vesperia are among
the best ones that do not work.

For exclusive games, Sony and Nintendo have better offerings than Microsoft.

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:39 pm
I am using my XBox One X mostly as a 4K UHD player.

4K UHD Movies look and sound amazing on it with this OLED TV. I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

The XBox One X is supposed to be not as good at playing 4K UHD disc movies compared to standalone players but I tweaked the settings on my TV and they are a
big upgrade over Blu-Ray discs.

Old games like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Bayonetta run at a locked 60 frames per second and higher resolution on XBox One X.
However, a lot of old games are not supported via backwards compatibility still. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Tales of Vesperia are among
the best ones that do not work.

For exclusive games, Sony and Nintendo have better offerings than Microsoft.

I still own every single console I've ever bought but with back compatibility and remasters I truly see no reason to own a 360. I still have some exclusives to go through on the PS3, mostly Rachet & Clank and Sly Cooper series. The only game I have yet to go through on the 360 is Saints Row and that game is unplayable. Just too ugly. I never was a graphics snob but 2017 changed that for me. Plus my 360 is finally starting to develop RROD. This thing has been a sturdy tank for me all these years so hard to get mad now.

For sure Sony and Nintendo have the better exclusives. That will not change any time soon and probably not during this generation. Phil Spencer said that they are starting to look for new game studios to invest in. It takes about 3-5 years to make a game so that means we won't see any new exclusives on Xbox aside from Gears, Forza and Halo until at least next gen. They have been showing Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves for what feels like a decade now, If they had anything else to show by now they would have.

We won't get every game via back compat because if we did then companies wouldn't be able to charge us $80 for the Remaster lol. That much is obvious. Still for any xbox fanboys, the X is a worthy upgrade. I would like to upgrade my PC to see how far I can push the graphics but you won't be able to get similar visual fidelity of the X on the PC at that price point and will likely cost double easily. If the base Xbox One is like running on low settings then the X is like running on Ultra settings.

I agree about MGS HD. I have yet to play PeaceWalker and if it was made back compat it would bring an influx of players to the online portion of the game which would be fun.
Sep 29, 2011
5 posts
So which place in Vaughan/Markham still does modding for consoles? Preferably where you can also buy modded vita, 3ds, etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
Im not totally surprised that Nintendo has found some success with the Switch, the concept of a portable that docks into your home theatre was something that I loved from when it was leaked several years ago and something that I thought could be quite successful with the masses.

All though I am totally shocked with just how successful this system has actually been. This is more successful than the Wii to this point without the gimmick/mass appeal of motion controls.
Nintendo killed it from the beginning with its clear and concise marketing to the sheer quality and quantity of Nintendo titles released in the first 8 months.

WiiU was kind of a half step to this concept, the attempt to do the second screen gaming thing on console never really took off but having off-screen play was something that was incredibly useful despite the low res screen and limited range. Also the WiiU allowed Nintendo to cut its teeth with HD gaming. The WiiU was a mistake but Nintendo learned a ton of valuable lessons from it.
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:57 pm
same did not expect them to do this well but for some reason despite still spending a ridiculous amount of hours playing 3DS and WiiU to this day I'm not hyped at all to get one, at least not yet. Every time I play one I'm totally underwhelmed by the hardware but I haven't spent much time with it in handheld mode, just docked couch co-op games and a bit of BOTW which is great but already own on WiiU. I'm sure Odyssey is amazing but I can't fathom spending over $500 to play that one game on that hardware
I don't look at it is paying 400$ to play one game at launch, its 400$ to play games over the course its lifespan, I could wait a year or two and get a 100$ knocked off or some pack-ins but I love trying out new tech (espiecally new videogame consoles) and this gives me the chance to play games as they are released instead of trying to go through 2-3 years of backlog when I buy the system down the road.

Honestly having it for BOTW alone was worth it, well the hardware isn't very impressive from a horsepower standpoint its flexibility and portability are great. My only regret is not pairing my Switch with the Pro Controller earlier.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 1:03 pm
I don't look at it is paying 400$ to play one game at launch, its 400$ to play games over the course its lifespan, I could wait a year or two and get a 100$ knocked off or some pack-ins but I love trying out new tech (espiecally new videogame consoles) and this gives me the chance to play games as they are released instead of trying to go through 2-3 years of backlog when I buy the system down the road.

Honestly having it for BOTW alone was worth it, well the hardware isn't very impressive from a horsepower standpoint its flexibility and portability are great. My only regret is not pairing my Switch with the Pro Controller earlier.
Hmm well $399 console + $80 game + tax is just a tad more than $400 lol. That's not even including extra controllers or accessories. It might be more worth it when there are more games but right now that's a bit too much for what would basically be a Mario Odyssey machine for me. I was interested in Xenoblade 2 but the mixed reception sort of killed that hype for me and I don't think i can deal with another 100 hour JRPG any time soon either way.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 2:17 pm
Hmm well $399 console + $80 game + tax is just a tad more than $400 lol. That's not even including extra controllers or accessories. It might be more worth it when there are more games but right now that's a bit too much for what would basically be a Mario Odyssey machine for me. I was interested in Xenoblade 2 but the mixed reception sort of killed that hype for me and I don't think i can deal with another 100 hour JRPG any time soon either way.
I think you missed my point, which was that I didn't buy it just to play Zelda/Mario Odyssey but also Metroid Prime, Pokemon, and whatever else Nintendo decides to put on it in the next 4+ years. Its an investment of sorts. I could wait a year or two for a small price drop and bigger catalog but then I'll have 2-3+ years of games to sort through.

Also Mario + Rabbids, that game is legit amazing.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
The Switch is basically what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be but the technology just was not available yet. The Switch is basically a tablet version of the Nvidia Shield which came out in 2015, two years later we got the Switch! The Wii U came out in 2012. Even then I dont think that anyone could have predicted the meteoric success of the Switch, not even Nintendo.

It's simple, marketing is what killed the Wii U. Such a simple thing as a name probably cost them Billions in sales. They tried to capitalize on the brand name and success of the Wii but it backfired because people thought why should I spend 400-500$ on another Wii? The Wii U was not a mistake. It was a brand new more powerful system that could do everything the Wii could and more. If the Wii was a success, there's no reason to think that the Wii U couldn't either.

Much of the sales of the Switch was carried by the first party heavy hitters like Mario and Zelda. Which games will carry the Switch in 2018? Will we see another Mario and Zelda on the Switch? Every single game in the Zelda franchise has been re-re;leased except for Skyward Sword. Time to re-release that game without the gimmicky controls!

Mario + Rabbids is the only Switch game I'm legit interested in playing. Hear lots of good things about that one.