Console Gaming General Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2018 11:28 am
Tags:
None
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
The Switch is basically what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be but the technology just was not available yet. The Switch is basically a tablet version of the Nvidia Shield which came out in 2015, two years later we got the Switch! The Wii U came out in 2012. Even then I dont think that anyone could have predicted the meteoric success of the Switch, not even Nintendo.

It's simple, marketing is what killed the Wii U. Such a simple thing as a name probably cost them Billions in sales. They tried to capitalize on the brand name and success of the Wii but it backfired because people thought why should I spend 400-500$ on another Wii? The Wii U was not a mistake. It was a brand new more powerful system that could do everything the Wii could and more. If the Wii was a success, there's no reason to think that the Wii U couldn't either.

Much of the sales of the Switch was carried by the first party heavy hitters like Mario and Zelda. Which games will carry the Switch in 2018? Will we see another Mario and Zelda on the Switch? Every single game in the Zelda franchise has been re-re;leased except for Skyward Sword. Time to re-release that game without the gimmicky controls!

Mario + Rabbids is the only Switch game I'm legit interested in playing. Hear lots of good things about that one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:03 pm
I think you missed my point, which was that I didn't buy it just to play Zelda/Mario Odyssey but also Metroid Prime, Pokemon, and whatever else Nintendo decides to put on it in the next 4+ years. Its an investment of sorts. I could wait a year or two for a small price drop and bigger catalog but then I'll have 2-3+ years of games to sort through.

Also Mario + Rabbids, that game is legit amazing.
Ya I see what you mean about the investment but I personally get annoyed when I have expensive new hardware sitting around with nothing to do on it for months on end. As it is I got my PS4 years after release and in less than a year I'm already almost out of stuff to play on it despite Sony's pumping out exclusives at a decent pace.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1693 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
I finally completed Breath of the Wild! It was a great game I played occasionally over the last ten months, but I finally pushed myself to finish it over the holidays.

Maybe it was the vast open world that made me lost interest in the game at times. I also did not find the side quests rewarding or appealing.

Still, I liked the ability to climb and travel everywhere. The shrines and temples were fun too.

Currently playing Persona 5. January is the best time of the year for a long JRPG.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
It depends on how much you want it. I am a big game enthusiast and I own all consoles.
Making time to finish them is another story since I usually work 6 days a week with a lot of overtime.

For this generation of consoles, I already own 14 Nintendo Switch games, 100+ PS4 games, around 10 XBox One X games, and about 20 Wii U games.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:43 pm
I finally completed Breath of the Wild! It was a great game I played occasionally over the last ten months, but I finally pushed myself to finish it over the holidays.
Maybe it was the vast open world that made me lost interest in the game at times. I also did not find the side quests rewarding or appealing.
This is exactly why I don't consider it my GOTY anymore. I really enjoyed the first 40 hours or so but the lack of structure, story and appealing side quests makes me feeling like I'm forcing myself to finish it at this point. I've hit a point where most of the shrines and side quests feel like a chore and I'm only really enjoying the main quests
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1684 posts
710 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone who owns the switch, how much would you recommend the pro controller if you have it.

Is it a huge quality of life difference like the Wii U pro controllers? Or is just a nice to have.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
The Switch Pro controller is the best way to play any Nintendo Switch games, except for maybe 1-2 Switch.
The other controller methods are perfectly viable but not as ergonomic as using a Pro controller.

I use the Switch in docked mode connected to a TV 80% of the time. The Pro Controller can be used for both portable and docked modes.
Dpack22 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm
Anyone who owns the switch, how much would you recommend the pro controller if you have it.

Is it a huge quality of life difference like the Wii U pro controllers? Or is just a nice to have.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4899 posts
668 upvotes
calgary
Zelda is my GOTY. Honestly what it does better than any game I've ever played is it lures you to different places with interesting things (shrines/temples) and offers a lot of random, cool stuff in between. I'd say if you dont care or enjoy the the shrines and don't actively seek them out I imagine it breaks down a bit at that point. For me I don't think a game has so effortlessly carried me through its world. Its just such a fun and interesting world one that feels familar but new at the same time with so many interesting things to stumble into.

I found the Witcher had a bit of this but it didn't give you too much reason to go off the beaten path and explore, but when you did and came across something cool it was the most rewarding portions of that game.

I know there were some complaints about the DLC but personally I loved it because it just added a bunch of new shrines (which IMO were better than most of the ones in the main game).

Dpack22 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm

Had a switch since launch and I got one over the holidays, honestly I wish I had it sooner. Its one of those things that you don't necessarily need but if you can afford one its a night and day difference from the JoyCon. The price tag is steep but it makes playing games in docked mode so much more enjoyable.

The controller itself is really really nice, honestly I'm going back and forth in my mind as to whether its better then my beloved XB1 controller.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6117 posts
863 upvotes
Grimsby
The Pro controller is an absolute must IMO, I can't stand using the Switch controls longer than an hour.
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:31 pm
I get that you just got the X and wanted something new to play on it but you didn't even need to play AC:O on that and could've got the same experience on PC but at 60fps and higher detail. I seriously can't get enough of that game lately and haven't had that addiction to do "one more quest" since TW3. Never imagined being this addicted to an AC game at this point
I'm glad to hear all the positive feedback on AC:O! Question, do you play on a monitor? Wouldn't it be more immersive to play on a TV with HDR? I get that PC has higher framerates and details but HDR is a game changer no? I know that HDR was released on PC in patch 1.1 so you could always hook up your PC to your TV and get the best of both worlds? The game is $130 for the gold edition which is too rich for my blood so will wait until it comes down.

Still credit where credit is due, Ubisoft took a year off to work on AC:O. There's huge praise coming from The Division community because the game finally feels complete, similar to how Destiny 1 became good after the expansion DLCs. Rainbow Six Siege continues to have a thriving online community and they continue to fix and add content to For Honor and Ghost Recon Wildlands so kudos to Ubisoft for sticking by their games and I expect the same level of support and commitment for AC:O. Oh yea and Egypt totally appealed to me as a setting from the moment I saw it!
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 12:39 pm
I am using my XBox One X mostly as a 4K UHD player.

4K UHD Movies look and sound amazing on it with this OLED TV. I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

The XBox One X is supposed to be not as good at playing 4K UHD disc movies compared to standalone players but I tweaked the settings on my TV and they are a
big upgrade over Blu-Ray discs.
I went to bestbuy today to look at all the sets and see what all the fuss about HDR is all about and all I can say is wow! I stood infront of that OLED TV and didn't move for 10 minutes LMAO! I was pretty impressed by QLED but honestly all the high end TVs were vibrant and impressive even the Sony x900 series.

I'm not in the market for a high end TV but rumor is that Samsung's new FALD Qled and MicroLED might surpass OLED in visual quality! However it will come at a price premium so OLED might remain the better buy for the average consumer.

Watch this video:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... irst-look/

I am looking to buy either a 4K monitor or Samsung MU6300 TV for console gaming before jumping into Uncharted Lost Legacy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6205 posts
1405 upvotes
PS5 in 2019? Most of Sony's last big PS4 game announcements are slated to release this year in 2018 and a few in 2019.
Leading to speculation that the PS5 will launch holiday of 2019.

The PS4 is set to surpass the PS3's lifetime sales by the middle of this year, in only 4 and a half years after its November 2013 launch.
It took PS3 almost 8 to 9 years to sell 86 million consoles. Once PS4 released, PS3 sales stagnated completely and consumers bought the new console instead.

PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 73.6 million units*2 globally as of December 31, 2017.
PS4 has sold through to consumers more than 5.9 million units*1 during the 2017 holiday season.
More than 55.9 million*3 PS4 games were sold during the 2017 holiday season in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store.
This totals up to 645.0 million copies*4 cumulatively sold as of December 31, 2017.

source:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/playst ... -5m.15121/
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 79105.html

20.2 million consoles sold in 2017.

2017:

2016 comparison:
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 9th, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
Actually the recent rumor this week and has the interwebs in a buzz comes from youtuber DreamcastGuy who claims to have an inside source that xbox will be releasing their next console in 2019. He claims that MS is deathly afraid of the PS5 and they think that the only reason the xbox 360 was successful is because it launched a full year earlier than PS3. Disregarding the fact that people started to buy the PS3 once they started to lower the price and because of the games. Xbox is going the opposite direction. High price, no games. Not to mention that rushing to launch the xbox360 cost them millions because of faulty hardware and the RROD.

I've been thinking about this and 2019 would be too soon. The only way to create a console more powerful than the Xbox One X would be to release another $500 console and that would be a mistake. Sony has no need to create a new gen console. PS4s are still selling like hotcakes and they own the current generation. Question is how long do they want to let MS have the most powerful console on the market? On the other hand MS has the most powerful console, all they need now is the games.

I am hearing rumors the next Gen consoles will target 10 terraflops and be based on Ryzen technology. What do you guys think? When do you think the next gen console will be released and are you looking forward to it?
May 9, 2007
906 posts
238 upvotes
I am still shocked by how good the LA Noire Remaster looks on the Xbox One X compared to the S. I think it looks even better than PC. Everything is so sharp!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5462 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Waaaaay too early for new consoles but it won't surprise me if they do release in 2019 because there will be a market for them either way. That said if MS thinks simply releasing earlier is the answer to their problems then they're doomed. The 360 was successful and appealing for a variety of reasons I touched on before in this thread, not simply because it was out earlier.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)